Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Hey folks! I've had my badge on the back of my 4Runner for about 3 years now and the mag sulfate has totally torn it up. Instead of purchasing a new emblem, I attempted a science experiment which is basically the "magically make a penny shiny" experiment. IT WORKED!

Get a small bowl or cup that will fit your badge inside, add white vinegar and salt- let it sit and voila! Good as new.

BEFORE:
49298183318_18aeb619b3_k.jpg

AFTER:

49298183618_6d0f65eef4_k.jpg

After it sat in the solution for about 1 hour, I took it out and wiped it off with a paper towel. Pretty neat!

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

The "before" picture doesn't show up :-( I am curious how the transformation was.

I put a couple of coats of clear on mine before installing and it survived a salty winter without any marks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well, inquisitive minds want to know what this witches brew is that made your emblem almost new again.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Cool, worked good.
Salt and vinegar is used a lot in the restoration of coins. It can also work on other metal things to remove oxidation/corrosion. It is amazing what simple household supplies can do. Simple things you have on you shelf or under the sink have way more uses than you think.

Reactions: mrseth