Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I like where this is headed... we need some sponsors... ARB, BFG, Toyota, Jeep, etc. you listening?
It seems like you need some successes under your belt, i.e. Expedition Overland, to attract sponsorship.
There are a lot of opportunities for those companies to sponsor already successful exposure, this needs something unique to offer.
Anyone out there have any successes in marketing something like this or expertise in PR? You have to make them listen, make it worth their while, "what have you done for me tomorrow" kind of thing, right?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It seems like you need some successes under your belt, i.e. Expedition Overland, to attract sponsorship.
There are a lot of opportunities for those companies to sponsor already successful exposure, this needs something unique to offer.
Anyone out there have any successes in marketing something like this or expertise in PR? You have to make them listen, make it worth their while, "what have you done for me tomorrow" kind of thing, right?
Absolutely correct. That's why @Michael needs to head it up. He's the one with the existing audience. They'll also want to see an example of the quality we can produce (like a Pilot Episode). We have some amazing talent baked in to the membership, so that should be a problem. Also, if you're willing to go this route, it's easier to pull sponsors who are looking for opportunities to compete with the likes of ARB, Warn, BF Goodrich, Red Bull, etc.

Look how much (this was not a cheap production) Nitto Tires was willing to invest to try to compete in the Off-Road Market...

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

Absolutely correct. That's why @Michael needs to head it up. He's the one with the existing audience. They'll also want to see an example of the quality we can produce (like a Pilot Episode). We have some amazing talent baked in to the membership, so that should be a problem. Also, if you're willing to go this route, it's easier to pull sponsors who are looking for opportunities to compete with the likes of ARB, Warn, BF Goodrich, Red Bull, etc.

Look how much (this was not a cheap production) Nitto Tires was willing to invest to try to compete in the Off-Road Market...
combining resources & funds might be a more viable option for a group endeavor

fuel, food & repairs would be top priorities I'd imagine for starters

Reactions: Kelly

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Doing the Dalton Hwy would be awesome, but given the money and time, I think an Africa expedition would be awesome. Start off in Cape Town, go up through West Coast National Park, then into Namaqua National Park, followed by heading up to Namibia to go along the Skeleton Coast before cutting over to Botswana to go through the Okavango, Makgadikgadi and into the Kalahari. I'd then end up in Johannesburg to conclude the trip.

The other would be to do the Silk Road Overland Trail from Munich to Hong Kong.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Doing the Dalton Hwy would be awesome, but given the money and time, I think an Africa expedition would be awesome. Start off in Cape Town, go up through West Coast National Park, then into Namaqua National Park, followed by heading up to Namibia to go along the Skeleton Coast before cutting over to Botswana to go through the Okavango, Makgadikgadi and into the Kalahari. I'd then end up in Johannesburg to conclude the trip.

The other would be to do the Silk Road Overland Trail from Munich to Hong Kong.
When I did my motorcycle trip to Alaska, the plan was to take the Dalton highway. But when I pulled in to the motorcycle dealership in Fairbanks and saw a 12 foot tall pile of wrecked motorcycles behind the shop, which they told me were the results of failed attempts to ride to Prudhoe Bay, I decided to go up the Dempster instead. If you'd like to know the truth about the Dalton highway, take a few minutes to watch this. Very informative, and hilarious...

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Well, the Wife and I have been talking and we are thinking of heading up the Dempster in the summer of 2018. I'm hoping that by then the new highway from Inuvik to Tuk will be complete, and we will be able to drive the entire way. On our southward home route I'd like to head to Hyder, see the glaciers, and maybe (if time permits) take a ferry from the coast over to Vancouver Island and then back on home. That will count well enough for a super-epic trip for us....fingers crossed.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Well, the Wife and I have been talking and we are thinking of heading up the Dempster in the summer of 2018. I'm hoping that by then the new highway from Inuvik to Tuk will be complete, and we will be able to drive the entire way. On our southward home route I'd like to head to Hyder, see the glaciers, and maybe (if time permits) take a ferry from the coast over to Vancouver Island and then back on home. That will count well enough for a super-epic trip for us....fingers crossed.
Highly recommended! When I went, Inuvik was the end of the line. I'd love to go all the way to Tuktoyaktuk.

4867000793_8a0377f4e6_o.jpg
4867002493_943a0b35da_o.jpg
4867003007_5e6c3dbbf2_o.jpg
4863392707_29b3e86569_o (1).jpg
4867620518_16dbc2c5d7_o.jpg

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

I like the idea of a trans-north america trip. Go up north to hit all the big national parks, cut west along the TAT, hit as many national parks as possible until we hit the west coast, then go north to the arctic, stopping at scenic points along the way. All offroad. Well, as much as possible, anyways

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

My wife and I are planning a similar trip in the spring. I'm free to travel. Our plan is to go west from Alabama, head north through Utah, Colorado, go west and up to Alaska, on the way back come across Canada to the east coast and back south. Keep us posted, we may want to be apart of an Expedition.

Reactions: Romer and Kelly

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Prudhoe Bay is number one on my bucket list, but I would also like to spend lot of time in Alaska and the Northwest Territories.

I would also like to go to Patagonia Travelling down the West Coast of South America and then back on the East Coast.

Reactions: Kelly

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

It'd have to be a month in Africa for me. All the wildlife, rich culture and great sights would be amazing to do in a Jeep. Dan, from the Road Chose Me is spending 2 years in Africa, as he had already done South America in his TJ.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I think Africa would be a great way to spend a month,
Lots to see and do..
- Botswana
- Namibia
- Morocco
- Sudan
- Congo

Some fantastic wildlife and natural areas like Victoria falls and the Congo Rainforest,
Some friends of mine went earlier this year to Botswana and Morocco,

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

1 month off and I would go from Vancouver Wa to the redwoods, then to ave of the giants , over to Yosemite, hit up the ghost town Bodie, Death Valley, mammoth for a rest break as shower lol. The wander up through Carson city, Lassen national park and finally to crater lake.

Or I would caravan with my dad up to Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Regarding Key West to Prudhoe Bay:
( I'm using voice to text. Pardon the grammatical errors )

There seems to be an underlying sense, in the International Overland Community, that it's not a true expedition, unless it's in Australia, or Africa. We could make a dent in that perception.

I'm driving while I'm thinking about this, so I can't even look at a map, but:

Imagine a trip that started at the southern most point of the United States (Key West Florida), followed the back roads up to North Carolina, to the beginning of the TransAmerican trail. Followed the TAT all the way across to the Pacific ocean. Proceeded along the western most roads to Prudhoe Bay (Northern most point), then followed the Alcan highway, and the Continental Divide Trail, back down to the southern US border, then hugging the golf of Mexico, all the way back to Key West. That's got to be a 15,000 mile loop, right? Except for not having to get shots, tourist visas, or speak multiple languages, THAT'S a World Class Expedition!!! :-)
My dad did a similar trip in the 70s when he graduated. Tx mexico west coast canada east coast tx. In his green ford truck and his buddys t-bird. Cool to think of me doing it someday. Maybe with him and mom....

cbechtold

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasanton, CA
Member #

My dream trip would be the completion of The Alexander MacKenzie Heritage Trail. Seems like such an awesome trip, but I'm years, if not more than a decade away from even beginning to plan a trip there.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My dream trip would be the completion of The Alexander MacKenzie Heritage Trail. Seems like such an awesome trip, but I'm years, if not more than a decade away from even beginning to plan a trip there.
That sounds like an interesting adventure.

Reactions: cbechtold