Expediciones De Las Americas - An Adventure of a Lifetime in 6 Stock Jeeps | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expediciones De Las Americas - An Adventure of a Lifetime in 6 Stock Jeeps

Discussion in 'General Overland Discussion' started by Corrie, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Corrie

Corrie Rank V
    Staff Member Moderator Founder 500 Member Supporter

Member #:

Map
    Corrie

Expediciones De Las Americas - An Adventure of a Lifetime in 6 Stock Jeeps

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In 1978, a team of 14 people loaded up 6 stock Jeep CJs at the southern most point in South America and began a 5 month trek north to the Arctic Ocean. When Mike Arnold, a family man and business owner in Northern California, found out about the expedition he and his wife Sheri quickly realized this was a once in a lifetime chance.

After much consideration (and taking out a second mortgage on their home) Mike and Sheri took the plunge into the unknown. Mike set off for the adventure while Sheri held down the fort back home with their 2 children.

We were fortunate enough to sit down with both Mike and Sheri to talk about the experience and reminisce on the highs, lows and the 31 days spent crossing the Darien Gap (a dense jungle with no roads) inch by inch.

We hope you enjoy their story and use it for inspiration to create your own adventure no matter how big or small.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

JCWages and Rally1 like this.
  2. Doc Glynn

Doc Glynn Rank I

Member #:

I'm glad he briefly mentions the British Trans-Americas Expedition that took place in 1971-72, that was headed by Major John Blashford-Snell; an expedition that traveled from Alaska to Cape Horn, including the Darien Gap in Panama and Columbia, by way of 4x4 Range Rovers. Some good reading if anyone is interested, about the folks that did it first. I can't recall which publication it is; either "Where the Trail Runs Out" or "Something Lost Behind the Ranges". Great adventure, great video.......... adventures never end, if you wish it so.

3. Jeff & Heather

Member #:

Map
  4. Graeman

Graeman Rank III

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KJ7CRJ
    Map
    That was a great video.I 'll bet sitting there and hearing it all first hand was even better, then to go and touch the actual Jeep - wow!!!!

5. JCWages

JCWages Rank II

Map
    Thank you for that!

It was great to learn more about the Jeepers as well. I always see the sign when I enter Georgetown and wonder.

6. 76_overlander

76_overlander Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Such an awesome story. I enjoyed the show :)

7. Lane Frank

Lane Frank Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Wow! To say that this adventure was epic would be a gross understatement. A tip of the hat to the participants and thanks for bringing this adventure to us.

8. ProRunner

ProRunner Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Awesome story... Absolutely amazing what people before us have endured and concurred with little to nothing compared to today's standards.

9. Keven Beattie

Keven Beattie Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Truly epic adventure, especially with ‘70s technology.

10. chris_nc

chris_nc Rank IV

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KN4RBL
    Map
    Absolutely amazing! Such an inspirational story and life lesson as well.

11. TXpedition

TXpedition Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    I grew up in Bolivia from 1972 - 1975.
    My dad was like these guys, we went down the Yungas Road once. We took a few treks into the Andes mountains to camp and fish. Good Times!

Gustavo Amaral likes this.
  12. Gustavo Amaral

Gustavo Amaral Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Bolivia is a very beautiful country! I went there on my last trip and became a fan…

13. TXpedition

TXpedition Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    I would love to go back someday. There are some places I'd like to revisit to see how they've changed.
    I went on Google Maps and saw my old house is now a "Chifa" restaurant.

Gustavo Amaral likes this.