Do you really need lockers for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I'm trying to make a decision on whether I really need lockers for Overlanding.
I recently went on a trip with @O.Dfj and he had a locker in his fj and I have nothing in my 2 Gen Toyota. I went every where he went.
I know I need to change my gears but it's a struggle to afford both.
What's your thoughts?

Reactions: O.Dfj

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I think it's definitely a nice thing to have but certainly not necessary. If the situation were to arrise they would keep you going compared to not having them. As a result only slowing you down because of a winch/pull moment. Admittedly there are situations where having them would be safer but now we're getting into knowing your rig and recognizing the danger. Don't forget that there are people who overland in 2wd vehicles and that you can always add later or just do the rear now. If you're getting where you need to go without issue now, you have the luxury of time.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

A locker will allow you to go slower over obstacles which is easier on your vehicle and the environment. Needed? not always. Helpful? yes.

With that said, If I was spending money regearing, I would make all attempts to add a locker(s). But, on the flip side, adding lockers will add $$$ to the install.

With that said, I would put lockers over many other items a person could add to their vehicle.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I have a locking tush on my 4Runner and I've never used it - I haven't had to - but it's a nice feature to have because you just never know what kind of mess you'll get into.

I was out on my property in Vermont last year and there was a considerable amount of snow on the ground. I ended up getting out into this bowl where the snow was about 8-10" deeper and I thought I was done for.
I considered locking my rear - as a last resort - but never ended up needing it.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I'm trying to make a decision on whether I really need lockers for Overlanding.
I recently went on a trip with @O.Dfj and he had a locker in his fj and I have nothing in my 2 Gen Toyota. I went every where he went.
I know I need to change my gears but it's a struggle to afford both.
What's your thoughts?
You dont need a locker but it makes it easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaggedViking

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I don't think so. I haven't used mine in the course of overloading. Only rock crawling, and I don't do much of that. I think the advantage you have with wheelbase on your truck will get you over most obstacles. I've seen those Toyotas do a whole hell of a lot with open diffs. If you want to do 4x4 stuff, then yes. It's absolutely necessary for real 4 wheeling. But for overloading, at least my definition of it, you can get by with a strap and a dude in a green FJ. (that sounds kinda kinky doesn't it.)

-M

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

I think it depends where you are offroading... For me, in the center of Mexico, there is a lot of rockcrawling and I need them (actually bought them yesterday)... I have been in many places that it would have been easier to get out if I had them.

If you go out by yourself I would highly recommend to have at least rear locker, why? because sometimes your own equipment is not enough, or you don't have a place to hook yourself and get out with a winch and having traction with all the wheels is going to help a lot!

That's my opinion, everyone will talk depending their own experiences...

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

In my experience it has more to do with the terrain. Articulation, inclination, and mud/snow seem to drive my use of the lockers. But if I didn't have a two speed transfer case I'd focus on the gears above the lockers. Although doing ether is a great opportunity for the other.

Being able to drive in a controlled manner (think road speed and rpm/torque) makes it much easier to not have lockers. Recovery equipment should be first. It will help you learn and overcome "deficiencies" in your rig. Cause let's face it, A cum a long, hi lift jack, and some chain/ strap can get nearly anything around with time.

Reactions: Toyotadirtdevil

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Ya, what others have said. Totally depends on what you are going to do. Simple answer is no. Given that many overland in 2wd cars and stay on highways, that's not needed. I love my lockers, but do not engage them often. I don't need to. I'd get a winch before lockers which is a generally versatile tool that will get you out of most situations, its just more cumbersome.

My .02

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
A locker will allow you to go slower over obstacles which is easier on your vehicle and the environment. Needed? not always. Helpful? yes.

With that said, If I was spending money regearing, I would make all attempts to add a locker(s). But, on the flip side, adding lockers will add $$$ to the install.

With that said, I would put lockers over many other items a person could add to their vehicle.
^^^This

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
In my experience it has more to do with the terrain. Articulation, inclination, and mud/snow seem to drive my use of the lockers. But if I didn't have a two speed transfer case I'd focus on the gears above the lockers. Although doing ether is a great opportunity for the other.

