Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK

Hey Team! PortageBay (Bob) back again for a 3 month stay working in Death Valley for the park service. I have 46 years experience traveling the backcountry here and enjoy sharing it.

This year will be a little tougher on backcountry travel due to the crazy flash flooding this summer. Much of the park is inaccessible. Please feel free to contact me for travel ideas aroad condition updates. I am based out of Texas Springs campground in the Furnace Creek area and will be here until January 15th

Wakebaby1

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Toney
Last Name
Albin
Member #

Love the FJ. That a Patriot Trailer ? We’re looking to do Death Valley possibly at Christmas Time Or April. We also tow an off-road trailer. We would like to see some of the old cabins and the Manson estate. Do you know what’s accessible with the trailer and open ?

Thank You,

Toney

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
Hi Toney!

Yep the trailer is a Patriot X2. The small one they don't usually import anymore but it did my needs perfectly. I've also owned AT Horizon trailers.
You should check in with me when you have dates. The longer you hold off the more roads will hopefully be open. Road closures are making Backcountry travel hard or impossible in many areas. With a little luck I'll have a few great options for cabins to visit!

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
Oops, I forgot to mention, the Manson Ranch burned down several years ago. The site is still there with foundations and junk lying around. Currently it is not accessible due to the closure of the Westside Rd.

Terrax

Rank II

Contributor III

Pacifica, California, United States
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Quiros
Member #

Hey Team! PortageBay (Bob) back again for a 3 month stay working in Death Valley for the park service. I have 46 years experience traveling the backcountry here and enjoy sharing it.

This year will be a little tougher on backcountry travel due to the crazy flash flooding this summer. Much of the park is inaccessible. Please feel free to contact me for travel ideas aroad condition updates. I am based out of Texas Springs campground in the Furnace Creek area and will be here until January 15th

Great photo!!

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

@wakebaby ---- plan to head to Searles, Look for TRONA WILDROSE RD. take the left (or right, depending if you are traveling south or north) onto Ballarat Rd. Once you hit the town, stop into the general store. When leaving, head south on Wingate rd. Eventually it will take you to Coyote Canyon. Travel that into the valley and Barker Ranch is right there. When leaving follow the trail in and youll come across several cabins on the route.
Best of luck, and safe travels!

Kauri

Rank I

Contributor III

Marin, CA, USA
First Name
Cooper
Last Name
Jacob
Hi Bob! I recall seeing you and your FJ featured on the DV NPS social media sites a while back. I've been going to DV since I was only a few years old, haven't been able to get back there since 2019 unfortunately, though I've stayed active on the DV forums. I'm hoping this year is the year to finally get to DV again, and if I do then I will try to stop by Texas Springs and say hello! - Kauri Jacob

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Bob, it was great to get to meet you this past week while we were in DV, We did manage to get a lot of exploring in while we were there, thanks for your advice on some trails we had a blast. Sure we will see you again down there one day

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Bob Thank you for the guidance and sharing a bit of history! Was fantastic to meet you and talk!

Hope to return before you head north......

JIm