First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I do not have a dog, but every morning at breakfast when I am out with my local rover group I have many. Apparently bacon is an excellent dog attractant, even if they can not have any.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I do not have a dog, but every morning at breakfast when I am out with my local rover group I have many. Apparently bacon is an excellent dog attractant, even if they can not have any.
Bacon is an attraction, for sure!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I love dogs but I feel like taking them on trips is like taking small children. They can't feed themselves, they require constant looking after to make sure they don't wind up somewhere they shouldn't be or lost, and it kind of sucks the fun out of traveling for me. However, if you bring a dog I will probably spend more time interacting with it than people, lol.

My friends dog from this past weekend in the Ouachitas. Every time we stopped for some reason, he would sit in the driver's seat and stare out the windshield.

Attachments

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

I love dogs but I feel like taking them on trips is like taking small children. They can't feed themselves, they require constant looking after to make sure they don't wind up somewhere they shouldn't be or lost, and it kind of sucks the fun out of traveling for me. However, if you bring a dog I will probably spend more time interacting with it than people, lol.

My friends dog from this past weekend in the Ouachitas. Every time we stopped for some reason, he would sit in the driver's seat and stare out the windshield.
You're not wrong. We go evvvvvvvvvvvvverywhere with our 11.5-yo Malinois, and 4.5-yo Dutch Shepherd. And, for the next 8-10 years, likely won't be traveling outside of North America...limited to driving. Our Dutchy (the all-to-aptly named Havoc) had a troubled youth that produced a neurotic jackwagon with severe separation anxiety. The mere thought of kenneling him makes ME break out in hives and a nervous sweat. So we're adjusting. Greenland, Iceland, and lands far away will just have to wait. While I love our dogs more than but a few beings on this planet (and even then it depends on the day), I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a tinge of resentment at times. Sure my wife or I can bounce and leave the dogs with the other, but I'd kinda like to experience things with my girl of 30 years. National Parks? Have fun driving through them (with rare exception you can't hike with dogs) or running to go take a quick look at Devil's Tower while the AC is blasting away. Difficult trails with a lot of climbing/difficult scrambling/exposure? Nope...not worth the risk. Being able to jump out and spend hours at a roadside museum/attraction? Not unless the weather is conducive. There's also the social issues. When meeting new folks, you'll be "welcome" into the circle in short order, but if there are other dogs involved? Nope. Hard nope.

I've ALWAYS had dogs since birth. Always said I'd never be without one. But...yeah...once Alexa leaves us (hopefully not for a few years), Havoc will be a loaner. After he's gone? We're taking a break for a year or two. Maybe we'll be that cliche in our mid-50s and vanlife it for a year to see all the parks. But New Zealand, Oz, Greenland (hopefully it's not, literally, green by then), Iceland, Ireland, and African safaris await.

Yet at the same time there's the comic relief and "excuse" to stop at lakes and rivers to let Havoc swim...and swim...and swim...puke up some water...and swim... Sure would be nice if THEY made ME breakfast once and a while, though. Ungrateful punks. :smirk:

Routt NF south of Steamboat. Havoc prefers squishing up against a tire (if he doesn't burrow under the truck). It's all well and good...until the tires are covered in mud.
IMG_9066.JPG

Amazing spot on the Flathead River north of Polebridge, MT looking into Glacier NP.
IMG_9986.JPG

"Ball iz lyf!" Lunch stop....uhhhhhhhhh...somewhere on our way to Devil's Tower (too lazy to break out GAIA and look).
IMG_5343.jpg

"Scooz me. I likez pancakez wif bacon."
IMG_5397.jpg

Pre-warming my wife's sleeping bag in the RTT on a chilly night in Vermont on the way home from Maine two years ago.
242466558_4746935168651276_5681557161105534414_n_4746935151984611.jpg

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army

This is a degree of honesty that I wish more dog owners had.
Too many people bring there dogs along with no medical supplies, poor water, poor shelter/ sleeping options for the pup, and unfortunately little to no basic recall/ training
Too many times I’ve been out camping and had to put my dog back in the rig because some random off leash dog came up looking for trouble while owner is several hundred feet away trying to assure me that “they are usually really friendly” or outright asking me to grab their dog because they bolted after some wildlife

If only there was some sort of invention that kept a dog 6-10 feet from the owners

• Haha
Reactions: K9LTW and rgallant

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
My wife is a retired veterinarian and she has had to work on, and in extreme cases euthanize dogs because they were in the front seat during an accident, even a small one, when the passenger airbag went off injuring the dog. Please either turn off the passenger side airbag or back seat only your friend.
I only camp where I can take my dog.

Reactions: Tommys and K9LTW