Do you really need lockers for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
IMO the answer will vary as widely as the modern/recent definition of overlanding itself.

I'll say that in many (most/all?) of my global vehicle travels (Expeditions7 & ExpeditionOverland), a rear locker minimum has not only been useful but arguably mandatory. I can think of a variety of scenarios where a winch simply wouldn't have been a suitable replacement for at minimum the rear locker. I'd argue that ATRAC or similar is a decent substitute worthy of discussion and likely suitable for most common "overland" routes.

Reactions: shoredreamer

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Do you have traction control? The traction control that is coming on newer vehicles seams to be very capable.
FJ has factory electronic locker for the rear. I rarely even use that. A-trac traction control as well.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Hi @Michael1929 . All the info and opinions are great from everyone, here is my .02 cents... No you don't need a locker for over-landing. I think the reality of the question is does one need a locker to control wheel spin and speed to clear an obstacle, then yes. Wheel spin means RPM and Torque and that means I would break sh-t because my FJ is IFS and that's what they do unless you go slow (and yes I'm Mr slow). Because your truck is solid axle you keep your feet on the ground better as long as your suspension allows for the flex, that brings in more things to consider. If ones suspension does not flex/or to stiff to keep your feet on the ground, a locker either rear or front will help beyond belief. If I had your truck what would I do (solid axle)? Ensure my suspension is flexing and moving around enough to keep feet on the ground and know what that limit is and if it's not find out what it needs to do so. Then how slow can I go to keep RPM and torque low enough (sweet pot) if not then gears/lockers are next, and if $$$ are not there wait and do it all at once.
OK, so my FJ is on it's 3rd set of coil overs/shocks and springs. And many more $$$ in other suspension mods (7 yrs and 109k mi) It does well but the list going forward is long. Personally I will long-travel the FJ similar to @Mademan925 Taco in the future after winning the LOTTO.
I hope you will be at the Sac meetup tonight, Ask me about my plan for my truck and my dilemma!!!!

Reactions: aearles and O.Dfj

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Probably the same thing everyone else has said just in a different way.

Lockers are a tool the same as a winch, lift kit, offroad tires, sliders or high clearance bumpers. With each tool that gets added to your kit you are able to increase the difficulty of areas that are available for you to explore. The reality is that there are more opportunities out there than you could possibly do in a lifetime even in a stock vehicle. Just depends on what you want to do.

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

Totally depends on what kind of over landing you do. If you plan on being in areas with low traction and or boulders then yes I would recommend a rear locker if you can afford it. 90% of the time 4wd is probably enough. But if you keep putting yourself in situations where your getting stuck then yes I would look into a locker. Like others have said its just a tool. Just like a winch, traction boards, shovel, chains.... Even when you add a locker you may still find yourself stuck one day.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections