Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Has anyone else been following the Expedition Overland Central America series? I saw the Alaska series last year and have been watching this new season. Episodes air on YouTube every Wednesday. I love this show. I wish a network would pick them up and give them some visibility.

I do have to say that Alaska was a bit more challenging terrain wise but the Central America series has been pretty good so far too.

Reactions: stoney126 and Kelly

Alex_Kulbaka

Rank III

Advocate II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I've discovered them as soon as Alaska series appeared and have been following them since.

I gotta admit that I liked the Alaska series better thus far as they showed more about the rigs and trails they went on.

The Central America series evolves around people interactions and different cultures. Haven't really seen much offroading and challenging obstacles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kelly

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Although I like to watch the videos, they seem to have gone a bit more commercial.  Lots of product placement, matching attire, almost like the production is a long and subtle advertisement.  It probably is a long and subtle advertisement!  Got to appease the sponsors.

That being said, I'll probably continue to watch the new releases.

Reactions: Kelly and Wolvee

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I agree the Alaska-Yukon series was more rig and terrain based, but some of the stuff on this series is pretty cool, like camping by the Mayan ruins and working with team 5 using their overland rigs for more than just enjoyment. I think most of the off-road stuff is still to come. The farther south they get the more primitive the roads will become, I think. Can't really blame them for the all the sponsor logo placement. I'd tattoo a logo on my forehead if it payed for my adventures.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

18461 said:
I agree the Alaska-Yukon series was more rig and terrain based, but some of the stuff on this series is pretty cool, like camping by the Mayan ruins and working with team 5 using their overland rigs for more than just enjoyment. I think most of the off-road stuff is still to come. The farther south they get the more primitive the roads will become, I think. Can’t really blame them for the all the sponsor logo placement. I’d tattoo a logo on my forehead if it payed for my adventures.
Seconded. Gear is expensive. I'll take discounts on gear wherever I can, prototypes, discounts, whatever it takes!

Reactions: Kelly and Cappy410

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
I've been watching it too. Their videos definately inspire me to keep exploring...

I've met several long term overlanders who've said "if you can swing it, avoid the sponsors". Even Gary and Monika Wescott (Turte Expedition) say that. The reason is because it sounds good until you're hamstrung meeting sponser contractual requirements. You can be sure they don't just give stuff away. And usually meeting contract requirements means altering your journey and keeping way too busy working. Depending on the contracts, the trip ends up being more work, less personal adventure travel.

Seems to me it's better to travel the way we see guys doing it on this forum.  Enjoying their adventures on a limited budget if need be.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Im a big fan of this video series too. I really enjoyed the first expedition to Alaska and that they were using 80 series Land cruisers. Someday, sometime, id like to take a similar trip in North America..

Trotto17

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Costal South Carolina
First Name
C
Last Name
Trotto
Member #

Huge fan of Xoverland! I have been following them from the start. I agree that the Yukon trip was much more about the driving and this season is more about the culture of the area.

Speaking of the Yukon trip dose anyone have a V1 Xoverland patch? Or know where to get one? I have been hunting one forever now!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I just watched this weeks episode and so far the series isn't making me want to visit Central America. Looks like more hassle than it's worth. I think I'll stick to the USA and Canada for my roaming. I'm looking forward to their crossing the Darien gap though. I like the dual story line with their wives rally racing. That looks pretty cool.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I've been following them for some time now and absolutely love the series. I agree that this season is a different flavor, but it's really growing on me. I love rigs and difficult trails as much as the next guy but I'm really enjoying the community and culture experiences overlanding has to offer as well. This season really seems to highlight that aspect. For example when the go into the village with Team 5... that was epic.
I'm always pumped for the next trip after watching an episode!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I found Overlanding because of E.O.. I have watched all of their expeditions at least a half dozen times. Heck, I downloaded their videos and watched them in camp in the middle of the forest. I even posted the first thread about the new season here for everyone to watch. I got to episode 3 and had to stop watching.

If I wanted to watch fake docudramas and car commercials, I'd have cable TV.

We'll always have the Yukon.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have been following it also. I enjoy it, however I don't like the super high dollar emphasis on the gear (even though I am a gear junky who spends way to much on it).

This is where I have to give a HUGE +1 to @administrator for showing us practical overlanding without any ridiculous over the top flair. He is showing us great stuff, half of which is DIY or installed himself. He didn't take it to a high end outfitter and have them install $50k in gear in two days. He is gradually working on things, fixing things.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I've been watching and following XO from the beginning and I am addicted to the series. Clay and his crew have inspired me to get out more and film as much as I can. I posted my first episode on youtube and will continue to produce more. (see the video in the overland trips then and now thread "410 Expedition Alberta Series") I agree with @mbwesner comments about Overland Bound but let's get pass all the high tech and expensive gadgets(and sponsors) XO has and just focus on the love of overlanding as a community. I myself am like Michael @administrator where I build most of my own overland gear, heck look at the overland trailer I built myself from scratch. I am damn proud of it, and show it off as much as I can. As for @Wolvee, I don't judge you because you drive a Ford but respect you because you have a passion for the outdoors and exploring with whatever wheels are under your seat. Whoa! this is getting to heavy, even for me! Anyhoo, love the community, the people, overlanding and ideas shared amongst us. Now get out and get lost in the adventure!

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I've been watching it too. Their videos definately inspire me to keep exploring...

I've met several long term overlanders who've said "if you can swing it, avoid the sponsors". Even Gary and Monika Wescott (Turte Expedition) say that. The reason is because it sounds good until you're hamstrung meeting sponser contractual requirements. You can be sure they don't just give stuff away. And usually meeting contract requirements means altering your journey and keeping way too busy working. Depending on the contracts, the trip ends up being more work, less personal adventure travel.

Seems to me it's better to travel the way we see guys doing it on this forum. Enjoying their adventures on a limited budget if need be.
I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@Cappy410 I love Toyotas too. :0) I said it the way I did mostly because there's so much commercial in their latest adventure. I wish I could get a Toyota that could tow my trailer, boat and car but towing capacities are so much lower in the smaller SUV's and little trucks. Towing is the only reason I have a full size truck. :0)

Reactions: Cappy410

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

First season was amazing. Second season sucks. I am super disappointed as they talk to much. I understand overlanding is about getting places by vehicle so they are showing the places and the adventure, but its also about the drive. SHOW THE DRIVE.

Reactions: Cappy410