Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I want to get input from everyone on this question.

We've had more misses on this meetup than successes so far. I know it's still new and there have only been a few. I want to know from all of you. Is it that Thursdays are just not easy to get out for? Is it that it's still new and folks are a little wary of going? Is it that a monthly meetup is just not wanted right now? Be honest. I want to know where people are at so we can make this a successful and worthwhile meetup.

Thanks
Hi Chris,

Thursday is usually ok for me, but I had a family emergency I had to deal with and couldn't head out to Natick. If other folks want a different day or location, I'm happy to look into other options and discuss. Thanks for trying to make this really worthwhile, I know it's tough. Thanks!

-David

Reactions: CapeXterra and TGF

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Good questions. I suspect it's a bit different for everyone. For me, the issues are: (1) on Thursdays I am more likely to want to get things prepped for my weekend overlanding, (2) I am not super excited to drive to Natick - it's far, lots of traffic, etc. (but no matter where you pick, this will be an issue for someone). I would like to get together and meet folks in person. I am not wary of this having had some really great experiences with "cars & coffee" type meet-ups in the past and seeing the great attitude of folks here. FWIW, I really liked the idea of meeting up in the state forest - it just seems more appropriate than Natick for the subject matter.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Good questions. I suspect it's a bit different for everyone. For me, the issues are: (1) on Thursdays I am more likely to want to get things prepped for my weekend overlanding, (2) I am not super excited to drive to Natick - it's far, lots of traffic, etc. (but no matter where you pick, this will be an issue for someone). I would like to get together and meet folks in person. I am not wary of this having had some really great experiences with "cars & coffee" type meet-ups in the past and seeing the great attitude of folks here. FWIW, I really liked the idea of meeting up in the state forest - it just seems more appropriate than Natick for the subject matter.
At the risk of hijacking my own questions, I'd like to run down this rabbit hole. Cause good discussion is important. So expand on your thoughts of meeting in the state forest. Would this still be a weekday evening? Or would this be a weekend? My concerns with weekends is that most people don't end up going. They are either on a trip, working on the house, spending time with family, etc... you get the point. Now, That doesn't mean we can't try a weekend. Just throwing that out there. Maybe a name change will help. haha. Rigs and Drinks? idk, lol.

Anywho, keep the feedback coming.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

At the risk of hijacking my own questions, I'd like to run down this rabbit hole. Cause good discussion is important. So expand on your thoughts of meeting in the state forest. Would this still be a weekday evening? Or would this be a weekend? My concerns with weekends is that most people don't end up going. They are either on a trip, working on the house, spending time with family, etc... you get the point. Now, That doesn't mean we can't try a weekend. Just throwing that out there. Maybe a name change will help. haha. Rigs and Drinks? idk, lol.

Anywho, keep the feedback coming.
Drinks? Sign me up. I'm up for a cold one. Smash burger don't served beer or I would just end up at the bar.

I don't have any issue about Thursday meeting, although traffic is sucks everywhere, not just Rt 9 Natick. I would just keep this meeting running. If people don't show up, it's fine. I think it's all about communication in advance. If the final count is very low, maybe just post an update to postpone. I would expect monthly meeting flow should be up & down. To get more attendance, maybe try to organize a weekend trip. Your idea of VT trip is a good start. Another idea maybe organized a caravan to Overland East.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Drinks? Sign me up. I'm up for a cold one. Smash burger don't served beer or I would just end up at the bar.

I don't have any issue about Thursday meeting, although traffic is sucks everywhere, not just Rt 9 Natick. I would just keep this meeting running. If people don't show up, it's fine. I think it's all about communication in advance. If the final count is very low, maybe just post an update to postpone. I would expect monthly meeting flow should be up & down. To get more attendance, maybe try to organize a weekend trip. Your idea of VT trip is a good start. Another idea maybe organized a caravan to Overland East.
Thanks for the input. I think that a location change might help. So far, the folks who have been making it are driving pretty far. Maybe we move it a little closer to them or finding a spot that has more than just burgers. I'll be back up in Mass in July so I should be able to scope out some locations.

As for a weekend trip. YES! I've been trying to think of some good spots to go to. I think something sooner rather than later is ideal. Maybe do Something in VT or NH and incorporate others from the region.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Thinking a little more on what you said, @MolangiNaeda and maybe we keep this meetup unchanged for the next couple months until after I am back in the area and can get a feel for it in person.
I think this is a great idea. Honestly, it's really hard for me to figure out a good venue because I have such little experience with restaurants and/or other places to gather in MA. Having more recently moved back here after many years away, it's tough for me to know what works and what does not. Plus, I don't typically go to restaurants, have never been to a bar or drank before, so I am probably no fun to plan the drinking gatherings. HAHA! :-)

The one thing I planned for my old rover club out west was a half day of shooting targets and clay pigeons, it was lots of fun! I wonder if some folks would ever be into that? I'm definitely better at the outside stuff, rather than sitting inside or outside of a restaurant, but am willing to expand my horizons. For a long time I have lived pretty separate from the world. :-)

Regards, David

Reactions: CapeXterra

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

There are a lot of really nice outdoor areas where we could meet. Especially in nice weather, gathering at a state forest or something along those lines and having a picnic or cookout just seems more overlanding-ish than going to a restaurant.

