Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I take ours everywhere, he does not like the rocking motion of the van down gravel roads....more rest stops, but once parked time to explore. Keep him leashed at all times, loves to chase squirrels and Praire dogs. He is a rescue, an Akida with some Blue Heeler and others, very loyal.
How much does your van rock??

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
There any thing in Particular would get you to take them more often? 15 Years ago I used to Train and show dog's I was good at it and i enjoyed it. Got me thinking about doing something with dog's and Overlanding
The secret word here is "trained". An untrained animal in a setting where other folks may be at risk is a problem. I don't like seeing dogs tied up especially at camp. My dog was always mindful and well behaved around others. Never chased critters, never barked unless there was a intruder and I had at least one. Folks have to put in the work to have a good experience with pets outside. The last time I checked there were no dog parks at 12,000 feet. LMAO
Zim

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Ford
Member #

Service Branch
Former EMT
The secret word here is "trained". An untrained animal in a setting where other folks may be at risk is a problem. I don't like seeing dogs tied up especially at camp. My dog was always mindful and well behaved around others. Never chased critters, never barked unless there was a intruder and I had at least one. Folks have to put in the work to have a good experience with pets outside. The last time I checked there were no dog parks at 12,000 feet. LMAO
Zim
As someone who ties his dog up at camp 90% of the time, unfortunately there are not many situations where you can train a dog in a camp-like scenario outside of camp. I recently invested in a 30ft lead I can tie down somewhere so we can practice recalls without him running off. I have to play a little bit of catchup since I adopted my dog at over a year old and the previous owners didn't do much of any training.

Reactions: 9Mike2

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Because of her aggression towards other dogs ( haven't figured out why) we only take her out when we are lone at a campsite...usually on BLM or NF, boondocking

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

As for a dog being leashed at camp, that should be mandatory. Very, very few dogs are trained well enough to ignore distractions well enough to recall under ALL situations. And that is when the owner is around to recall the dog. Scenarios ALWAYS pop up where owners get distracted and it only take a second for a dog to be off after a distraction. Most dogs don't have the ability to ignore the "chase" a distraction presents, especially when a new scenario pops up. The only way to control your dog 100% of the time is to keep it on a lead.

Reactions: MrChris and 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Very true Lead K9, I in camp , I even put Sadie on a 30 ft lead in camp just for that very reason, even though I have her off leash when hunting. Some of the guys I hunt with don't and I have seen a pack mad dash for a Jack that came too close to camp. Even though Sadie is attached to me like you wouldn't believe, if her friends " the other dogs" run after something she will too

Reactions: Lead K9

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Because of her aggression towards other dogs ( haven't figured out why) we only take her out when we are lone at a campsite...usually on BLM or NF, boondocking
Shame that you don't feel comfortable taking your dog along except when you are remote. If everyone kept better control of their dogs, strange dogs wouldn't be allowed anywhere near yours and your dog could learn others are safe when not in its immediate presence.

Many, many years ago, I had an Akita. He was a wonderful dog, but was an Akita. He did not tolerate strange dogs being close to him. He was very comfortable being walked or hiking near other dogs as long as they did not take interest in him. But I can't count the number of times other people felt it was okay for their dogs to run around like maniacs. And while many people think their dogs are friendly, my dogs may not see it the same way. Charging at a strange dog is not always a polite behavior. Dogs are like people. Some are great and others are obnoxious, usually reflecting their owners. :)

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MrChris

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

As someone who ties his dog up at camp 90% of the time, unfortunately there are not many situations where you can train a dog in a camp-like scenario outside of camp. I recently invested in a 30ft lead I can tie down somewhere so we can practice recalls without him running off. I have to play a little bit of catchup since I adopted my dog at over a year old and the previous owners didn't do much of any training.
Your welcome to join in on the 29th and do RimRocker with us

