Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Nothing disposable....
Need to use as little "single use" materials as possible - especially plastic.

Teaching my children, and trying to influence my friends, not to use "single use / throw-away" materials, if at all possible.
It's not environmentally friendly at all...

Even in winter on campsite, you can generate hot water and wash-up properly.
Just takes a little effort and self discipline.

I use plastic plates, bowls and mugs.
Light, easy to clean, don't break - simple.

16_810440486.jpg

Use "old fashioned" knife-fork-spoon clipped together set for cutlery.
They are cheap, but reliable, and don't melt, snap or fail like some "single use" cutlery.
They also keep together, so that you don't loose any parts (you notice when something is missing)

159173_5032307673569301331578.jpg

Washing up on campsite just takes self discipline.
Hot water can quickly be generated, so we shouldn't use that excuse...

714JHyDjpWL._SX522_.jpg

I have a small "washing up" kit bag (toilet bag size).
Contents:
Washing Up liquid bottle.
Cif / Jif cleaning liquid bottle.
Foam + scrubber hand sponge cleaner
Washing-Up hand scrubbing brush
Microfibre wipe cloth
2 Cloth Drying Towels (to use alternatively, as one dries...)
Side Pocket:
Few Paper Towels (inside zip-sealed bag)
Zip bag full of zip-bags - always useful

silver-plastic-rectangular-38cm-multi-purpose-kitchen-washing-up-bowl-w-handles_4543724.jpg

We commonly take a square plastic washing-up bowl, that fits neatly into the equipment boxes.
This can be used for many other tasks, other than washing-up (transporting material, washing clothes, capture dripping fluids, bailing water, etc.)

I hope this post was helpful :)

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I stick with my Snow Peak titanium spork for pretty much everything. I will say that the lexan stuff works great, but does have a limited life. This is especially true when sterilizing it in boiling water daily as it weakens the material. I always find myself coming back to my titanium utensils and cookware for the durability and lifetime usage.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Ejbltlr

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ejbltlr

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

I have one of these, very good product. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I will be adding 2 items. firstly I'll add a wooden spoon and secondly a medium sized prep knife as the one in the kit is a little small for my liking.
The pic attached looks as though it has at least 2 knives? One looks as if it's a bread knife of sorts. Other looks to be more of a chef knife. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

The pic attached looks as though it has at least 2 knives? One looks as if it's a bread knife of sorts. Other looks to be more of a chef knife. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Hey there, as you can see I have added another photo. Hopefully it will show all the items a little clearer.

camp-kitchen-utensil-set-front-runner-KITC041-1.jpg

Here is a list of the items within:

(Top row left to right)

4 x steak forks
4 x tea spoons
4 x desert spoons
1 x Bottle opener / corkscrew

(Bottom Row left to right)

4 x serrated knives
1 x carving knife
1 x chopping board
1 x BBQ /Campfire fork
1 x spatula
1 x serving spoon
1 x bread knife
1 x paring knife

1x Storage bag

Plus it rolls up to look like this.

KITC041.jpg

I hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I stick with titanium, but what I carry depends on what I'm doing. I carry the Snow Peak short spork and chopstick set everywhere I go. For moto travel I have one of the two-ended sporks, as well as a long MRE-sized spoon. For car camping, I use a 3-piece set, with Army mess kit cutlery as backup. Titanium bowls and plates.

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

The only metal utensil I bring is a bottle opener. Technically, its an eating utensil since there is a pork chop in every bottle.
51SO9OYuRuL._SY355_.jpg

Other than that, its all disposable utensils.

Reactions: The other Sean

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

Get a few flatware of each from the Goodwill or dollar store. Easy to clean up and IF someone throws them out...no big deal!

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Hi guys I'm putting together a video review of different eating utensils I have used or found to be quality. My question to you is to you take traditional metal utensils or the new age plastic or 1 time use utensils [emoji486] on your voyages? Input will be taken into consideration. I will be reviewing products over the next month if anyone has suggestions of products they would like to see tested. I'm open to new innovative products from vendors for honest unbiased reviews.[emoji869][emoji486][emoji106][emoji513][emoji496][emoji500][emoji514]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Depending on the mode of travel over the years I've used it all. For the last several years the go-to has been the Spork, and I have to admit I haven't really thought about it at all until your post - so thanks for that. I'm thinking I'll add a few things as I finish the build on my cargo storage/kitchen slide - in particular, I'm thinking to add chopsticks - just seems like I could do pretty well with them - of course, if soup is on the menu I've854547.jpg extra surface_zpsfdhki1kv.jpg got my spork.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I use either Lexan utensils I got at REI probably 30 years ago for normal eating and a pair of Toaks long handled titanium utensils - the spoon and the spork. Those are, mostly, for my Mountain House items so you can get into the bag without food all over your knuckles. This is when I'm in the LX. In the van, as it has a fridge, I just use disposable everything - utensils, plates, cups, etc. Sorry Earth but it is what it is.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Hey there, as you can see I have added another photo. Hopefully it will show all the items a little clearer.

I hope this helps
My Step Daughter gave this to me for Xmas. I really like it.
Some of the utensils could be a little sturdier, but for the most part, it is great.
I added some wooden spoons and rubber spatula's since my cookware has nonstick coating.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

My Step Daughter gave this to me for Xmas. I really like it.
Some of the utensils could be a little sturdier, but for the most part, it is great.
I added some wooden spoons and rubber spatula's since my cookware has nonstick coating.
I did the same by adding a wooden spoon and spatula too. I just need to figure out a method of hanging them whilst cooking.