Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Just curious what oil everyone uses and why. Brand, weight, type?

I use Valvoline Conventional 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer (sometimes). It's good quality, relatively inexpensive, and I won't use a full or blend synthetic due to the amount of miles on the vehicle before I had the opportunity get it. I went to a synthetic blend on my previous vehicle and it developed leaks not long after. Not wanting to take that risk, especially on a rig that sees heavy usage with towing and off-road. If I had my rig from new or low miles, it would be running Mobile 1 or Royal Purple more than likely.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Toyota puts Toyota oil in it when it’s changed at the dealership. To keep warranties with Toyota most of the time you have to use their products. Amazing how they get you that way. I use Amsoil in our motorcycles.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
For my '95 Landcruiser that asks for 5W-30, I use Mobil 5000 or High Mileage 5W-30. It's a synthetic blend oil.
I change it every 6 months, I don't put on more than 3,000 miles in 6 months!

I used to use Pennzoil, but the engine had a funny (but characteristic) "clatter" at first start-up every time.
With the Mobil, I don't get that unless it sits more than a week without starting it, and even then it's much less pronounced.
It's about 1/2 quart low when I go to change it, but it does have one small (annoying) leak that I haven't fixed yet.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
For my '95 Landcruiser that asks for 5W-30, I use Mobil 5000 or High Mileage 5W-30. It's a synthetic blend oil.
I change it every 6 months, I don't put on more than 3,000 miles in 6 months!

I used to use Pennzoil, but the engine had a funny (but characteristic) "clatter" at first start-up every time.
With the Mobil, I don't get that unless it sits more than a week without starting it, and even then it's much less pronounced.
It's about 1/2 quart low when I go to change it, but it does have one small (annoying) leak that I haven't fixed yet.
Thinking about going with Mobil 1 High Mile for the next go round since I keep having lifter noise. I have heard that the high mile syn oils should be ok to switch to and should help with the noise.