Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Corrie

Expediciones De Las Americas - An Adventure of a Lifetime in 6 Stock Jeeps

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In 1978, a team of 14 people loaded up 6 stock Jeep CJs at the southern most point in South America and began a 5 month trek north to the Arctic Ocean. When Mike Arnold, a family man and business owner in Northern California, found out about the expedition he and his wife Sheri quickly realized this was a once in a lifetime chance.

After much consideration (and taking out a second mortgage on their home) Mike and Sheri took the plunge into the unknown. Mike set off for the adventure while Sheri held down the fort back home with their 2 children.

We were fortunate enough to sit down with both Mike and Sheri to talk about the experience and reminisce on the highs, lows and the 31 days spent crossing the Darien Gap (a dense jungle with no roads) inch by inch.

We hope you enjoy their story and use it for inspiration to create your own adventure no matter how big or small.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Reactions: JCWages and Rally1

Doc Glynn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South East Woodlands
Member #

I'm glad he briefly mentions the British Trans-Americas Expedition that took place in 1971-72, that was headed by Major John Blashford-Snell; an expedition that traveled from Alaska to Cape Horn, including the Darien Gap in Panama and Columbia, by way of 4x4 Range Rovers. Some good reading if anyone is interested, about the folks that did it first. I can't recall which publication it is; either "Where the Trail Runs Out" or "Something Lost Behind the Ranges". Great adventure, great video.......... adventures never end, if you wish it so.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That was a great video.I 'll bet sitting there and hearing it all first hand was even better, then to go and touch the actual Jeep - wow!!!!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Thank you for that!

It was great to learn more about the Jeepers as well. I always see the sign when I enter Georgetown and wonder.

ProRunner

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Belmont, NC, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Awesome story... Absolutely amazing what people before us have endured and concurred with little to nothing compared to today's standards.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I grew up in Bolivia from 1972 - 1975.
My dad was like these guys, we went down the Yungas Road once. We took a few treks into the Andes mountains to camp and fish. Good Times!

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

I grew up in Bolivia from 1972 - 1975.
My dad was like these guys, we went down the Yungas Road once. We took a few treks into the Andes mountains to camp and fish. Good Times!
Bolivia is a very beautiful country! I went there on my last trip and became a fan…