Eating utensils traditional or new age?

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

Spork, that's it. Unless I plan on having something that requires a knife, then I bring that too. I try to cook all my meals like I would backpacking, so whenever I go car camping somewhere I make the same style meals. 99% of the time a spork does the job. I use a Sea to Summit Alpha.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

We have a plastic set, I believe MSR. I melted 1 fork cooking eggs.....

I'm looking at the snowpeak stuff for our future plates and utensils. I prefer metal usually for it's strength and find it easier to clean.

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

I use Snow Peak utensils, I have a full set of full size sporks and I have a set of carry on chopsticks and a short spork that fit together in the chopsticks holder.IMG_1639.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1642.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: sleak

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

If it's just the family and I we use the Lexan reusable utensils but in larger groups it's out of our control. We try to generate as little trash as possible. Not just because of the ecological impacts but often have to haul out our trash.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I've not tried sporks before although have carved a fair number of wooden spoons whilst teaching on self sufficiency courses. Today I received with my latest Land Rover magazine (don't forget- it doesn't matter what you drive) a free Spork. This one even has a serrated knife edge down one side of the fork. I might give it a try on my next trip away. Picture of my first spork below

20170610_141052.jpg

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Personally I try to avoid generating trash in the backcountry because it just means more to haul out, so I don't bring disposable utensils or plates. Utensils are particularly easy to clean with very little water, so I don't see any benefit to disposables.

I had a nice set of reusable plastic utensils similar to the GSI sets but friends kept thinking that they were disposable and throwing them out. Weight is not a factor since I'm not taking them backpacking, so I'm going to replace the plastic utensils with some cheap metal ones from Goodwill or IKEA. My only criteria is that they are solid and don't bend.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

At one time we were 100% disposable but that didn't last too long. We've gone through just about every option for reusable, from plastic to straight out of the kitchen drawer. Now days since we have amassed such a variety of camping gear for different camping styles, it really can change from trip to trip. For our upcoming trip to CO I'm bringing two 3 piece stainless steel sets, similar to the old army mess kit versions, but a little slimmer. It's just my wife and I so we won't be supplying gear for others on this trip.

I'll probably bring along my favorite spoon too, which is a long handled titanium spoon from toaks. I love it for hot stuff because it cools off faster, and doesnt burn my bottom lip. :D

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We've been using the Front Runner cutlery set for a couple of years now. Decent enough set with cooking utensils and stuff to eat with (including steak knives). Comes in a roll-up folding bag which you can hang up when in camp too. Works well and since everything has a place you know if it's missing.
http://www.maverick4x4.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1218

I have this kit too. we've just spent a week away using if. Generally it's an excellent kit but I do have a few comments. I'd prefer a middle sized knife to prep food somewhere between the large knife and small knife in the kit. Additionally I'd like to have a woden spoon or spatula too. These are items I will add separately.

Reactions: Tim

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I've not tried sporks before although have carved a fair number of wooden spoons whilst teaching on self sufficiency courses. Today I received with my latest Land Rover magazine (don't forget- it doesn't matter what you drive) a free Spork. This one even has a serrated knife edge down one side of the fork. I might give it a try on my next trip away. Picture of my first spork below

View attachment 25946
As a follow up to the attached post, I can announce that the spork has sadly passed away to the plastic cutlery graveyard. it wasn't man enough for the job expected of it. I need to find something more substantial

Last edited:

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Titanium long handle spork + chopsticks + black walnut & bamboo everything else… *powerfist*

Sidenote: I have a $#itload of enamelware and hardly ever use it for exactly the reasons stated above.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've used a ton of different things over the years for travel, camping, backyard cookouts at friends, impromptu picnics, etc and the best, easiest to keep together and keep clean, most durable, green, solution I've found yet is the Zelco Mangia 3pc set.

Stainless steel, the spoon and fork handles nestle into the knife handle, and all three working ends can then be capped by a snap-closed plastic top. Easy to keep a set in your daybag, glovebox, briefcase, whatever. The Amish used to always carry a spoon with them when going to neighbor's homes for big feeds, and I look at this set like that. I always have one fairly near.

I used to buy them three-four at a time and give them to fellow travelers, though I'm not sure the Zelco Mangia set is being made anymore. The last couple sets I bought had a less-durable plastic top, some of which eventually split or cracked at the snap tabs.

If anyone sees them for sale anywhere, let me know. ( NOTE:There is one place online, but they only take cards, not paypal, and it's an obscure site I've never heard of. My experience with some sites when they have otherwise unavailable items is that you can provide your card info and check out, then find out weeks later they don't have the item or they never send it, you have to fight to get your pesos back, AND they have your card info. With Paypal you might end up out some dollars, but they don't have all your info.)

I'll get more and your set will be on me.

zelcomangia-utensilsset-01.jpg zelcomangia-utensilsset-02.jpg

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Enameled metal kitchen ware has to be the worst idea ever, food goes cold fast. If hot you can't hold it or drink from it. I use wooden plates and bowls like these https://www.islandwoods.com/. Reusable and doesn't conduct heat or cold like metal. SnowPeak sporks, belt knife, wooden spoons and you're good to go.
You know, you're absolutely right, and I can't believe I never really thought about it before. Now I'm remembering all the times I had to carefully balance a hot plate on my lap without burning my hands, or use a glove to hold my enamel coffee cup. For some reason, it never occurred to me to just get a different type of plateware!

Reactions: buckwilk

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

I use one of those small sporks that comes attached to a carabiner from REI, a wooden spoon, a wooden spatula, an 8" chef's knife, and a boning knife.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I hit up a thrift store and picked up a bunch of random cutlery. Drilled some small holes in the handles to keep sets together with a ring. No drama if one gets lost and you can get a handful for the same price as a single set at a camping store. I try to stay away from disposable stuff. Tends to break and just ends up in the garbage at some point.