East coast to west coast

• HTML tutorial

tzorb

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hi im new here and new to overlanding. Iv done camping and weekend trips at off road parks thats my extent. Im an auto tech by trade so trail/road repairs are the lest of my worry. Im planing a trip this august to drive from Lancaster Pennsylvania to moab to sedona arizona. 4500 miles round trip. Big time for a newbie i know haha. Any packing supplies, tips. Trails to run and which allow camping. Places to stop. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Welcome to the forum. Not familiar with Moab but in AZ around Sedona used to be you could camp anywhere on federal land. I'm sure it's still that way. I didn't own a 4x4 when I lived in Phoenix, so I never hit the trails there. Did a lot of hiking but no trail running.

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

If you are coming thru the Springfield Missouri area there is a place called SMORE. Southern Missour Off Road... I know you can camp there and there are varying trails that you could explore. If you swing this way let me know and I can see about joining you out there for the night.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

In 2011 I did this trip (below) over memorial day into June. I took 17.5 days driveway to driveway. I hit Rocky Mtn National Park, Moab, Arches National Park, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Four Corners, and Mesa Verde National Park, along with several state parks along the way. It was fantastic. While in Utah I took time to explore some ghost towns, and some old washed away mining towns. This book helped me plan a lot of it. See if you can find one on eBay cheaper as it's out of print now. I took most of my own food and extra water and fuel. Didn't have to use any of them but I came close with the fuel a few times.

One thing I was surprised about was the lack of fuel grade choices out west. Many places I stopped only had one unleaded option. Stop at your local BLM office once you get out there and they'll give you a map of all of their lands. Some will out line offroad trails for you. I wanted to drive to the Alston Point overlook and the Ranger highlighted the entire route for me. You can camp virtually anywhere on BLM lands. While you may be handy with a wrench, chances are you won't have cell service if something worse happens, so extra food and water - especially if soloing.

Last edited: