Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
We just recently got a drone and are still learning how to use it. Curious as to why they are not allowed in national parks. Is it for fear of overcrowding or a nuisance?
Its related to safety and conservation. If someone crashes a drone in a national park or conservation area they should recover it. This in many situations requires them to go off trail which can put them as well as the wildlife in the area in possible danger. If people leave the drone it also can lead to harm to the wildlife in the area. As much as I would love to fly drones in national parks and get great arial pictures of the area, I agree that we need to do everything we cam to stay safe and protect the wildlife in the area. The no drone flying applies to private and commercial entities, only people who can fly drones is government officials on official duty (forestry service, search and rescue, parks and wildlife, etc)

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Got the drones out and stretched their wings. I’ve noticed the Air 2S batteries do not like to hold a charge. Anyone else experience this issue? The Mini 2’s batteries will stay charged forever it seems.
My Air 2's batteries never seem to hold a full charge, charge them before leaving and next day one bar short of full after sitting in the box....

Reactions: JacksonRL

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Got the drones out and stretched their wings. I’ve noticed the Air 2S batteries do not like to hold a charge. Anyone else experience this issue? The Mini 2’s batteries will stay charged forever it seems.
My Air 2's batteries never seem to hold a full charge, charge them before leaving and next day one bar short of full after sitting in the box....
Exactly!

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
We just recently got a drone and are still learning how to use it. Curious as to why they are not allowed in national parks. Is it for fear of overcrowding or a nuisance?
Keeps the the wild wild. And Imagine the thousands of drones flying around. It would be a circus..

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

DJI air 2S, my DJI spark had a unfortunate incident with a tree on returned home. If I ever find another I will probably rebuild the spark just because it was so small and fun to fly but the air to S is far superior drone in every single way.

Here’s a video I took last night of the thunderstorm that went to the south of us. Standard onboard camera settings nothing fancy and I didn’t do any post editing other than the trim out for time

I definitely need to get my 107 but I did have strobes attached however I live very far away from all air traffic we’re actually within half an hour of the only dark sky area of Ohio

Reactions: 9Mike2

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I really starting to think I need one. Do they make one that will disperse bear spray?? I'm in! I could run up around the bend and see what the water looks like without having to walk through the brush and boulders for twenty minutes. Sounds like an old man's dream! Then, I need to find a place to carry it. Is it bigger than a bread box?

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I’ve noticed the Air 2S batteries do not like to hold a charge. Anyone else experience this issue? The Mini 2’s batteries will stay charged forever it seems.
If you guys haven't figured it out already, the newer DJI drones come with smart batteries. Which means they discharge themselves to storage capacity after a day. This keeps keep them healthier longer, you want that.

If the Mini 2 seems like it's staying charged, it's probably because you're keeping it on the charging hub or in the drone, it's not able to discharge itself in that state.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
If you guys haven't figured it out already, the newer DJI drones come with smart batteries. Which means they discharge themselves to storage capacity after a day. This keeps keep them healthier longer, you want that.

If the Mini 2 seems like it's staying charged, it's probably because you're keeping it on the charging hub or in the drone, it's not able to discharge itself in that state.

Did not know that, Thank you! Wish they would have it wait a few days so I can have full battery available on a trip. Getting kind of tired of 'smart things' at least give me an option to shut off the 'safety' features at my own risk...lol

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Question for all you drone flyers... Are there laws that restrict where and or when you can fly them? I had one in or over my back yard a couple weeks ago. Thought about shooting it down, as it seemed a bit intrusive, made me feel like it was casing the place. Turns out it was some guy working for a realtor in town. Learned that when I called the local police and they caught up with him in the neighborhood. Just figured there should be rules and regulations. Seems like there is for everything else...

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Question for all you drone flyers... Are there laws that restrict where and or when you can fly them? I had one in or over my back yard a couple weeks ago. Thought about shooting it down, as it seemed a bit intrusive, made me feel like it was casing the place. Turns out it was some guy working for a realtor in town. Learned that when I called the local police and they caught up with him in the neighborhood. Just figured there should be rules and regulations. Seems like there is for everything else...
Shooting at or shooting down a drone is a federal crime. It's no different than shooting at an airplane, drones are "aircraft". See 18 US Code 32 (18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities)

The FAA has sole authority over airspace. You don't have any right over the airspace above your property. In the same way you can't tell a 747 that they can't fly over your house, you can't tell a drone operator that they can't fly over your property.

Now, you do however have the rights to the airspace above your property that you can "reasonably use". As defined by US vs Causby (1946), that pretty much limits your rights to whatever is the highest point of your property (say a 100ft Redwood tree for example). That means a drone flying under the highest point of your property is technically trespassing.

In that case, the reasonable thing to do would be to call the local authorities and report the violation. Whether or not that does anything may just depend on where you live (I can't get my local police out for anything other than a violent incident these days).

Depending on where you live, there may be other laws that come into effect. California for example has AB 856 (passed in 2015) that says if a drone is flying over your property specifically for the purpose of taking photos of videos of you or your property, then it's an invasion of privacy. This law came about because the paparazzis were using drones to spy on Hollywood celebrities.

Obviously there's plenty of other, perfectly valid, reasons why a drone might be overflying your property. As you found out, realtors are doing a lot of drone work. Construction, survey, and maintenance are increasingly using drones in their field as well. Of course there's also just hobbyists like me who just like to see the world from another perspective.

Unless the drone is hovering over your place for an inordinate amount of time, I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike popular belief, we really can't see shit looking at our smartphones (which is what most drone users are using to fly their drones). You ever watch a movie from your smartphone? Yea, we get about as much detail, so the chances of somebody trying to spy on you as you walk naked from your hot tub is really quite low.

The dumbest thing to do would be to shoot it down. Not only is it a federal crime, what is the 4th rule of gun safety? You know that bit about being sure of your target and WHAT IS BEHIND IT. What goes up must come down, your bullets and shot are going to hit something, and you're gambling it's not coming down on a bus full of nuns or a 6-yr-old's head. Be a responsible gun owner at the very least, regardless of how you feel about drones.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Have a Mavic Air 2 and love it. I dont fly as much as I'd like but it's so much fun. Been studying for my 107 for almost 2 years. So maybe a total of 10 hours?!?!?. Not as much free time as I would like.

Air 2S batteries do not like to hold a charge.
Like someone else mentioned the batteries are programmed to drain down to 60% when in long term storage. It protects the batteries I guess. I find it annoying as hell but I guess if it keeps me from having to buy new batteries I can deal with it.

Last edited: