Does your dog wander off at camp?

• HTML tutorial

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

Usually when we camp for the light we let the dog roam free, but occasionally we will get a scare when we cant see him. the best solution we have found to date (other than tying him up) is using a headlamp with a red led light over his collar. it gives him some light to see where he is going and we can always tell where he is.

what do you guys do?

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Our old corgi always stays near us, never roams out of sight but we keep an eye on him and use a lighted collar. Since he is a herding dog, he stays close, but I often keep him on a leash if it getting dark and we are around the campfire. At night he stays in the tent with us, but he is only 25 lbs, so doesn’t take up much room.

jacobconroy75

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Montana
We bought three of these sleeping bags and trained the puppy that she sleeps there. One in our bedroom, one in our living room, and one for camping. Each has a dog bed inside.

When it starts to get dark at camp, we simply lie down the bag with the mouth open and she goes inside to sleep. Stays there for hours until I take her into the camper (inside of the bed). It takes a bit of training work, but we never need to worry about where she is after dark.

Also, if she starts wandering during the day (and generally being a pain) we just tell her "lie down" and she will lay on top of the sleeping bag. It's good for the dog to know where it's place is....no matter where you are. :yum:

We were using a lighted collar until I stumbled on this method.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Yes! our dog wanders so we bought a collar light for her, we specifically got ours at REI and I and I am sure they sell them elsewhere its RuffWear I think. It just slides onto the existing collar and has a couple settings(the light is green) a solid mode, slow blinking and fast blinking. We find it works really well so we can have an idea where she is in the dark.

Reactions: Pick Teej