Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The best "farm jack" available right now is probably the Hi-Lift Jack, probably what your picture is.

The best place to purchase it is someplace you can go and pick it up.
You can buy one on Amazon but they're going to ship it to you, even if you're a Prime member they'll still get you on the price for shipping it to you because it's so bulky.

You can buy a cheaper Farm Jack at a place like Harbor Freight, they're not the same quality as a Hi-Lift, not sure I'd trust it.
It looks from your avatar that you have a big heavy truck, i would get the 60" Hi-Lift were it me.
I have used every bit of my 60" jack and I drive a relatively smaller car than you.

I carry mine on my roof rack, inside the rack. I've carried it on the outside but it always seems to be susceptible to tree snags.
I don't like carrying such a heavy thing on the roof, but it's the only viable spot for me for now.

Dan.

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The best "farm jack" available right now is probably the Hi-Lift Jack, probably what your picture is.

The best place to purchase it is someplace you can go and pick it up.
You can buy one on Amazon but they're going to ship it to you, even if you're a Prime member they'll still get you on the price for shipping it to you because it's so bulky.

You can buy a cheaper Farm Jack at a place like Harbor Freight, they're not the same quality as a Hi-Lift, not sure I'd trust it.
It looks from your avatar that you have a big heavy truck, i would get the 60" Hi-Lift were it me.
I have used every bit of my 60" jack and I drive a relatively smaller car than you.

I carry mine on my roof rack, inside the rack. I've carried it on the outside but it always seems to be susceptible to tree snags.
I don't like carrying such a heavy thing on the roof, but it's the only viable spot for me for now.

Dan.
Agree with fj80toyman Hi Lift are the best jacks around of this type, yes you can get look a likes but these are the best. Hi Lift also do a load of accessories to go with them. I have a pair of Hi Lift mounts fitted to my roof rack.

Reactions: jacksmom1313

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original Hi-Lift brand is the only one with a removable handle which can come in handy as extra leverage loosening things and we even used one to repair a steering linkage that was broken to get a buddy off the trail once. Can't do that with the handle on the knock-off jacks.

I got my first one from craigslist for like $20 and sold it to a buddy for that later. My second one I bought new and my third one I got for free because it was bent. I straightened it by disassembling it and driving up on it with one end up on a bit of wood. It's still got a little bit of bend to it but it works full travel and I've lifted some heavy stuff with it, including having both rear tires of my K5 in the air trying to break the bead on an old tire I was trying to get the rim out of.

I pulled the cotter pin out of the foot and handle of both of mine and replaced them with 1/4" hitch pins from Tractor Supply so it is easy to break them completely down if I want. Plus having the handle out is nice to bash the direction selector with when you need to let down the load.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Tractor Supply, at least here on the eastern coast, stopped carrying Hi-Lift brand and is carrying the Reese knock-off. Doesn't have removable handle and isn't really much cheaper IIRC.

Sportsman's Warehouse is the only place I can remember close to me that sells the actual Hi-Lift brand in the store.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I would urge any one buying a farm jack to learn the does and donts on using it check out the info on youtube a very dangerous bit of kit ive own one for over twenty years Stays in the garage Use a big old bottle jack safer Just my opinion

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Where is the best place to purchase a jack?
I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on the item as I hope to never need it but then again ya never know.

Where do you all mount your jack at and how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app
Give me a city location for you and I'll see if I can round you up one. I see a lot in CL and other sources

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley Springs, WV, USA
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP
Hi-Lift is a good tool to have, I have one................however it is heavy, bulky, hard to mount sometimes. As a matter of fact, I just took mine off last night and put it in the garage. I don't plan on carrying it around anymore. I have had it for years and never used it. I have a Warn winch, Maxtrax and a shovel. For now that will be what I carry........... My next trip is May 5-22 New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The 48" fits under the seat of my Xterra with the foot removed, so it's stowed neatly with my axe and small shovel. Out of the weather and secured.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I pesonally think the farm jacks Exsactly what it says a farm tool or heavey plant. Useless in most situations the odd occasion it would be practacal a big old bottle jack will do the same job , Now people might might say pulled me out or ive used it many times. Well good but for me. Too big bulky and even though i can use it safely and it LOOKS GOOD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROOF RACK OR WHEEL CARRIER LOL
ITS STAYING IN THE GARAGE BnT

Reactions: Scott K

Elite Overland Crew

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewright, TX
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Stibbens
Member #

They are handy and dangerous for sure had one fail on me while changing a trail trailer tire. Not a fun moment at all
Definitely go out on YouTube and search for maintenance on a hi lift its worth watching.
Keeping the mechanisms greased is the key and a jack base is worth the investment.

Respect the tool and what it is doing plus they look cool!
LOL!!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I've seen too many failures and near misses with hi lift/ farm jacks to trust them anymore. Sure they look "cool", but that's about all they do for me. I'll stick to my bottle jacks, and I plan to upgrade everything with my bottle jack setup to the Safe Jack equipment.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I probably wouldn't use my jack more that an handful of times so I wasn't about to pay full retail. You can find them on the Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and local buy/sell/trade pages from time to time. The best deal on a new one is from Smittybilt for around $60. I would hold out until you could find a deal on a used one. I paid $30 because it had surface rust. A quick clean up and all is good.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Unfortunately the first time most people use a hi lift jack is also the first time they need to use one. With no practice in a reasonably controlled and safe setting they are very dangerous. Though they don't get used much, they can be the perfect and safe tool for the job. A bottle jack is also a great tool, but not always as safe or practical in certain situations. I would put money on most Hi lift jack accidents being operator error except for the Chinese knock of jacks failing due to poor materials and shoddy craftsmanship. I have seen the knock offs bend even when within the load ratings and the mechanisms fail from loose tolerances. For this reason I spent the couple extra bucks for a new forged hi lift. I know that it wasn't overloaded or abused and it is not made of weaker stamped steel that will eventually bend. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $100. Pretty cheap insurance if it's going to be more that a rack decoration. I also bought the hi lift base that makes a huge and safer footprint, especially in the soft stuff. Since I have sliders on the side of my Tacoma that will support the weight of the truck I built an adapter to keep the jack from sliding around. They sell these, but since they don't really support the weight and just keep it from moving I decided to zap it together myself. If you have one, definitely try it first, on anything if you don't want to scratch something up jack up a tractor or something, but definitely figure out how to use it because they are not easy or safe to learn how to use on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Boort

Mark Dabrow

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wesley Chapel FL
Member #

Where is the best place to purchase a jack?
I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on the item as I hope to never need it but then again ya never know.

Where do you all mount your jack at and how?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app
Picked up mine from 4 wheel parts, mounted it on the A post panel just forward of the door. Used the Bolt J mountIMG_1925.JPG

Reactions: leeandamy