Downloadable bumper plans

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

That's pretty close to my plan. I already have the receiver sleeve. I think I'm just going to run the square tubing across, cut a hole in the 3/16" plate, weld the sleeve the the square tubing and the 3/16" plate and call it good. Then all I have to do is run power for the winch and I think I can cover the whole thing with the license plate so it won't look too bad. I'm going the carrier route so that I can mount the winch either front or rear of the vehicle as needed, store it safely in the cargo area, leave it in the garage if I don't need it, and keep the profile of the front bumper a bit smaller.

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

I like how its coming along. I may buy the file now that I've seen someone use it. I will only use it for reference only and make my own. I have SolidWorks on my computer so it should be fun. I should install my IRO 4" lift first before taking another project. :)

Reactions: pruittaw

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@HangryMachinist thanks man, the file is a good deal, the cad drawings are spot on, the bumper design is pretty good, but not the best one I've seen. I'm going to make a few changes, but nothing major. I wish I had continued with drafting after high school, I'd love to be able to make some changes.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

image.jpeg
I was able to fit, spot weld, remove and stray welding solid the other half of the bumper. This pretty much completes the build as per the instructions. From here on its all my own ideas and fabrication skills. I need to add recovery points, fog light housings, bracing, some aesthetic changes, tabs for fender well liner mounting and auxiliary lighting. Then clean it up and paint it.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I finished all the structural welds today and installed the recovery points. Just fog light enclosures and aesthetic additions to finish? I'm pretty stoked about it! I had figured the recovery points would be tough because I needed to cut 1"x2" holes in the bumper face for them to go through and all I have to do it with is an angle grinder and a sawzall. With a little ingenuity I was able to get it done. I choose these recovery points over the standard ones that just weld on for added strength. I've had a recovery point on a vehicle I was recovering fail before. It sent a shackle slamming into the lift gate of my xterra, missed going through the window by 2", it had it could have been a bad day. I want to make sure anything I build won't cause the same problem.

These are the recovery points I used. They're from Chassis Unlimited, picked them up on Amazon.

With recovery points.

The recovery points stick out about 3"

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Nice job. I am a bit gun shy of angle grinders with a cutoff wheels these days. In December when I was working on my new skid plates I had one get bound up, shoot out my hands, bounce of the floor and slice my ankle open. Never really hurt much and could have been much much worse but took 8 stitches and still causes some pain from time to time. Of course right after getting the stitches that day I was back out the cutting away but very mindful of it.

Reactions: murps

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

image.jpeg Put another 90 minutes into the bumper this weekend. Welded the frame mounts solid, I think I'm going to add some bracing to them for greater lateral strength though. The more I look at them the less I like the design as it stands. Then I welded the grill slats into the center 5 slots of the radiator skid. I'm going to install my foglights in the outer two and didn't have time to start fabricating the housing. Slowly but surely it's coming along.

lbseals

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sout West Oregon
Member #

@timberwolf_120 is that the flatland bumper? did you buy the pre-cut kit? Looks pretty good. I have a set of plans but haven't pulled the trigger on getting them cut out yet. A friend of mine has a cnc laser I was hoping to get some time on. But they have been slammed and unable to fit me in. @MarkW I look forward to seeing yours when you get it put together. The mock up was a great idea. I think I'll make one.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@lbseals that is the flatland bumper, I didn't buy the kit, but if I did it again I would. I didn't save much over the cut price by having a local shop do it and some of the pieces that come tack welded would've saved some headaches. I modified mine though. I added the grill slats and made the sides meet the fender line. I also added a few pieces to the front to make it match the lines of the headlights.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

@timberwolf_120 is that the flatland bumper? did you buy the pre-cut kit? Looks pretty good. I have a set of plans but haven't pulled the trigger on getting them cut out yet. A friend of mine has a cnc laser I was hoping to get some time on. But they have been slammed and unable to fit me in. @MarkW I look forward to seeing yours when you get it put together. The mock up was a great idea. I think I'll make one.
Yea I got the one from ggcustommetalfab.com for 270 picked up and then about 100 bucks to my welder. I'm in the bumper maybe 380 after Bedliner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I can say from personal experience that the 1/2-3/4 ton compact SUV series from Chevrolet, GMC, Honda, Isuzu, Nissan are probably the hardest to find aftermarket items for; therefore I fabricate what I need and plan on doing this for the front and rear bumpers as well as the sliders and rockguards. I want to eliminate the drag front bumper and strengthen the rear as well as build a double tire carrier and rotopax mount for offroad hand tools, but I degress its alot of planning and work for me to get it all done like I want.