Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

If you had 1 month of time-off and sufficient funds to go anywhere you wanted on an overland expedition; where would you go?

I'm thinking my dream trip would be overlanding from the Texas/Mexico border all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

I'm scheduled to get laid off next June... so I'll have a lot of free-time on my hands...

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

I have a few trips in mind. But the logistics would be tough anytime soon, i.e. having my land rover shipped across to the states in the first instance.

Like you, I want to go from the southern states, through California and Washington, up into Canada to Prudhoe bay, taking in Alaska. I really enjoyed the overland expedition series.

I would also like to do Australia and Tasmania. Particularly the northern areas.

Most attainable at the moment is Iceland in the summer. Land of Fire and Ice. This looks awe inspiring and the overlanding potential fantastic.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If you had 1 month of time-off and sufficient funds to go anywhere you wanted on an overland expedition; where would you go?

I'm thinking my dream trip would be overlanding from the Texas/Mexico border all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

I'm scheduled to get laid off next June... so I'll have a lot of free-time on my hands...
I'm totally in, but let's leave from Key West. Fastest Route - 5500 miles :-)
IMG_4849.PNG
@Narbob

Last edited:

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It would make one hell of an Expedition Documentary. I've got all the gear (cameras, drone, GoPros, sound, lights, editing equipment). Start an LLC, put up a YouTube channel, and a website to sell the documentary, and the whole thing is tax-deductible :-) Not to mention an amazing marketing piece for Overland Bound @Michael @Corrie But we'd have to get on it right away.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I guess I would start checking off the list of places that I will go one day.
First of which would be the long way from Southwestern Utah, near St. George to the upper Northwest Corner near Colorado. It's been done but man what a great trip that looks like.
2nd would be the TransAmerica Trail, but only starting from Colorado.
3rd might be the Oregon Trail, recently documented by @Oregon Trail Off-Road guys. Still waiting for that vid to land.

For me, there's enough in this country that I want to see, I want to do different countries / continents, but feel like I want to know my own backyard a little more.

Florida to Alaska? Count me in for that one!

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Regarding Key West to Prudhoe Bay:
( I'm using voice to text. Pardon the grammatical errors )

There seems to be an underlying sense, in the International Overland Community, that it's not a true expedition, unless it's in Australia, or Africa. We could make a dent in that perception.

I'm driving while I'm thinking about this, so I can't even look at a map, but:

Imagine a trip that started at the southern most point of the United States (Key West Florida), followed the back roads up to North Carolina, to the beginning of the TransAmerican trail. Followed the TAT all the way across to the Pacific ocean. Proceeded along the western most roads to Prudhoe Bay (Northern most point), then followed the Alcan highway, and the Continental Divide Trail, back down to the southern US border, then hugging the golf of Mexico, all the way back to Key West. That's got to be a 15,000 mile loop, right? Except for not having to get shots, tourist visas, or speak multiple languages, THAT'S a World Class Expedition!!! :-)

Last edited:

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It would be EPIC if this could be done. You could have a core group who will make the entire circuit and then have members of the OB community drop in and out as the group progresses based on location and availability.
Exactly!!! The core group could be made up of three vehicles. So here's the plan: Anyone who's interested in taking the entire trip, start buying lottery tickets tomorrow morning. As soon as we have three winners, we leave! ;-)

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Reactions: Kelly

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Regarding Key West to Prudhoe Bay:
( I'm using voice to text. Pardon the grammatical errors )

There seems to be an underlying sense, in the International Overland Community, that it's not a true expedition, unless it's in Australia, or Africa. We could make a dent in that perception.

I'm driving while I'm thinking about this, so I can't even look at a map, but:

Imagine a trip that started at the southern most point of the United States (Key West Florida), followed the back roads up to North Carolina, to the beginning of the TransAmerican trail. Followed the TAT all the way across to the Pacific ocean. Proceeded along the western most roads to Prudhoe Bay (Northern most point), then followed the Alcan highway, and the Continental Divide Trail, back down to the southern US border, then hugging the golf of Mexico, all the way back to Key West. That's got to be a 15,000 mile loop, right? Except for not having to get shots, tourist visas, or speak multiple languages, THAT'S a World Class Expedition!!! :-)
I like where this is headed... we need some sponsors... ARB, BFG, Toyota, Jeep, etc. you listening?

Reactions: Nickzero and Kelly