Emergency Rescue Balloon

• HTML tutorial

AlysonH

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

That does look very cool. Have you tried contacting the person who started the kickstarter? Often they will continue working on their product with private funding and because they have a patent I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in the works.

Reactions: Toyotadirtdevil

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Looking at their Facebook page it looks like they are working on a redesign and a patent. This would be something nice to have as a just in case. I typically carry a flare gun but I like that this lasts significantly longer and improves my chance of being found.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Looking at their Facebook page it looks like they are working on a redesign and a patent. This would be something nice to have as a just in case. I typically carry a flare gun but I like that this lasts significantly longer and improves my chance of being found.
Less risk of starting a forest fire too... :)

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I like it but would still carry my inReach Explorer.
Agreed! I think this is a great backup, and less reliant on high-end tech. Would also be great for pinpointing your location once a SAR team is in the area. GPS is great, but a visual aid like this could be the difference between life and death in dense forests, rugged terrain, or at night.

Eric Christensen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I would think the main issue would be the wind pushing it around. If you're in a forest, it might be next to impossible to get it in the air and if you find a clearing, it could push it into a tree and get stuck. I would think it'd be great for an area without wind but I could see how it might not take off (no puns intended). I'm sure there's reasons it wasn't successful on kickstarter.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I love a low-tech analog solution in a digital age. No batteries to go flat, no signals to be blocked by foliage or deep canyons - I like it! I love that they included a strobe light too, but even without it the bright orange will certainly be easy to spot by SAR.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Hand-to-God, I had this idea years ago. Almost exactly, in fact. It didn't get past me discussing with friends over beers, of course, which is the way of all of my "inventions" (most of which are far more absurd).

Super cool to see!