Excursion 7.3 turbo diesel ...... Build or Sell???

• HTML tutorial

Build overland rig, or sell?

• Total voters

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

35°22'18.0"N 84°18'16.0"W
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I have been debating whether to use my excursion as an ovelanding rig, or just sell it. We already own a 2015 Rubicon that I planned on using for our overlanding rig to pull our off-road teardrop. I just keep thinking how bad-ass the excursion would be with a roof top tent and it has unimaginable space in the back. I just recently had the rocker panels line-x'ed. The major cons to it is the long wheel base and the weight. Very hard decision here. Just wanted some outside opinions, from some more experienced overlanders.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I am far from the most experienced Overlander but I'd drop my F150 in a heartbeat for a Diesel Excursion -wheelbase be darned. I think it's all about what You want to do and where you expect to take the rig.

I don't do difficult technicals and I don't climb boulders but I do take a LOT of gear/toys everywhere I go so an Excursion or 138"wb F150 does just fine by me. The Excursion can carry more than your Rubi and you can tow. I tow a camper, a trailer and a boat so I wouldn't even consider a Jeep or one of the more standard Overlanding SUV's for my DD Overland rig. The way we do things is unless I'm out hunting or overlanding by myself, we chose what we're going to do that weekend, -RV, Boating or 4 wheeling and we tow out what we need.

..but it's all about what you need not me. :0)

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Yeah, I agree. I'm not one to "abuse" my rig just to see if it can make it either. I just don't want to get to a certain part of a trail and have to turn around because I can't make it. I've read a lot of posts about custom pull out kitchens and such, and the excursion would be perfect for that. I have an F250 for towing and stuff. It seems to me like the perfect overlanding vehicle, but I just didn't know if I am missing something that maybe someone who has used an oversized vehicle might be able to point out to me. I don't want to sink a ton of money into building it just to be disappointed later on. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I think it depends on where your going to be traveling. If you plan on desert trips with more firm ground and fewer trees the excursion would be awesome, if forested mountainous areas are more your thing then it might be too long and too wide. Despite my love for the tight trails and narrow forest roads of the Pacific Northwest I would love a Sportmobile 4x4 Econoline van with a diesel. That's way outside my price range though.

Reactions: stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I own a 03 7.3 superduty crew cab shortbed and it will be with me till I'm in the ground love my truck so I vote keep it and go with a mild build. After seeing a kid at the rally wheel his SD Its definitely doable for an excursion. And for tighter stuff the wrangler can roll.
I also own a 2014 rubicon.With rack on the wrangler gravin/gobi/ blah blah you can swap a rooftop tent from one to the other.

If I had the room I'd have a 7.3 excursion in my fleet with data 60 up front

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Awesome! Love the stance, what are the specs on that bad boy?

Everytime I see an excursion, especially a 7.3 I automatically think about where I could put it. Of course I'm a 7.3 lover and think I should have like 3 trucks and just as many excursions just because

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Awesome! Love the stance, what are the specs on that bad boy?

Everytime I see an excursion, especially a 7.3 I automatically think about where I could put it. Of course I'm a 7.3 lover and think I should have like 3 trucks and just as many excursions just because
The black f250 is an 03, 7.3. Black on black, 200k miles, custom fuel setup, TS 6 position tuner, wicked wheel, stage 2 rosewood injectors, 6" pro comp lift, fab four rear bumper, 4" straight pipe, and s few other smaller mods. Thing is a beast, and the only way I would get rid of it is if they brought the 7.3 back! Then I would still wait a year to see what they ruined on it!

The excursion is almost bone stock, and still runs like it's new.
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pheenx9

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Scott
Member #

The black f250 is an 03, 7.3. Black on black, 200k miles, custom fuel setup, TS 6 position tuner, wicked wheel, stage 2 rosewood injectors, 6" pro comp lift, fab four rear bumper, 4" straight pipe, and s few other smaller mods. Thing is a beast, and the only way I would get rid of it is if they brought the 7.3 back! Then I would still wait a year to see what they ruined on it!

You're right! We do love the Excursion, but for a while it just sat in the driveway. I bet it sat for 6 months straight, that is why I was thinking about selling it. I was trying to weigh out the pros and cons of using it for an overland only vehicle. From the sound of it there are more pros than cons.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I personally really like the Excursions. I think you should keep it and build it. Seen some pretty sweet ones out there. Only weakness i see is its size may make it hard to navigate on tight trails.