Downloadable bumper plans

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I just bought a set of plans for a front bumper for my Jeep from flatland4x4.com. They cost $30 and came with a PDFs file to view like blue prints and 3 dwg files for use in cad programs and cnc machines. My plan is to take them to the place I bought the steel for my tire carrier and see how much they will charge me for the steel and to cut it all out on their fancy plasma table. If my guess is right I can get this bumper done for under $300. They only have plans for a few Jeep models and Tacomas but it's a pretty interesting idea. Any thoughts?

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Saw them mentioned in another post and checked them out. Love the idea and saw they offer licenses if you want to use their plan to build and sell their designs which is cool. Just wish they had something that would work for me but those are few and far between.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I built a mock up of the bumper from cardboard. I wanted to make sure the plans worked and see any issues before I bought the steel and had it cut. I still need to fit it on my Jeep. I might also make a change or two for fog lights and shackle mounts. Building the mock up helped me see how the real one will go together better though so that will be helpful. The design seems to work well which I'm happy about. I'm definitely glad I'm going to have all the metal cut on a computer controlled plasma cutter instead of doing it myself. There is no way I could be a precise with an angle grinder and while you can adjust things a bit when welding, I think I will get a better finished product with the plasma cutter.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Having just made my skid plates with an angle grinder I couldn't agree more. I probably wouldn't even attempt a bumper with an angle grinder for fear it would all end up being waste.

Reactions: Delux2769

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I've been quoted at $197 for the steel cut, I've ordered shackle mounts for $50 and some fog lights too that will bring the total to about $300 for the whole project. I thought about just ordering the kit form G&G, but I really wanted to support my local metal shop. They are great people and are really helpful with projects like this. They're a pretty new shop and really rely on small specialized orders to keep in business. They are the only metal supply shop in the area that is willing to sell you the steel and cut it to order for small projects. I'd pay a little extra to them just to try and help them out to be honest. I'm a sucker for local and American made stuff though.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I like the idea of supporting local businesses when I can also. I thought about going your route when I had my WJ, the cool thing about the XJ is all the aftermarket bolt on stuff! I do respect the people who build WJ's a lot more now that I know their struggle lol

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I like the idea of supporting local businesses when I can also. I thought about going your route when I had my WJ, the cool thing about the XJ is all the aftermarket bolt on stuff! I do respect the people who build WJ's a lot more now that I know their struggle lol
Want to talk about lack of aftermarket support, come check out my world :disrelieved: :grinning:

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@MarkW you are hurting for aftermarket support for sure, good thing is you don't need much! @binsfejo has so much aftermarket he can almost buy a lift kit at Walmart. Must be nice! I think even if I owned a wrangler I would still do diy stuff like this, I enjoy it. Maybe I should've been a welder.

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@MarkW you are hurting for aftermarket support for sure, good thing is you don't need much! @binsfejo has so much aftermarket he can almost buy a lift kit at Walmart. Must be nice! I think even if I owned a wrangler I would still do diy stuff like this, I enjoy it. Maybe I should've been a welder.
While I do wish there was more aftermarket available I am with you on liking the DIY. I like coming up with creative solutions when I can. Another thing I like about the DIY route is that every rigs doesn't look like all the rest. This is not a knock on those who do have great aftermarket availability but I just love having a rig that is different from the rest of my group even though that does have it's draw backs at times.

Reactions: TexasGMG

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

While I do wish there was more aftermarket available I am with you on liking the DIY. I like coming up with creative solutions when I can. Another thing I like about the DIY route is that every rigs doesn't look like all the rest. This is not a knock on those who do have great aftermarket availability but I just love having a rig that is different from the rest of my group even though that does have it's draw backs at times.
I agree with having a rig that looks different from everyone elses. One of the reasons I'm not always choosing the "popular" brands. Hence the ComeUp winch instead of a Warn. I'm also going to be keeping the factory bumpers, because they're already steel, and accept the AEV tire carrier. Gotta love saving money. It's nice having a lot of choices though!

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I agree with having a rig that looks different from everyone elses. One of the reasons I'm not always choosing the "popular" brands. Hence the ComeUp winch instead of a Warn. I'm also going to be keeping the factory bumpers, because they're already steel, and accept the AEV tire carrier. Gotta love saving money. It's nice having a lot of choices though!
I am the same way in most aspects of life. In general if it's something everyone is running out to get I won't get it, don't like following the crowd I guess. Smart using what you already have such as the bumpers. Always good to save when you can, just allows more money to build more creative solutions.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I agree, I'm generally not into what is super popular, I like having a unique rig, it's cool when people ask where I got my tire carrier and I reply that I made it, I like the reaction. Plus welding is a ton of fun. I am jealous of rigs that can run 35's with just bolt on mods though. I'll never be able to run 35's on my WJ. Too much would need to be swapped, axles, transfer case, drive shafts, long arm suspension kits, I'd push 10k to get it done I think. I would love a JKU if they could tow what my WJ does.

Reactions: maxfederle89

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I agree, I'm generally not into what is super popular, I like having a unique rig, it's cool when people ask where I got my tire carrier and I reply that I made it, I like the reaction. Plus welding is a ton of fun. I am jealous of rigs that can run 35's with just bolt on mods though. I'll never be able to run 35's on my WJ. Too much would need to be swapped, axles, transfer case, drive shafts, long arm suspension kits, I'd push 10k to get it done I think. I would love a JKU if they could tow what my WJ does.
I wish I had your fab skills. I can create items I need but it's not always the most beautiful work. I am just learning to weld. Bought a cheap flux core welder when I build the drawer system but on my skid plates I just finished this weekend I went to a friends so he could do the welds, wanted to make sure they were good. Got to say, a good quality welder makes all the difference.

Don't be jealous but I could run 35s with zero mods :smilingimp:

I would like to go to 37s now with the lift but would be pushing the front end so going to stay at 35s.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

After market options for both my rigs are a real nightmare to be sure. I do like the look of that bumper, and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Even with the lack of options, I love my XK! I do wish I knew how to weld, and/or had a good relationship with a fab shop.

Until then, I can't wait to see how this project comes along!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Went and ordered the steel today. $250 for it all cut on a CNC plasma table. I can pick up tomorrow and start welding! I'm pretty stoked! The metal supply store I went to was impressed with the flatland 4x4 plans, they were able to load the cad files right into the plasma cutter with no extra work, not bad for $30. @jdunk, I wanted to learn to weld for years and eventually I just bought a cheap harbor freight welder and some metal and figured it out. Wire feed welding is really easy to be honest. Seems a lot more intimidating than it really is.