Event Cancelled - Edmonton Alberta Meetup in Elk Island Park August 27-30 - 08/27/2018

• HTML tutorial

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Overlanders of Central Alberta, lets meet up in person! Summer is short and the days are getting shorter. I'm planning a simple get together at Elk Island National Park where we can meet for a few days and get to know one another. To keep thinks easy and accessible I've chosen the group camping area at Astotin Lake in Elk Island National Park. It's close to Edmonton, easy to get to for beginners and experienced overlanders alike. Less of a trip and more of a social gathering to get to know other members in the area.

Last edited:

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Sounds like an awesome time, but I'm working that week. I could pop out after work one day though.
Thanks DBLACK. I think visits from members who can't stay the night would be amazing. As long as we don't overload the space, I can't see that being a problem. I wish that I could have planned this to happen over a weekend but the weekends have all been booked up through the end of summer.

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I should have said this earlier but everybody do me a favour. If your RSVP includes more than one person, mention it in the comments with how many will be in your group. As soon as there are 10 heads confirmed, I'll reserve the space for us.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Great idea and I will try to make it. I'm wrapping up a Master's dissertation (Due August 31st) but if I get it done before I will be there.

Shaun Huth

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Huth
Member #

Won’t be able to camp but would love to come out one evening.

Idea, if you don’t get enough campers to do the whole thing, what about switching it over to a meet up BBQ dinner thingy on Sunday?Astotin has a huge day use picnic area.

It would be great to meet our local community!

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Great idea Shaun. I just checked and the site is still available. If we don't have enough or somebody books it out from under me while waiting for numbers to grow, I'll change it to a day trip on the weekend instead.

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Thanks Bushrat. Just so everybody knows we'll be paying by the day. If there are more or less each night we only pay for who stays overnight that night...as long as we stay above the minimum of 10 people.

Also, no freebies for the kids. They count as a full person...so sorry if you have a big family; I know that's not ideal.

Edm Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

edmonton
Member #

i would like to go meet some ppl, and i actually never been around there.
not sure if ill be able to go yet tho.

Bushrat

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Thanks Bushrat. Just so everybody knows we'll be paying by the day. If there are more or less each night we only pay for who stays overnight that night...as long as we stay above the minimum of 10 people.

Also, no freebies for the kids. They count as a full person...so sorry if you have a big family; I know that's not ideal.
Wondering if this event is a go?

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Hi Guys,

Looks like we don't have enough RSVPs to go through with the event as planned. I know the timing was terrible but my schedule wasn't very agreeable as the organizer; I'll plan ahead better next time. I'll be seeing if I can get a solo spot. If they aren't already all booked, my family will go out. Many of you have said you could come out for an evening. If I can get a spot for myself, we can still do that. I'll update the event after I've checked the availability and change the plans accordingly. Thanks for your patience everybody!

Reactions: Carnivore

DaveT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Well that was easy....booked up solid.

I'm going to cancel and we can try again another time. As for a day meet on the weekend I'm going to not do it on the long weekend. The park is especially busy and I take it some of us will be out of town. I'll plan another event while the summer weather is still here.

Thanks everybody. I learned a lot planning this one even if it didn't work out. We'll do better next time.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Well that was easy....booked up solid.

I'm going to cancel and we can try again another time. As for a day meet on the weekend I'm going to not do it on the long weekend. The park is especially busy and I take it some of us will be out of town. I'll plan another event while the summer weather is still here.

Thanks everybody. I learned a lot planning this one even if it didn't work out. We'll do better next time.
Thanks for putting in the effort, Dave. I look forward to the next chance we have to do this -- hopefully I can make it!