Eating utensils traditional or new age?

• HTML tutorial

NVBEAR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Carson City , Nevada 89701
Member #

Hi guys I'm putting together a video review of different eating utensils I have used or found to be quality. My question to you is to you take traditional metal utensils or the new age plastic or 1 time use utensils [emoji486] on your voyages? Input will be taken into consideration. I will be reviewing products over the next month if anyone has suggestions of products they would like to see tested. I'm open to new innovative products from vendors for honest unbiased reviews.[emoji869][emoji486][emoji106][emoji513][emoji496][emoji500][emoji514]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Primarily disposable

Right now, 6x each of disposable in my cooking box and one metal knife for penut butter.

Pros- cheap, light, compact

Cons- low melting point, brittle

They are really easy to clean so disposable is kinda optional.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Depends on the trip. Cold temps where washing dishes is difficult? probably plastic utensils. Grab and go / quick stops kind of trip? plastic utensils. Warm weather / time to stay in one place? normal dishes.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I always have disposable stuff in my camping gear, but aside from paper towels (which I burn), I try not to use anything disposable. I have enameled metal plates, stainless pint glasses and reusable plastic cutlery. I don't know the brands for any of them, but none of it is high tech.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a spray bottle of water can make dish washing very easy- no need for lots of water or a dish sink or anything, just spray, wash, spray again to rinse, and dry. Works for most things...

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Using all metal utensils from my bachelor days, got some cheap enamel metal plates/bowls/cups for truck camping. Trying to stick with the tread lightly principles and minimize the amount of garbage generated from my trips.

Pro's - cheap, reusable, minimal risk of breakage

Con's - requires washing, heat transfers quickly through the metal, cools food/drinks quickly, hot to hold.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

I use this new age plastic MSR Folding spork that fits nicely in the little "spoon holder" on my jet boil and is long enough to get down in it...
And then I also have this Ozark Trail "Hobo Tool" which is metal with a spoon, fork, knife, can opener, etc etc

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Hobo-Tool/19718066

Both are really excellent, especially for the price and size (I don't think you can find better to be honest). My only complaint on the hobo tool is it can be kinda wonky if you have one utensil out (spoon or fork) to use and are keeping the set "connected". Other than that, it's excellent, especially when you separate it and have a "knife/fork" combo like at a restaurant.

Last edited:
Reactions: iowa1987

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I'm looking for a decent set of reusable utensils. I've been rebuilding up my camping gear the last few years.
I just got a nice GCI cookware set that I used on my last outing. It was awesome.
Now if I can just find some good utensils for my camp kitchen set up, I'm golden.
I like the idea of the bamboo utensils.

I didn't pay this much for the set, but this is what I have:
https://www.rei.com/product/830829/gsi-outdoors-bugaboo-base-camper-cookset-large

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I'm looking for a decent set of reusable utensils. I've been rebuilding up my camping gear the last few years.
I just got a nice GCI cookware set that I used on my last outing. It was awesome.
Now if I can just find some good utensils for my camp kitchen set up, I'm golden.
I like the idea of the bamboo utensils.

I didn't pay this much for the set, but this is what I have:
https://www.rei.com/product/830829/gsi-outdoors-bugaboo-base-camper-cookset-large
We have a large square bottom spoon made out of bamboo we use it with our Dutch oven it's fantastic.

Reactions: TXpedition

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I use a gsi camp kitchen set. The utensils are plastic reusable. They are great but my only complaint is that they look a lot like disposable silverware so you need to make sure no one throws them out. I'm very happy with all of the gsi camp items I own.. Including the camp cooking set and the utensils.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We keep our kitchen stuff in a small Tupperware container. We have two sets of stainless silverware from old sets in the kitchen for when we have time or facilities to wash dishes. And we have an assortment of Wendy's restaurant plastic stuff for when we just want disposable. Same with plates/bowls. Old kitchen stuff and a few disposable.

Reactions: TXpedition

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

We've been using the Front Runner cutlery set for a couple of years now. Decent enough set with cooking utensils and stuff to eat with (including steak knives). Comes in a roll-up folding bag which you can hang up when in camp too. Works well and since everything has a place you know if it's missing.
http://www.maverick4x4.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1218

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Plastic/nylon reusable eating utensils.

Silicon cooking utensils. Cheap-ish knives with covers/sheaths.

Mostly plastic dinnerware. Switching to collapsible silicon bowls.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Because I try and love the environment the best I can, I never use disposable unless they are compostable. So, we use "Snow Peaks" Titanium Sporks. They are solid and we love em!

Reactions: Tim

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I mostly use plastic, disposable cutlery camping. I have been considering moving to something else but haven't decided what would work best for us yet.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Titanium sporks (REI and Brunton) and my Benchmade knife.

The Brunton My-Ti spork is pretty cool. It has a clasp end that serves as a bottle opener that everyone seems to love. Is has a couple holes in the handle (gotta save that .01 oz. of titanium) and they get clogged. Mainly with my oatmeal breakfast in a Dixie cup. Not a big deal, just a little more cleanup time. I don't think is version is sold anymore.

Plates are usually the heavy paper Chinet ones. It only takes one thin paper plate to fold over, dropping your dinner on the ground, to learn that lesson. I've considered switching to the enameled steel plates, but the heat transfer to my lap is what has been keeping me from making the jump. But now that I have the skottle, my table surface is free of the big grill, so I may start eating dinner in a more civilized manner. At the table not on my lap! That will also help when cutting into a steak.