louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, i wonder how other (wild) animals interact with dogs.
we have a pit (Allie, which is short for "alligator" because of her jaws and teeth) that is extremely loving and friendly. the mail carrier pulls into our driveway and she runs over there licking and jumping in the mail jeep to get petted. also very protective. we have a large pond with an island in the middle in the back of the house. there was an alligator sunning itself on the island next to the bridge and was camoflauged in the grass. the wife didnt see it and was about to walk next to it when Allie saw it and went after it. the gator went in the water and Allie went in after it. i appreciate her being protective of the wife, but i was wondering if i was going to have to go in after her. after a lot of hollering, Allie quit her search and got back up on dry land. we definitely have her on a short leash out in public and especially at campgrounds. i wonder how a bear would act? im sure a bear would initially take off, but if a crazy pooch like a pit were to be able to chase after it, would the bear stop and attack? and like it has been said about animals staring other animals down. pits are quite stubborn and VERY focused and when they are being protective (just like a lot of other dog breeds) i think they could cause more problems by not backing off when they should.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Smart that you understand there are responsibilities with dog ownership, especially in public places. If more people thought like you, dogs would be permitted in most.

I don't agree with dogs being coyote food. A coyote would have to be diseased to challenge my dogs and me. Otherwise there is too much risk for a coyote to challenge a human and a dog or two (or more in the old days).

As for the bison attack, I believe bison, like many animals, see a staring game as a threat. It would be interesting to note how the hiker came within 300' of the animal, especially with a dog that should have alerted in some manner to the presence of another animal. I would argue a dog should have helped in this scenario by alerting to the danger, rather than causing the problem. But again, the article doesn't say much about just before the encounter.

As for dogs not belonging in the outdoors, didn't Lewis & Clark have a Newfoundland with them during their entire journey? Plenty of bison encountered there and I don't recall any charging them because of the dog.

Dogs are awesome, but they are definitely not people. They need to be socialized, trained, and taught expectations to different scenarios.
This was a Good Response - I don't see the dog as a Problem at least by what was written in the Article

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Lead K9

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

If a bear (or alligator) interprets yours dog's actions as a threat, it will defend itself. Most pet dogs don't have the proper training and conditioning to fight a bear. Lots of pet dogs develop a bully mentality. They race to the door or fence, the other moves away, and the pet thinks it's barking and physical threats chased the other away. They are often not prepared for the other animal to return the attack, especially if the bear feels its life is threatened. It is very likely a dog of any breed that is not accustom to bear encounters will run away from the bear after the bear retaliates. This may include the dog running back to its family and bringing an angry bear to its family.

Dogs are like people in that not all are suitable to keep their cools in stressful situations. As not everyone that joins the military is suitable for special operations, not all dogs (regardless of breed) are suitable for the tasks for which they are bred (if properly bred). Most German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois don't pass the muster as working dogs. The same is true for hunting dogs, whether bird dogs, hounds, or whatever. Just because a dog is a pitbull, doesn't mean it can do everything listed in the breed standard. A particular dog needs to be tested in that scenario. Its parents need to perform in that role, etc. Breeding is just a percentage game and very few hit that mark.

For example, the Siberian Husky at my feet is a terrible sled dog. He would rather be tracking than concentrating on pulling forward and keeping his line tight. Plus he was terribly socialized as a puppy (we got him as a rescue) and will often interfere with other dogs in the team when pulling. He has a lot of other great characteristics, but his breeder certainly didn't focus on sled dogs with him.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Looking for a good home for a retired k9.
Don't know if anyone is interested in a 7 year old Belgium Malinois police dog?
My brother in law is a k9 deputy by West Yellowstone, Montana and has recently had to retire early his working dog partner. The dog is still young in age for a working police dog but he has one problem that you would need to deal with.
Montana has legalized Marijuana and the dog hits on the weed and in the past was good at finding it. It's become a problem for the agency so they have taken him out of service and given him a new dog to work with that is not trained to hit on weed. As my bro in law says... half the state of Montana smokes pot now, so it's common place. So they are looking for a good home for him. Anyone interested can send me an email through my website in reference to this and I'll get back to you. Also know mals are alot of dog and need constant work and time. Also know this dog has been trained in bite work and tracking. Was thinking this post might be a good place to put this info up. Free well trained dog to good pre interviewed person. He would need to be picked up near West Yellowstone.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Looking for a good home for a retired k9.
Don't know if anyone is interested in a 7 year old Belgium Malinois police dog?
My brother in law is a k9 deputy by West Yellowstone, Montana and has recently had to retire early his working dog partner. The dog is still young in age for a working police dog but he has one problem that you would need to deal with.
Montana has legalized Marijuana and the dog hits on the weed and in the past was good at finding it. It's become a problem for the agency so they have taken him out of service and given him a new dog to work with that is not trained to hit on weed. As my bro in law says... half the state of Montana smokes pot now, so it's common place. So they are looking for a good home for him. Anyone interested can send me an email through my website in reference to this and I'll get back to you. Also know mals are alot of dog and need constant work and time. Also know this dog has been trained in bite work and tracking. Was thinking this post might be a good place to put this info up. Free well trained dog to good pre interviewed person. He would need to be picked up near West Yellowstone.
Good work trying to find a home for the K9 , but anyone taking this dog have to give it a new "job" Belgium s need some kind of job to keep them from becoming a problem .. That is from the K9 units that we are friends with. Working Dog is the title given to these animals, as long as they feel they are doing good they will be good dogs..

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Good work trying to find a home for the K9 , but anyone taking this dog have to give it a new "job" Belgium s need some kind of job to keep them from becoming a problem .. That is from the K9 units that we are friends with. Working Dog is the title given to these animals, as long as they feel they are doing good they will be good dogs..
There a HIGH ENERGY Dog - Very smart - Easy to train

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

There a HIGH ENERGY Dog - Very smart - Easy to train
Agree. Malinois are outstanding dogs, but you absolutely must be the BOSS when owning one of these, especially a retired police dog. They will need an owner who can be the alpha pack leader and who will give them "work" to do, and they'll be excellent companions, in my view, having known a couple of working Mal's in my previous job as a Private Security K9 handler.

Reactions: Joaquin Suave

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I think taking pets with u on trips is fun. But I think for these trips one needs to do extra packing and arrangements. And if you have good pet accessories then this can be easy for you.
We will get another dog when we are done traveling. It’s just too much hassle getting dog sitters or getting any animal across international borders. Hiking the Scottish highlands, touring Ireland, Viking Cruise through Germany, Alaska, Africa, Australia, Baja? Overlanding here in the 48? We’ve had Shepards and Aussies and I cannot imagine cooping one of them up in a vehicle for weeks on end.

Reactions: El-Dracho

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Crossing borders on land with dogs is not an issue. Mostly nobody gives a s..t. If they pick on you is not because of the dog. You are just the chosen one for that day, and if it is not the dog they would be picking on something else.
Getting them on a 10h transatlantic flight or something like that is another thing..
Car traveling with dogs.. depends on the dog type mostly. I got a lab, he does not care where he is as long as he is with us. Mostly he is sleeping.. so it is all fine, and we have a small backpack with his stuff ( some toys, different leash types, etc )
My problem is that I have a 2 person swag, not the biggest type of tent, and it gets crammed, it is pretty big at 40 kg, basically at top end of the normal size. He moves a lot at night to find a better spot, he is very picky.. :) , and he has the grace of a cow, stepping on us with no regard.. :)

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Crossing borders on land with dogs is not an issue. Mostly nobody gives a s..t. If they pick on you is not because of the dog. You are just the chosen one for that day, and if it is not the dog they would be picking on something else.
Getting them on a 10h transatlantic flight or something like that is another thing..
Car traveling with dogs.. depends on the dog type mostly. I got a lab, he does not care where he is as long as he is with us. Mostly he is sleeping.. so it is all fine, and we have a small backpack with his stuff ( some toys, different leash types, etc )
My problem is that I have a 2 person swag, not the biggest type of tent, and it gets crammed, it is pretty big at 40 kg, basically at top end of the normal size. He moves a lot at night to find a better spot, he is very picky.. :) , and he has the grace of a cow, stepping on us with no regard.. :)
In the EU it may not be difficult and it certainly is not difficult getting in and out of Canada here in the US, provided all of your paperwork, ie- health certificates, etc etc are in “perfect” order. Decades ago I transported show livestock and race horses in and out of Canada. If a T is not crossed perfectly or an I not dotted perfectly, count on waiting anywhere from 4-12 hours before you can get through. Even then, the animal may be quarantined. I’m not willing to take that risk. I’ve given crossing our borders with pets a bit of thought as I used to go in&out of Canada at least twice a week for about 15 years. I was once held up for 16 hours because the manifest did not identify that the corn starch used in wallpaper adhesive, was an agricultural product. Getting back into the US is even more stringent. I’m just not willing to take the risk.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We will get another dog when we are done traveling. It’s just too much hassle getting dog sitters or getting any animal across international borders. Hiking the Scottish highlands, touring Ireland, Viking Cruise through Germany, Alaska, Africa, Australia, Baja? Overlanding here in the 48? We’ve had Shepards and Aussies and I cannot imagine cooping one of them up in a vehicle for weeks on end.
I totally agree with that. Border crossings with a dog can be quite time-consuming and challenging, documents are often required, just like for people. And depending on the country of destination, this is by no means limited to the international pet passport. Partly, depending on the country of destination, official veterinary certificates are required, sometimes even translated into the local language. It becomes particularly challenging if there is a regulation that this must not be older than X days, for example. In addition, there are vaccinations, examinations and in some countries even quarantine regulations.