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Nice info on this post. thx! As for the question, I take our Belgian Malinois everywhere. We live by Yellowstone, so depending on what we may be doing in there, sometimes leave here at home. The Stone is not dog friendly. When my local fly shop sends me a fly fishing trip, I always ask the client ahead of time if its ok if I bring my dog with. Some folks just don't like dogs, so she stays home. If we are headed into remote grizzly bear country for some remote fishing, I pretty much insist on it for our safety. Just had a guy attacked near Three Lakes a few weeks back and he ended up killing the griz just before it lunged at him.
As a pup I trained her on cattle in the wild making a very big deal when we came across one. A cow kind of looks like a griz... right? So she is pretty messed up always looking for bears. She hits on moose and yes mooo cows. She is not allowed to go after them, just barks and grows letting us know. We go the other way when this happens. I think the big bell also helps as she bounces around making plenty of noise. Otherwise, as I bounce around the remote parts of the west looking for new places to fish, Orvis the dog is always with me. Thanks again for all the info within this post.
Our little cabin below the house down on the Wind River is always available for overlanders if your ever up Yellowstone way. I hide a key if I'm out overlanding. No charge. Just an email through my website and say you're a OB member. Trout Bumming.com

Attachments

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Zim
That's the problem. People won't put in the work to train the dogs, let them run loose and wild and they are all over the place but the owners think it's "cute". It's the excessive barking that annoys me. Because of the poor dog behavior, I won't go camping if there are quite a few dogs on that trip. I almost went on an outing but didn't. I dodged a bullet because there were 14 dogs on that camping trip. I would have driven back home had I gone.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I was just wondering is there a reason you don't take your dog's Overlanding or Camping with you?
If we do a family trip, we usually take our Shar-Pei. I pretty much never take her if I go solo.

We're the third owners, and she came with some baggage from the breeder and the previous owners.

Long story short, her breeder was a bit of a dummy and sold her to an old lady who couldn't handle her, then when she returned the dog, he just let her run around the farm with her mother and never socialized her at all. She was then bought by a lady who had a horrid little yappy dog that just viciously attacked my dog. We bought her off that lady.

End result is she's afraid of almost everyone, and absolutely hates/is terrified of riding in the car, although we've made a lot of progress with that.

She's also extremely territorial and does NOT like other dogs coming on her turf. She also has a crappy track record while on leash, although strangely she never has any dog aggression issues at dog parks.

She's actually a very sweet, loving dog and she's amazing with the kiddos, but unfortunately it just doesn't seem she's cut out to be an adventure dog.

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
If we do a family trip, we usually take our Shar-Pei. I pretty much never take her if I go solo.

We're the third owners, and she came with some baggage from the breeder and the previous owners.

Long story short, her breeder was a bit of a dummy and sold her to an old lady who couldn't handle her, then when she returned the dog, he just let her run around the farm with her mother and never socialized her at all. She was then bought by a lady who had a horrid little yappy dog that just viciously attacked my dog. We bought her off that lady.

End result is she's afraid of almost everyone, and absolutely hates/is terrified of riding in the car, although we've made a lot of progress with that.

She's also extremely territorial and does NOT like other dogs coming on her turf. She also has a crappy track record while on leash, although strangely she never has any dog aggression issues at dog parks.

She's actually a very sweet, loving dog and she's amazing with the kiddos, but unfortunately it just doesn't seem she's cut out to be an adventure dog.
My old, medium poodle is like that on leashes too

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Nice info on this post. thx! As for the question, I take our Belgian Malinois everywhere. We live by Yellowstone, so depending on what we may be doing in there, sometimes leave here at home. The Stone is not dog friendly. When my local fly shop sends me a fly fishing trip, I always ask the client ahead of time if its ok if I bring my dog with. Some folks just don't like dogs, so she stays home. If we are headed into remote grizzly bear country for some remote fishing, I pretty much insist on it for our safety. Just had a guy attacked near Three Lakes a few weeks back and he ended up killing the griz just before it lunged at him.
As a pup I trained her on cattle in the wild making a very big deal when we came across one. A cow kind of looks like a griz... right? So she is pretty messed up always looking for bears. She hits on moose and yes mooo cows. She is not allowed to go after them, just barks and grows letting us know. We go the other way when this happens. I think the big bell also helps as she bounces around making plenty of noise. Otherwise, as I bounce around the remote parts of the west looking for new places to fish, Orvis the dog is always with me. Thanks again for all the info within this post.
Our little cabin below the house down on the Wind River is always available for overlanders if your ever up Yellowstone way. I hide a key if I'm out overlanding. No charge. Just an email through my website and say you're a OB member. Trout Bumming.com
Too cool!