Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Is there a guide to downloading maps for Offline use? Reason I ask is I see the option for it in the App but I cannot do so as it says the feature is for a specific tier that doesn't appear to be available to me.
IMG_0982.PNG

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This option isn’t featured yet. This feature will be released soonish (from what my scourges are telling me). And yes it will be part of another tier that is being designed right now.

Remember the app is still in its infancy right now and is being updated on a regular basis with new features being integrated on each new update. You will see features that aren’t there as testing is done on each new feature before it’s public release.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Is there a guide to downloading maps for Offline use? Reason I ask is I see the option for it in the App but I cannot do so as it says the feature is for a specific tier that doesn't appear to be available to me.
View attachment 203726
We expect the expedition tier to go live in mid August. I’ve added it to your account so you should see a download button on your main map screen, which downloads a 50 mile square around the map center. I’ll have to remove it in a few days, but if you try it out, I’d love to get your feedback!

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
View attachment 203726
We expect the expedition tier to go live in mid August. I’ve added it to your account so you should see a download button on your main map screen, which downloads a 50 mile square around the map center. I’ll have to remove it in a few days, but if you try it out, I’d love to get your feedback!

I’ll give it a go and report back.

Thanks!

Reactions: Michael

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I was about to ask the same question on the offline maps. Barely got a Samsung and downloaded OB on it today. Is there a tutorial or something on using the app?
Thanks,
Ron W.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is there a tutorial or something on using the app?
Thanks,
Ron W.
There are several YouTube videos on Overland Bound. Also start a thread asking what you are wanting to know. The app pretty much fallows the website navigation.

Reactions: Ron W.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Can I try out the Offline maps also? Is the "Expedition Tier" going to be ontop of the Membership?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Can I try out the Offline maps also? Is the "Expedition Tier" going to be ontop of the Membership?
Yes you can! I just ask for some feedback here so we can improve and iterate! Sound good?

I’ll set this up later today.

Yes, Expedition package will be everything in Adventure package +offline features.

M

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I've been using the download feature a bit and I have a question.

What is exactly downloaded? From my testing (simulated no signal via airplane mode) Road names, Detailed terrain, topo lines don't seem to download. They just seem to stay at the resolution of what was viewed during downloaded. Meaning as i zoom in the smaller roads and details don't populate.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

What is exactly downloaded? From my testing (simulated no signal via airplane mode) Road names, Detailed terrain, topo lines don't seem to download. They just seem to stay at the resolution of what was viewed during downloaded. Meaning as i zoom in the smaller roads and details don't populate.
Great to know. I think I confirmed this the other day. The intent is that you get all that detail at navigation zoom level. Sounds like we need to do some tuning. I’ll report what we download and we’ll go from there. Thanks!

Reactions: SJ.Overland

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey guys - I moved this convo here:

Reactions: M Rose

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

We confirmed there is an issue with the offline map display. I’d be curious if you go into settings and turn on “offline mode” is you see better resolution.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We confirmed there is an issue with the offline map display. I’d be curious if you go into settings and turn on “offline mode” is you see better resolution.
I had decent resolution when out in my Bend trip at the end of May when I was out of service areas. Although I didn’t have road names in a few places…

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I had the same question. When I click on OFFLINE Maps it says "You are a member of this feature..." along those lines and at the bottom is says "Continue" with a message "You purchased your membership online. If you continue it will not be cancelled" or something like that. I can't tell if I have it or not (I understand it isn't live yet, still confused if I will hve it). Sorry, I am on day 2 of my membership and trying to figure things out.

Also wonderig, how come the resource map online has a filter for "Offroad Trail", but the APP version does not?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I had the same question. When I click on OFFLINE Maps it says "You are a member of this feature..." along those lines and at the bottom is says "Continue" with a message "You purchased your membership online. If you continue it will not be cancelled" or something like that. I can't tell if I have it or not (I understand it isn't live yet, still confused if I will hve it). Sorry, I am on day 2 of my membership and trying to figure things out.

Also wonderig, how come the resource map online has a filter for "Offroad Trail", but the APP version does not?
There are two apps, one is the paid app, the paid app doesn’t have downloadable areas, track recording, or offline maps.
The second app is in Beta testing, which has downloadable maps for offline use, and track recording.
If you went to the Play Store or Apple Play and got the app, the. You have the public release… if you signed up for @Michael’s beta testing and downloaded the app through TestFlight (Apple, not sure about android) then you have the Beta App.
I hope this helps.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

There are two apps, one is the paid app, the paid app doesn’t have downloadable areas, track recording, or offline maps.
The second app is in Beta testing, which has downloadable maps for offline use, and track recording.
If you went to the Play Store or Apple Play and got the app, the. You have the public release… if you signed up for @Michael’s beta testing and downloaded the app through TestFlight (Apple, not sure about android) then you have the Beta App.
I hope this helps.
Thanks Mike - OK that makes sense. How about the question on the map when on a regular PC and not on the APP. On my regular Chrome browser I have a "Offroad Trails" filter, on APP it is missing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks Mike - OK that makes sense. How about the question on the map when on a regular PC and not on the APP. On my regular Chrome browser I have a "Offroad Trails" filter, on APP it is missing.
I don’t know… I see the “Off-road Trails” on OB1, but nothing to filter to turn them off… I’m unsure if this is because I’m on the Betta App or not. Previously I was part of the Alpha test group as well. So I have been seeing Off-Road Trails for quite some time on the app.