And what many do not think about is that often also on re-entry into the home country / the home region several regulations must be complied with. In Europe, for example, when re-entering the EU. There we speak for example - depending upon country coming from - of necessary vaccinations up to antibody proofs, blood tests, additional certiciations of the owner of the pet, registration of the pet with the customs ("red entrance") etc.

Many travelers prepare well for the entry into the foreign travel countries and then on the way home they do not think about regulations for re-entering. Of course, this affects not only the dog, but also other regulations and very quickly it can happen that one has committed a customs offense. A good example in Europe is the re-entry into the EU - which can be quite unpleasant if you forget that there are also regulations and that it is not just the journey home (pet, fuel, food, just to name a few examples).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and MOAK

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Things changed. Most of the US and EU paperwork is now recognized all over and between them.
Quarantine, some countries do it, like Australia, New Zeeland, but they area bit crazy. I just saw that you can't have veggies even between states inside Australia ( I can understand the fear a foreign dog might have a disease dangerous to the specific fauna there, but you can get a cabbage you got in Victoria inside Western Australia, it is hilarious.. :) ) . New Zeeland even banned their own citizens, just like Australia for a while.... so you can imagine the tolerance they have for dogs or other stuff
But this are rather extreme examples..

Not all countries in Europe are inside EU. While traveling with a dog inside Eu is not a a problem, I went outside Eu as well, and had no issues. I had the paperwork prepared, but nobody even asked for it.
And I know many people who travel from here towards, Asia and Africa, no issues. Mostly they require a vaccination history and recent rabbies shot, but actually most don't even ask or bother to look at the paper work..
With horses I don't know... might be different..

AT4OB

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Selden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTS423
Service Branch
Army
So far we have taken our Husky/Shepherd mix on every trip. Space was kind of an issue on our week long trip through VA, NC and FL but we made it work.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

In the EU it may not be difficult and it certainly is not difficult getting in and out of Canada here in the US, provided all of your paperwork, ie- health certificates, etc etc are in “perfect” order. Decades ago I transported show livestock and race horses in and out of Canada. If a T is not crossed perfectly or an I not dotted perfectly, count on waiting anywhere from 4-12 hours before you can get through. Even then, the animal may be quarantined. I’m not willing to take that risk. I’ve given crossing our borders with pets a bit of thought as I used to go in&out of Canada at least twice a week for about 15 years. I was once held up for 16 hours because the manifest did not identify that the corn starch used in wallpaper adhesive, was an agricultural product. Getting back into the US is even more stringent. I’m just not willing to take the risk.
Horses and other animals are a bit trickier, but I can tell you with significant authority that dogs and cats are basically zero issue, even if you don't have your Rabies vaccine certificate, although you're supposed to have it. That is all you need for dogs and cats.
I should specify this is speaking of Canada and the US.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes, & as far as quarantining, I’ve witnessed dogs being separated from their families and being quarantined getting back into the US. Mothers angry, kids dumbstruck, fathers being sheepish, not knowing what to do. Some one said quarentining happens in New Zealand or OZ, here too if the paperwork isn’t proper.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I usually leave my dog with my inlaws. She just doesn't enjoy it. She used to ride shotgun in my jeep but she can't get into it anymore, she can hardly see, and the bug in the woods love to eat her which makes her face swell up like a balloon.
She gets treated well at the inlaws. I wish she could come along but it's just not in the cards.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Yes, & as far as quarantining, I’ve witnessed dogs being separated from their families and being quarantined getting back into the US. Mothers angry, kids dumbstruck, fathers being sheepish, not knowing what to do. Some one said quarentining happens in New Zealand or OZ, here too if the paperwork isn’t proper.
That's pretty weird. I've been a border officer on the Canada side for 15 years, about 6.5 of those at a land crossing, and I've never heard of that happening.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That's pretty weird. I've been a border officer on the Canada side for 15 years, about 6.5 of those at a land crossing, and I've never heard of that happening.
Ya, you guys were always polite and very cool, no anger issues at all and always willing to engage in a personable way to help solve a problem. US border guys- not so much, at all. This happened at the old Thousand Isle crossing, Jeeze, pre 9-11.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ya, you guys were always polite and very cool, no anger issues at all and always willing to engage in a personable way to help solve a problem. US border guys- not so much, at all. This happened at the old Thousand Isle crossing, Jeeze, pre 9-11.
There's always that one guy, honestly. You probably got the "Private Pyle" of the bunch. I would think that situation was the exception as far as dogs and cats go, the requirement is just a valid rabies certificate on both sides as far as I know, and the handful of times I took my dog to the USA they didn't even ask for it.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MOAK