Don't Leave Home Without This - Overland Tool Kit Essentials | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Don't Leave Home Without This - Overland Tool Kit Essentials

Discussion in 'General Overland Discussion' started by Michael, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Michael

Michael Rank VI
    Staff Member Founder 500 Member Supporter

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KM6YSL
    Map
    #1 Michael, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019
    Arailt, Nate Saca, Whiteout and 3 others like this.
  2. Tony Patrignani

Tony Patrignani Rank II

Member #:

Map
    #2 Tony Patrignani, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    I bought the same tool roll, actually Micheal bought it because I bought it! I haven't loaded it yet because I wasn't 100% sure what I needed. Thank you for creating this list and for the video! This has inspired mt to FINALLY organize my rig's tools. **This thing is super heavy duty, love the quality!**

OH, I'm just kidding I copied Michael and Corrie.........OB#11480

3. Jku Ben

Jku Ben Rank III

Member #:

Map
  4. MOAK

MOAK Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Nice. I've been out on occasion with folks that bring entire wrench and socket kits. Anything more than the six or seven wrench or socket sizes you need is a waste of space and weight.

5. MOAK

MOAK Rank V

Member #:

Map
    I do carry a bit more of SAE sockets and wrenches because my trailer uses SAE fasteners. I also carry 1/2" drive tools for the bigger stuff.

6. Anak

Anak Rank III

Map
    That only works so long as there is nobody else in the group.

I have seen a whole lot of scrambling and searching through everybody's rig in an effort to find the tools/pieces to put another rig back into operable order.

I carry my stuff with the expectation that I will likely end up using it on someone else's rig. And I don't know which size tools their rig will need.

Boort likes this.
  7. Jkurubi12

Jkurubi12 Rank 0

Member #:

Map
    I've had to work more on other peoples rigs than my own (thankfully). Even though it is a bit more weight and room taken up, I prefer having a full compliment of tools, especially if we are going somewhere off the beaten path.

8. MOAK

MOAK Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Certainly, I've used my tools on multiple occasions either by loaning them to someone or wrenching it myself. My 1/2 breaker bar, and sockets have come in handy for that sort of thing more than once. Bringing an entire tool kit, or even half of the tools I have on hand, would simply weigh too much and take up valuable space. It is only my opinion though and it works very well for us. Perhaps it depends on distances traveled. If I were going on a somewhat local run with a group, then sure, I'd pack in an extra this or that, including tools like chainsaws.

9. trovilcl

trovilcl Rank 0

As someone who has a full size rig, I go a little overboard with my recovery/repair gear. I have a full compliment of tools to almost take my truck completely apart. Not a fan of having to rely on people, especially when they aren't there. I think though, it would be advised just as much to carry commonly broken spare parts as well. Another thing I think I will be throwing in my tool kit would be a 0-150 Ftlb torque wrench with ratcheting head in 1/2" drive. Having a truck that has a GVWR of 3000lbs is nice sometimes.

MtnManAlex likes this.
  10. slomatt

slomatt Rank III

Map
    Carrying a larger selection of sockets and wrenches can be useful if you have to work on other people's rigs. There is a lot of "close enough" overlap between metric and SAE (ex. 13mm = 1/2", 19mm = 3/4", etc) so I just carry a set of metric sockets and wrenches. I also carry a set of torx bits because a friend has a Jeep. One thing I haven't seen in some tool kits is a spark plug socket, which can be useful if you need to tighten/check/clean the plugs or blow oil out of the cylinders after a roll over.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/vehicle-inventory.10765/

MOAK likes this.
  11. MtnManAlex

MtnManAlex Rank I

Map
    I carry the torque wrench in my kit too. It is necessary for most steering and suspension repairs (which I seem to have a lot of lately).

12. Fordcappy

Fordcappy Rank 0

Member #:

Map
    I just joined the group, my first post, I received a tarp from adventure tool company, great experience, fast shipping and a fantastic high quality product. Can't say enough about them, I look forward to fitting my 4runner with their gear.

MOAK likes this.
  13. OutOfStep

OutOfStep Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Atlas 46 and blue ridge overland got some nice tool tool up bags