Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
How did you determine where to weld the mounts for the wheels and suspension?
Math mostly.. but I built my trailing arms, then dry fit everything before I welded in the cross member for the trailing arms. Wheels are centered in the wells when fully compressed but ride slightly forward in the wells due to the geometry of trailing arms on angles. Then mounted the shocks where they were as close to traveling straight as possible without bottoming out before hitting the bump stops.

Reactions: ADVchef

Krupky

Rank I

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
Member #

Wow - Really nice build!

I’m in the planning stages of my build and was curious about your use of aluminum siding. Is it just glued on? Sorry if you already stated this. I really like the look of it.

Thanks for sharing!

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Wow - Really nice build!

I’m in the planning stages of my build and was curious about your use of aluminum siding. Is it just glued on? Sorry if you already stated this. I really like the look of it.

Thanks for sharing!
The glue doesn't really hold up long term, I found that the edge trim around the exterior and around the doors/openings are sufficient to hold things in place and allows for the metal to expand and contract with the temperature. The screws penetrate the molding, go through butyl tape for primary weather seal, then some Eternabond seal tape that I used as a corner seal tape, then through the siding and into the plywood.

monty97

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oskaloosa, IA, USA
Member #

Where did you source the aluminum sheeting from? I am currently designing my trailer as a 5' tall x 10' long body but am struggling with finding a supplier for the aluminum sheeting.
Thanks and your build looks phenomenal!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Where did you source the aluminum sheeting from? I am currently designing my trailer as a 5' tall x 10' long body but am struggling with finding a supplier for the aluminum sheeting.
Thanks and your build looks phenomenal!
I got it from a local supplier that builds aircraft.. but I can recommend www.cutsmetal.net as well, that is where I got my diamond plate

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Trailer update.. so after about a year of exposure, camping in the rain, driving in the rain.. etc the bottom 12" of the exterior sides have started to show some weather penetration. This is due to the humidity absorbed by the plywood causing a reaction to the wood that differs layer depending.. the bed liner is holding up quite well but I decided long term it would be smart to protect that plywood with aluminum siding over top of the bed liner. I found some 12" strips from www.cutsmetal.net (who I got the red diamond plate from) and removed all seals, added the new sheeting, and replaced the seals with new butyl tape and eternabond tape. Also I got some 285/70 r 17 BFG KO2s to match the rig.. now all wheels and spares match!
IMG_20190328_204948.jpg

Reactions: David S

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
RAD!...Love this thing...and its a DIY! off the chain!
Thanks! always a work in progress, working on a swing out for my full sized spare right now, I'll update the thread when its done.