Rank III

Enthusiast I

Oxford, MS
First Name
Arne
Last Name
Diercks
Member #

I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Great drone. I have been flying for a few years now. Got my commercial license.
What did that entail?
It sounds bigger than it is. It’s basically an FAA license that allows me to fly for hire.
I assume you know that you will have to register your Magic Mini with the FAA. Every drone weighing above .55 pounds has to be registered. Flown recreationally or for hire.
From FAA’s website.
“In order to fly your drone under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107), you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA. This certificate demonstrates that you understand the regulations, operating requirements, and procedures for safely flying drones.”

To get that certificate you will have to take a written test in one of the FAA’s testing centers. It’s a pretty comprehensive knowledge test, including weather, SUAS law/regulations, flight behavior, aeronautical charts, and some other parts. It takes a bit of studying to pass it.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.
  • Mine weighs .54 LMAO
  • FAA is busy trying to keep idiots from purposely crashing their airplanes on youtube. LOL

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Fly a DJI Mavic Air2. Used mainly for videos created for fun. Considering a Part 107 certification but haven't done much studying yet. Probably will get around to it this year.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
We just recently got a drone and are still learning how to use it. Curious as to why they are not allowed in national parks. Is it for fear of overcrowding or a nuisance?