Dream Overland Trip

• HTML tutorial

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Originally I was supposed to be cutting diagonally through Canada then through Alaska to meet up with the Dalton Hwy then up to Prudhoe Bay next month. Third year in a row I've had a friend back out and I don't want to do that trip alone with my dogs all the way from Detroit. That trip was supposed to be happening next month so now that it's not happening I'm going to see family and friends in Europe instead.

This is a rough outline of my trip planned in October…. My plan is to cruise through some places I love and check out some new stuff as long as it aligns with my rough travel plan of Pacific North West, Northern California, Rubicon Trail, Mojave Road, Death Valley, Moab, Grand Staircase, Grand Canyon, Ouray, Big Bend…blah blah blah…As much as I can in a month. Probably going to buy a bunch of OB coins or something before I leave and hide them along the way.

And maybe bump into some fellow OB members. :)

Last edited:

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

What's up all? Having in mind the parameters set forth by OP, and where I am located, I would definitely want to do the following:

Drive up to Maine and leave the U.S to Quebec
Drive across Canada
Enter from Top of the World Highway back into Alaska.

That sounds like fun.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I'd like to do the TAT, then drive down the west coast to San Diego, then follow roads along the southern US to the Gulf over to Florida then back up to my house, all while seeing friends and family along the way.

Reactions: Nickzero and Kelly

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I'd have to sit down and plan out what I specifically wanted to see, but I guess I'd basically head east for two weeks, then turn around and head back along a different route.

KaptKarl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
Member #

Originally I was supposed to be cutting diagonally through Canada then through Alaska to meet up with the Dalton Hwy then up to Prudhoe Bay next month. Third year in a row I've had a friend back out and I don't want to do that trip alone with my dogs all the way from Detroit. That trip was supposed to be happening next month so now that it's not happening I'm going to see family and friends in Europe instead.

This is a rough outline of my trip planned in October…. My plan is to cruise through some places I love and check out some new stuff as long as it aligns with my rough travel plan of Pacific North West, Northern California, Rubicon Trail, Mojave Road, Death Valley, Moab, Grand Staircase, Grand Canyon, Ouray, Big Bend…blah blah blah…As much as I can in a month. Probably going to buy a bunch of OB coins or something before I leave and hide them along the way.

When you get to "H" let me know, that's home...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

For me, right now, it would (will) be a return back to Iceland.

Was laid-off 1.5 years ago, due to fall in World Oil Price - large contractors lay-offs...

So, decided to spend my time & energy organizing my next Arctic Trucks Expedition to Iceland (ICE2017).

Because I was (and still am) unemployed, cash and expedition budget was a prime focus, right from the very start.

So what I decided to do, was work hard at requesting Sponsorship and Support, from as many companies and organizations as I could - both locally and internationally.
This included requests for food, clothing, outdoor equipment, vehicle parts & equipment, sports goods, etc..

At first it was hard work, with a lot of "instant rejections".
However, as time passed, perseverance paid off, and I started to win more and more Sponsors and Supporters.

The key was to not ask for money, don't be greedy, and always propose clearly right from the very start, a win-win solution for both parties, so that the potential sponsor knows what they are getting into, before they dismiss your application as "just another request".

Generate a list of what you "need" and what you would "like" to receive - then you know where to focus your energy.
Always design your request appropriately - don't use a "standard" or "template" request.
Target your potential Sponsors, by asking them to donate something specific, that they make or sell.
Propose writing positive news blogs articles about their generous support, offer "field tests" of their equipment, add their logos and links to your website / blog, add their logo stickers to your vehicle,
and ALWAYS say THANK YOU in your Acknowledgements Page / Section.

Simple, straightforward advice - be mindful of what they are thinking when they receive your request.
Get them to appreciate what you are about to achieve, and try to win them over onto your team, as part of your expedition or story.
Make them feel good about helping you...

I have a background in Sales, Marketing and Business Development, which helps, but anyone can do it.

Take a look at our ICE2015 and ICE2017 websites.
You can find out who our expedition Sponsors and Supporters are (or have been), and what we have received as a result of our efforts.

And don't forget to use ebay and other similar sales routes, to sell things you dont really need anymore, to raise valuable cash for the trip.
Sell at reasonable / cheap prices, to get the sales process moving, and always tell them why you are selling the items - you will gain a lot of followers that way alone, and it occasionally results in even more sales from the buyers network, or repeat / return sales, etc..

Make a (Expedition / trip) business plan, keep professional, don't let rejections get you down, keep focus, stay committed.

Hope this was useful advice........

Good Luck with your fund raising and future adventures.

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
If you had 1 month of time-off and sufficient funds to go anywhere you wanted on an overland expedition; where would you go?

I'm thinking my dream trip would be overlanding from the Texas/Mexico border all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

I'm scheduled to get laid off next June... so I'll have a lot of free-time on my hands...
My dream for the past 20 years has been the Pan American trail in well appointed Suburban 2500.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have been to 27 different countries and I would have to go back to Australia. If you are able to the road of bones is a great experience. Afghanistan would have been cool except for been shot at or those pesky IEDs.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

By far, WAY FAR, would be New Zealand. While I was there I thought I could live there. People are so cool, and the land is breathtaking around every corner. Cannot wait to return for a much longer stay.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

My dream trip would be the completion of The Alexander MacKenzie Heritage Trail. Seems like such an awesome trip, but I'm years, if not more than a decade away from even beginning to plan a trip there.
The Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail my thoughts exactly! I'm a little behind the times its 2019 and I just watched the 1st & 2nd Expedition Overland episodes last night on youtube ... man what an incredible adventure so far. Can't wait till the work day is over to watch the other episodes. It would be a dream of mine to be part of such an amazing trail event. The history behind the trail alone is captivating and the scenery is amazing I would be in my happy place given the opportunity.

Reactions: Itacal

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Heading up the Dempster Hwy this suummer with 3 others. From Vancouver, WA will go up the AL-CAN From Dawson Creek to the Sign Forest then on route 4 to Dawson, Inuvek and Tuktoyaktuk. Back through Chicken and down to Whitehorse. Heading back down Hwy 37 and over to Jasper, Banff and Glacier National Park. Starting in late July for at least 30-35 days.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Heading up the Dempster Hwy this suummer with 3 others. From Vancouver, WA will go up the AL-CAN From Dawson Creek to the Sign Forest then on route 4 to Dawson, Inuvek and Tuktoyaktuk. Back through Chicken and down to Whitehorse. Heading back down Hwy 37 and over to Jasper, Banff and Glacier National Park. Starting in late July for at least 30-35 days.
We came back down from Tuk last July and took part of Hwy4 (the Robert Campbell Hwy) but we decided to detour down the South Canol Rd at Ross River. I'd suggest looking at that option if you are able. The South Canol Rd is desolate and stunning.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

That's pretty EPIC!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Tha
We came back down from Tuk last July and took part of Hwy4 (the Robert Campbell Hwy) but we decided to detour down the South Canol Rd at Ross River. I'd suggest looking at that option if you are able. The South Canol Rd is desolate and stunning.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My girlfriend and I will be tackling the TAT next month. April 1st will be our departure date. Our channel name is called Nikko and Lee. Will will be living out of our JKU wrangler in this time across country. Please follow our trip coming soon April 2019