Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Davis Offroad.
9011 Jefferson Davis Highway
Richmond, Virginia 23237
Cool beans.
Got any more info on this trail? That looks like a good place to check out some time.

What we're talking about right now is getting to the flea market early and then heading to a local Beer and BBQ joint around 3 or so to hang out. I've still got some details to find out, but the BROG guys have a farm that they let people use for camping. I'm not 100% sure if I'll camp, but if anyone wants to, let me know and I'll check about space and get you contact info.

Also, the Peaks of Otter campground isn't far from Bedford either.
The link will give you all the info. There are camping areas up there too.

The trail is for both vehicles, motorcycles and 4-wheelers. Everybody gets along pretty good for passing and so on (two way trail). I will say this, if it has been dry out for a few days to weeks.. she can be dusty as all get out.

As for the bikes and side x sides... It is one of the few places they can legally play in the National forest.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

Reactions: Rubicoma and TerryD

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Thanks! I'd be in the Xterra. Cabin air filters are awesome things!
Haha, I bet. I still have mud spots on my B-pillars from running Bald/Big Levels last year.

Side bar: Playing around with the Motion X gps app. This is what I captured. I didn’t save it correctly, but this is what I ran on the trail.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Cool! About how long is the trail in terms of time for a solo rig or small group of 2-3 trucks? I had wanted to get another run of Flag Pole in this fall, but a big outage at work ate up October and going into the holidays, I'm just not going to have the time. Plus, I'm now waiting on my sliders!

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Cool! About how long is the trail in terms of time for a solo rig or small group of 2-3 trucks? I had wanted to get another run of Flag Pole in this fall, but a big outage at work ate up October and going into the holidays, I'm just not going to have the time. Plus, I'm now waiting on my sliders!
According to Magellan’s trail head app. 8.3 miles long. It all depends on how much traffic there is and how fast or slow you want to run it.

Was playing with that app also. It tracked me, but did not save it to get credit for the trail. That sucks. Haha

Fun to play around with.

http://www.trxtrailhead.com/@38.914458,-78.490818,10

And for those who don’t have it. Good info too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547

I have the MVUM’s on the phone. I then cross reference them to google maps to see exactly where they are for a run.

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

@TerryD

Just realized I never really answered your question.. at the most, 2 hours. I did stop twice to use a tree and to take a few pix. I ran in 4-high to exercise the jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
@TerryD

Just realized I never really answered your question.. at the most, 2 hours. I did stop twice to use a tree and to take a few pix. I ran in 4-high to exercise the jeep.
Thanks man. I really don't go that far North very often but I might try to check that out next summer. Probably done with Overland trips for the winter, focusing on saving money for the last lift parts and tires in the spring.

Reactions: Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Thanks man. I really don't go that far North very often but I might try to check that out next summer. Probably done with Overland trips for the winter, focusing on saving money for the last lift parts and tires in the spring.
No problem.. I had thought about Flag Pole that day but had Peters Mill in mind. That said, Sometime next year over a long weekend. I want to get back out there run some new places and camp (either vehicle or tent). I'd say a week long kinda thing but we all know how life can get in the way.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
No problem.. I had thought about Flag Pole that day but had Peters Mill in mind. That said, Sometime next year over a long weekend. I want to get back out there run some new places and camp (either vehicle or tent). I'd say a week long kinda thing but we all know how life can get in the way.
The wife and I have been talking about a couple-day long trip over near Asheville/Cherokee NC then heading to Gatlinburg from there in June. Not 100% sure what we'll be getting into but that's kinda the point isn't it?

I also want to do a weekend trip to Flag Pole/Reddish Knobs and possibly Big Levels. And I've been talking to a buddy locally about a Uwharrie trip as well once he gets his 4Runner back going.

Reactions: Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

The wife and I have been talking about a couple-day long trip over near Asheville/Cherokee NC then heading to Gatlinburg from there in June. Not 100% sure what we'll be getting into but that's kinda the point isn't it?

I also want to do a weekend trip to Flag Pole/Reddish Knobs and possibly Big Levels. And I've been talking to a buddy locally about a Uwharrie trip as well once he gets his 4Runner back going.
Cool. Post them up if ya want a tag along. Ha ha

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

@Hafaday When are you leaving Richmond? And anyone else from the area.
How goes it Jim? Not sure yet. I’ll figure it out as it gets closer. Its about a 2 and half hours for me give or take. I figure 08 at the earliest and 09 at the latest.

We can hook up, car pool or what ever if ya want.

I have a fire in the pit going in the back yard.. just heard a hoot owl. Pretty cool for around here.

Rubicoma

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Chesterfield, VA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4GIV
How goes it Jim? Not sure yet. I’ll figure it out as it gets closer. Its about a 2 and half hours for me give or take. I figure 08 at the earliest and 09 at the latest.

We can hook up, car pool or what ever if ya want.

I have a fire in the pit going in the back yard.. just heard a hoot owl. Pretty cool for around here.
I think we are near each other. We can hook up and drive out there. My fire is inside tonight.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Is any one still up for the Flea Market tomorrow? if so, what times are people showing up so I can plan accordingly?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We're swinging through Roanoke for some oven shopping inn the morning so I'm not 100% what time I'll get there. I'm going to be monitoring the WA1ZMS repeater on the way in and probably FRS 4 and 146.460 at the flea market.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

We're swinging through Roanoke for some oven shopping inn the morning so I'm not 100% what time I'll get there. I'm going to be monitoring the WA1ZMS repeater on the way in and probably FRS 4 and 146.460 at the flea market.
What's freq for the WA1ZMS repeater? What about CB?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app