Tornado Driving - What to do

• HTML tutorial

Tony Patrignani

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Athens, GA
Member #

I bought the same tool roll, actually Micheal bought it because I bought it! I haven't loaded it yet because I wasn't 100% sure what I needed. Thank you for creating this list and for the video! This has inspired mt to FINALLY organize my rig's tools. **This thing is super heavy duty, love the quality!**

OH, I'm just kidding I copied Michael and Corrie.........OB#11480

Last edited:

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice. I've been out on occasion with folks that bring entire wrench and socket kits. Anything more than the six or seven wrench or socket sizes you need is a waste of space and weight.
I do carry a bit more of SAE sockets and wrenches because my trailer uses SAE fasteners. I also carry 1/2" drive tools for the bigger stuff.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Nice. I've been out on occasion with folks that bring entire wrench and socket kits. Anything more than the six or seven wrench or socket sizes you need is a waste of space and weight.
That only works so long as there is nobody else in the group.

I have seen a whole lot of scrambling and searching through everybody's rig in an effort to find the tools/pieces to put another rig back into operable order.

I carry my stuff with the expectation that I will likely end up using it on someone else's rig. And I don't know which size tools their rig will need.

Reactions: Boort

Jkurubi12

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Beato
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VWL
I've had to work more on other peoples rigs than my own (thankfully). Even though it is a bit more weight and room taken up, I prefer having a full compliment of tools, especially if we are going somewhere off the beaten path.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That only works so long as there is nobody else in the group.

I have seen a whole lot of scrambling and searching through everybody's rig in an effort to find the tools/pieces to put another rig back into operable order.

I carry my stuff with the expectation that I will likely end up using it on someone else's rig. And I don't know which size tools their rig will need.
Certainly, I've used my tools on multiple occasions either by loaning them to someone or wrenching it myself. My 1/2 breaker bar, and sockets have come in handy for that sort of thing more than once. Bringing an entire tool kit, or even half of the tools I have on hand, would simply weigh too much and take up valuable space. It is only my opinion though and it works very well for us. Perhaps it depends on distances traveled. If I were going on a somewhat local run with a group, then sure, I'd pack in an extra this or that, including tools like chainsaws.

trovilcl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

As someone who has a full size rig, I go a little overboard with my recovery/repair gear. I have a full compliment of tools to almost take my truck completely apart. Not a fan of having to rely on people, especially when they aren't there. I think though, it would be advised just as much to carry commonly broken spare parts as well. Another thing I think I will be throwing in my tool kit would be a 0-150 Ftlb torque wrench with ratcheting head in 1/2" drive. Having a truck that has a GVWR of 3000lbs is nice sometimes.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Carrying a larger selection of sockets and wrenches can be useful if you have to work on other people's rigs. There is a lot of "close enough" overlap between metric and SAE (ex. 13mm = 1/2", 19mm = 3/4", etc) so I just carry a set of metric sockets and wrenches. I also carry a set of torx bits because a friend has a Jeep. One thing I haven't seen in some tool kits is a spark plug socket, which can be useful if you need to tighten/check/clean the plugs or blow oil out of the cylinders after a roll over.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/vehicle-inventory.10765/

Reactions: MOAK

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

As someone who has a full size rig, I go a little overboard with my recovery/repair gear. I have a full compliment of tools to almost take my truck completely apart. Not a fan of having to rely on people, especially when they aren't there. I think though, it would be advised just as much to carry commonly broken spare parts as well. Another thing I think I will be throwing in my tool kit would be a 0-150 Ftlb torque wrench with ratcheting head in 1/2" drive. Having a truck that has a GVWR of 3000lbs is nice sometimes.
I carry the torque wrench in my kit too. It is necessary for most steering and suspension repairs (which I seem to have a lot of lately).

Fordcappy

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Worcester, MA, USA
Member #

I just joined the group, my first post, I received a tarp from adventure tool company, great experience, fast shipping and a fantastic high quality product. Can't say enough about them, I look forward to fitting my 4runner with their gear.

Reactions: MOAK

AshtoninAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Member #

I have learned through tough experiences that you cannot have enough sockets and wrenches. The key is organizing and storing them in the perfect spot

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have a 2016 Tundra that is my overland rig and DD.. I also have a '90 Jeep Wrangler that will be eased into this exciting new past time/ way of life and then there is the '66 IH Scout that will be more purpose built as a full time rig..To create a tool set for each rig will be VERY costly. I used to be a Linc/Merc tech and have many types,sets,combinations of tools to be able to have 1 tool set for all 3 rigs and possibly a secondary set of off the wall spares for other people I may be out on the trails with.. The only tool that is needed the most is the one you don't have with you..One of the things I learned when I 1st started at that dealership was if I used someone else's tool that I didn't have more than 3 times, by my own because they won't lend it out anymore.. So when you're out on the trail and ,God forbid, something happens, be sure you pay attention to what it is everybody is needing so you have it next time..

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have a 2016 Tundra that is my overland rig and DD.. I also have a '90 Jeep Wrangler that will be eased into this exciting new past time/ way of life and then there is the '66 IH Scout that will be more purpose built as a full time rig..To create a tool set for each rig will be VERY costly. I used to be a Linc/Merc tech and have many types,sets,combinations of tools to be able to have 1 tool set for all 3 rigs and possibly a secondary set of off the wall spares for other people I may be out on the trails with.. The only tool that is needed the most is the one you don't have with you..One of the things I learned when I 1st started at that dealership was if I used someone else's tool that I didn't have more than 3 times, by my own because they won't lend it out anymore.. So when you're out on the trail and ,God forbid, something happens, be sure you pay attention to what it is everybody is needing so you have it next time..

I live this world. All the way down to "if I needed to borrow it three times then I simply need to buy one", and it isn't that folks won't lend it to me again. It simply shows that I need to own that tool.

I have my tool kit broken into sub-kits. There is a kit in each vehicle that is dedicated to that vehicle. That kit involves a somewhat universal socket set/wrench set/hand tools plus the oddball large sockets need for that particular vehicle's transfer case fill plug or axle nut. But then I also have the traveling kit which I move from vehicle to vehicle as trips dictate. That is the kit that contains a scanner, fuel pressure gauge, multimeter, sets of gearwrenches and other things that are a bit too costly to own in multiples. Or at least own in multiples that correspond to my multiple vehicles.

Reactions: Scout and Boort

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ha...I'm with ya on going overboard! Boondocking like my wife and I do, we have to be self-reliant. I always keep my 18v Milwaukee cordless tools with me in the truck and at the least, I highly recommend a cordless drill with various bits and fasteners. I always have some Tek5 self tapping metal screws with me and with a scrap piece of flat bar, I can band-aid any broken weld on the trailer. For about $20 you can buy a nice set of nearly every bit...phillips, star, hex, torx, etc. Pretty handy to have...especially with the low quality of RVs now days, I'm always having to tighten something or add a screw. And of course, duct tape and a small roll of bailing wire. I was on nuke subs in the Navy and you'd be surprised at how much of a sub was repaired with duct tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

Connor_Dobbins

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Northwest Chicago Suburb
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Dobbins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHW455
I bought the same tool roll, actually Micheal bought it because I bought it! I haven\'t loaded it yet because I wasn\'t 100% sure what I needed. Thank you for creating this list and for the video! This has inspired mt to FINALLY organize my rig\'s tools. **This thing is super heavy duty, love the quality!**

OH, I\'m just kidding I copied Michael and Corrie.........OB#11480
What is the name/brand of the tool it looks really nice!