See, for example: http://harvardparkandrec.org/Page.asp?n=106046&org=HARVARDPARKANDREC.ORG, which is just inside the 495 belt. There is a parking area that overlooks a pond. There are tons of places like this in MA. Happy to help guiding on this if you'd like.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

The one thing I planned for my old rover club out west was a half day of shooting targets and clay pigeons, it was lots of fun! I wonder if some folks would ever be into that? I'm definitely better at the outside stuff, rather than sitting inside or outside of a restaurant, but am willing to expand my horizons. For a long time I have lived pretty separate from the world. :-)
Delaney, mentioned above, is actually paid for by hunting licenses and we've been taking our dogs there for field work classes (basically duck retrieval post-shooting of said duck). I am not a hunter myself, but there is plenty of stuff like this around. BTW, one of my dogs' name is Finley. :)

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Delaney, mentioned above, is actually paid for by hunting licenses and we've been taking our dogs there for field work classes (basically duck retrieval post-shooting of said duck). I am not a hunter myself, but there is plenty of stuff like this around. BTW, one of my dogs' name is Finley. :)
That's awesome!!! One of my dogs is also named Finlay - that's where my name came from! :-D My other dog is Fern.

How's the rover? I have to say, the post 2010 rovers are so much more reliable, but I love that older style!!!

CapeXterra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Scituate, Massachusetts
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Reimels
Member #

This is all great stuff and valid points. Natick is 45-1hr away from me but it's fine made one meet so it's not bad. I'm up for the state forest idea provided I'm free. As for Finlayforprez comment about shooting I'm all for that as I shoot myself 45 mins from my house. Beer, food, shooting, and just outdoor parking park is fine with me. I myself am trying to figure out Overland Expo East. I want to go just not sure the X is ready, but should be by then. The Thursday nights are fine on my end as I will keep going to Natick if there there. Once Cub Scouts finishes in June I'll be a lot more available for meets. Heading to OBX tonight in the wife's Highlander with the kids for the week so should be fun. Please keep trying for the meet ups. It's still to new Chris to bail out now. Sorry this jumps around train of thought wanders a bit while preparing for a long road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This is all great stuff and valid points. Natick is 45-1hr away from me but it's fine made one meet so it's not bad. I'm up for the state forest idea provided I'm free. As for Finlayforprez comment about shooting I'm all for that as I shoot myself 45 mins from my house. Beer, food, shooting, and just outdoor parking park is fine with me. I myself am trying to figure out Overland Expo East. I want to go just not sure the X is ready, but should be by then. The Thursday nights are fine on my end as I will keep going to Natick if there there. Once Cub Scouts finishes in June I'll be a lot more available for meets. Heading to OBX tonight in the wife's Highlander with the kids for the week so should be fun. Please keep trying for the meet ups. It's still to new Chris to bail out now. Sorry this jumps around train of thought wanders a bit while preparing for a long road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
There was never a moment I thought about bailing. So don't worry about that. Just trying to make adjustments on the fly. I think we will leave it how it is for a couple more meets and see what happens. I will take another temp reading at the point and make some adjustments if needed.

CapeXterra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Scituate, Massachusetts
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Reimels
Member #

There was never a moment I thought about bailing. So don't worry about that. Just trying to make adjustments on the fly. I think we will leave it how it is for a couple more meets and see what happens. I will take another temp reading at the point and make some adjustments if needed.
Sounds good to me. Definitely think we could get a group for the Expo in September for sure.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

That's awesome!!! One of my dogs is also named Finlay - that's where my name came from! :-D My other dog is Fern.

How's the rover? I have to say, the post 2010 rovers are so much more reliable, but I love that older style!!!
Your license plate kinda gave that away. :) The one you see in my avatar is Huckleberry, so we have Huck and Fin. I really like the name Fern - what kind of dogs?

Yeah, we have an '11 RR. The new ones are great. But the '04 D2 is the best you can get of the old school and that's what I wanted. It's now back and almost ready for Owner's Day. One more slider to put on tomorrow morning. :)

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Your license plate kinda gave that away. :) The one you see in my avatar is Huckleberry, so we have Huck and Fin. I really like the name Fern - what kind of dogs?
Yeah, we have an '11 RR. The new ones are great. But the '04 D2 is the best you can get of the old school and that's what I wanted. It's now back and almost ready for Owner's Day. One more slider to put on tomorrow morning. :)
Oh yeah! :-) That was back when I had CA plates, now they are just MA plates (nothing special, except they are fisheries and wildlife plates).

Finlay is a 13-year old Anatolian shepherd and Fern is a 6-year old retiring racing greyhound. Both of them are extremely lazy. HAHA!

I love the 2011/2012 model year for the full-sized Range Rovers - so nice!!! I have a 2016 Range Rover Sport as well, but I think the next one will be full sized. To be honest, I love the RRS, but I just don't care for any of the "new" styles. Not sure what I will get next, but may not be a rover. I am likely keeping my 2013 LR4 long term. You are right, the 2004 Discovery 2s are awesome, really the best of being old school and comfortable. :-)

Do you mean Owner's day up in VT at LR experience school? I did the one in CA a few times and it's great. Actually, Mike and Corrie from OB did it as well in Carmel, CA and did a nice shout out because I know the guys in Carmel LR Experience.