Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

Come join us as we explore a bit of North Central Washingon near Wenatchee. Planning on heading over Stevens Pass Saturday morning, exploring a couple of roads on the way to Douglas Creek BLM area for an overnight camp and some exploring of the roads and trails in the area. This area has some great views and some pretty good campsites.

Reactions: M Rose

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I went out there a few weekends ago. The "falls" are cool. Very small stream crossing to enter the Douglas creek area. I'm in Wenatchee because of work but can't make it this weekend.
We had not been there before until last Saturday, Not a huge area but some good trails, the water crossings were no issue, but rain up on the highlands turned the clay into a royal mess, did not finish exploring the higher roads as we did not want to tear up the soft roads. Plenty of wildlife around aso.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
How is the trail there for a small trailer. I’d drop it off at the location and explore away!
Clay and a trailer doesn’t sound like fun. So dependent on weather, too.
Susan, ultimate decision is up to you as I don't know your trailer or comfort level pulling it off road. Best i can do is give you an idea of what road conditions you may encounter. Most of the road where you would be pulling the trailer is pretty bumpy with rocks, not the typical smooth forest service roads. The mud level will depend on weather, last saturday it was raining and a couple of the hills were pretty muddy. There are a few water crossings which averaged a bit of a foot deep (again weather dependant). The last streatch before where we will likely camp has a couple of off camber spots and a couple of rises to break over where you may drag anything that hangs down on a lower trailer. Personally I would not have a problem with a narrow off road trailer with good suspension (turttleback or simialr) but I would think twice before pulling a teardrop or trailer that was wider than my vehicle through the south entrance where we will be going in. There did seem to be some good locations for a ground tent if thats an option. (There is a much easier way in from the north on hwy 2 that we will be leaving by that could be used, and then connect with the group by radio or drive by to find the site we end up in. (can send you a map with that way in if that is somethign you want to do). Weather wise will likely be a grab bag, we always expect rain, that way we are super happy when it is nice, but not disapointed when its not, typical eastern Washington, just wait 10 minutes and the weather will be different.

Reactions: BroncoNana

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
How is the trail there for a small trailer. I’d drop it off at the location and explore away!
Clay and a trailer doesn’t sound like fun. So dependent on weather, too.
If this is the place that I'm thinking of (47.464386, -119.873572) you could come in from the south north side on a nicely graded gravel road to drop off a trailer.

Edit - had my map upside down... please see Dave's correction below.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTH Overland

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
This is me crawling back up from Douglas Creek with a freshly washed undercarriage a few years ago.

1651902102473.png

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
If this is the place that I'm thinking of (47.464386, -119.873572) you could come in from the south side on a nicely graded gravel road to drop off a trailer.
The road in from the south is well graded up to just past where the BLM land starts, there is a small area that could be camped in, however we will most likely be camping more to the central/northen end. Once you get to the area with the falls, you have a choice of dropping down a very steep hill to the falls, or skirting around on another road, but that has an area with an off camber area that would not be good for taller trailers, and once past the falls there are a couple of crests in the road that could catch low hanging stuff such trailer tounges, underslug spare tires etc. Definatly not saying any one particular trailer can not make it, as some are very capable, but many are just regular travel trailers with bigger tires and labeled as off road worthy. I do not want to be responsible for recommending it, especially without knowing the individual trailer/ to vehicle combination and the drivers experience / limits. That is why I recommended the North entrance (Hiwy 2, go past Waterville, and turn south on Road H which turns into Slack Road and enters the Douglas Creek Area) and meeting up with the group after we find a camp. should be easy to find as the camping is primarily on the main road thru the area.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@mtn & @BGEJT21, Looking forward to seeing you guys, We will definaty swing by the Safeway in Monroe on our way over the hill, should be around 8:30am or shortly after depending on traffic. Just east of the McDonalds in the Safeway parking lot typicaly has plenty of open space.

BGE021

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Port Orchard, Washington, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Gillott
Member #

@mtn & @BGEJT21, Looking forward to seeing you guys, We will definaty swing by the Safeway in Monroe on our way over the hill, should be around 8:30am or shortly after depending on traffic. Just east of the McDonalds in the Safeway parking lot typicaly has plenty of open space.
Excellent, I’ll be there at 8:30

Reactions: mtn