Electrical Tools - which ones do you carry and why?

• HTML tutorial

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
An electrical tool kit is a must and without electricity we are not going anywhere, please use this thread to share your knowledge on the must have items for your tool kit.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
A multimeter would need to top the list.
Some cables with alligator clips on each end are useful as you can bypass relays and switches.
OBD2 scanner (does that count as electric?).

I also carry a crimper and lugs that suit "my vehicle", spare fuses and cable.
For one of my older vehicles, I also carry an ECU simply because it's small, and I have one.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I carry a multimeter, fuses, some jumpers , electrical tape ,extra wires , connectors , terminals and a crimper. I also carry a code reader.
Pretty much what I carry. I also have some compact strippers, Relays, butt connectors, and zip ties. Anybody have any recommendations for a compact multimeter? I don't want to have to keep moving my kobalt meter, and would like to keep one in the tool roll.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Pretty much what I carry. I also have some compact strippers, Relays, butt connectors, and zip ties. Anybody have any recommendations for a compact multimeter? I don't want to have to keep moving my kobalt meter, and would like to keep one in the tool roll.
Harbor Freight

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I just added this one to my kit a few weeks ago. I like that it has an amp meter as well so I can see more with the solar setup (panel current, current making it to mppt, etc.)

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have terminal connectors, mc4 and anderson connectors (for solar), butt connectors, strippers, crimpers, shrink tubing, electrical tape, fuses, and multimeter.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Test light (not led) and a $19 craftsman multimeter will get you pretty far on just about any rig. I also carry a Power Probe on more remote outings.

Reactions: genocache

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Multimeter and for the quick check a test lamp, OBD reader, jumper box, jumper cables - I think that's all I have on board in terms of electrical tools.

In addition, fuses - a tip: please check exactly which fuses you need for your rig and take them with you - spare bulbs, vehicle-specific relays and always one or two standard relays and a universal on / off switch, various cables, crimp connectors, soldering connectors, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape (so you can improvise quite a bit).

On long trips I also have some of the most important sensors with me (crankshaft sensor, mass air flow sensor, camshaft sensor, alternator regulator and these things).

What is of course also essential is to have documentation of the vehicle, i.e. where is which fuse and which relay and ideally a complete circuit diagram (here it depends of course on what skills you have yourself, but a circuit diagram can also be useful in a garage if the mechanic does not know the brand/ type of rig).

Reactions: Bad Sport

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I just added this one to my kit a few weeks ago. I like that it has an amp meter as well so I can see more with the solar setup (panel current, current making it to mppt, etc.)

Hi Beau, Thanks for the post regarding the meter, ilike that its got many uses, how easy is it to use? For the solar panel do you just run it over the cable from the solar panela and you can get the Amp /voltage/wattage readings through the cable? sorry if this is an obviously question.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

Hi Beau, Thanks for the post regarding the meter, ilike that its got many uses, how easy is it to use? For the solar panel do you just run it over the cable from the solar panela and you can get the Amp /voltage/wattage readings through the cable? sorry if this is an obviously question.
The only thing different from a standard multimeter is the amp meter. To get the current rating you just put the positive wire through the clamps and it will show current. For everything else it still has the probes, and a great feature is there is a probe holder in one of the clamps and a readout on the front and bottom of the device to make it easier to get readings.

Reactions: Amanda C

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
The only thing different from a standard multimeter is the amp meter. To get the current rating you just put the positive wire through the clamps and it will show current. For everything else it still has the probes, and a great feature is there is a probe holder in one of the clamps and a readout on the front and bottom of the device to make it easier to get readings.
No amp measurement?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
No amp measurement?
Amp/current is measured putting the positive wire in between the clamps.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I carry pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned, plus a soldering iron. The small irons will run off any cheap 100w inverter. I had one that plugged directly into a 12v port before I had a vehicle with a factory inverter. I've used it to booger weld a plastic gas cap back together, burn screw holes through a piece of ratchet strap to repair a rooftop tent, and soldered in the snow to fix some LED lights.

1662307379749.png

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Knowledge is a tool.. so being an electrician I would recommend some basic knowledge in electrical.. the diff between AC and DC how and why fuses work how to calculate your needs how heat effects wire.. etc.. you tube is a great resource. Just my two cents. Could save you from a fire knowing some basics..

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I carry pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned, plus a soldering iron. The small irons will run off any cheap 100w inverter. I had one that plugged directly into a 12v port before I had a vehicle with a factory inverter. I've used it to booger weld a plastic gas cap back together, burn screw holes through a piece of ratchet strap to repair a rooftop tent, and soldered in the snow to fix some LED lights.

View attachment 239754
Good idea. I have a butane soldering iron but never brought it along. Perhaps I will now