Being able to drive in a controlled manner (think road speed and rpm/torque) makes it much easier to not have lockers. Recovery equipment should be first. It will help you learn and overcome "deficiencies" in your rig. Cause let's face it, A cum a long, hi lift jack, and some chain/ strap can get nearly anything around with time.
^^^ This too

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
No one neeeeeeeds a locker (from the guy who is locked fore and aft).

1. If you are okay with getting over/through obstacles by shear force / power / hammering it, you don't need a locker.
  2. If you rarely encounter terrain in point 1, by choice or chance, you don't need a locker.
  3. If you are well equipped with recovery gear and comfortable with it, you don't need a locker.
Or
  1. If you are the individual that is the constant source of loiter time in the group due to having to 'hammer it' 8 times to get past one obstacle, you are encountering terrain regularly enough to consider getting a locker.
  2. If it constantly takes you more than one try to get past obstacles on the sort of terrain you prefer (think Tread Lightly here) consider getting a locker.
  3. If you are re gearing due to tire size, this is admitting you are going after the more advanced stuff, consider a locker.........as financially painful as that sounds. Save up the money. Do both at the same time (rear locker and both axles). Those larger tires are going to be a longer lever to hold the side with traction which exacerbates an open differential situation.

Tread Lightly.

At the end of the day I like to turn to my wife and cackle like a maniac in proclaiming that we didn't even Spin A Tire Once.

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

No one neeeeeeeds a locker (from the guy who is locked fore and aft).

1. If you are okay with getting over/through obstacles by shear force / power / hammering it, you don't need a locker.
  2. If you rarely encounter terrain in point 1, by choice or chance, you don't need a locker.
  3. If you are well equipped with recovery gear and comfortable with it, you don't need a locker.
Or
  1. If you are the individual that is the constant source of loiter time in the group due to having to 'hammer it' 8 times to get past one obstacle, you are encountering terrain regularly enough to consider getting a locker.
  2. If it constantly takes you more than one try to get past obstacles on the sort of terrain you prefer (think Tread Lightly here) consider getting a locker.
  3. If you are re gearing due to tire size, this is admitting you are going after the more advanced stuff, consider a locker.........as financially painful as that sounds. Save up the money. Do both at the same time (rear locker and both axles). Those larger tires are going to be a longer lever to hold the side with traction which exacerbates an open differential situation.

Tread Lightly.

At the end of the day I like to turn to my wife and cackle like a maniac in proclaiming that we didn't even Spin A Tire Once.
My wife and I had the exact conversation. But I think the awesomeness of the comment was lost on her. Lol. Bad enough she is slowly realizing her daily driver is becoming my weekend warrior.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
My wife and I had the exact conversation. But I think the awesomeness of the comment was lost on her. Lol. Bad enough she is slowly realizing her daily driver is becoming my weekend warrior.
The first step is admitting you have a problem..........

:laughing:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I added 33" tires to my FJ. I would like to re-gear it. I won't be adding a locker to the front. What Toyota provides is good enough for me. Your mileage may vary. I'm 3 years into off-roading and Overlanding with this vehicle of that means anything.

Reactions: Toyotadirtdevil

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I added 33" tires to my FJ. I would like to re-gear it. I won't be adding a locker to the front. What Toyota provides is good enough for me. Your mileage may vary. I'm 3 years into off-roading and Overlanding with this vehicle of that means anything.
Do you have traction control? The traction control that is coming on newer vehicles seams to be very capable.

Reactions: VDawg1115

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Agree with what's been said by everyone here.

I'd only add that I am a terrible planner and always end up in rougher situations than I expected. Even if you're only planning to "overland", it often ends up turning into wheelin' instead of turning around.

I'm locked front and rear. It's pretty great watching the guy in front of you spin and squawk up an obstacle and then just rolling through it without any drama. I'm not super experienced, the truck just makes things easy.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Had to sit behind a 4Runner at Hollister Hills last week while they tried about 6 different lines, all in vain, at a simple rock garden. Spraying small rocks and chunks of rubber everywhere. On their sixth attempt they got out and started stacking rocks. (They probably wouldn't have had to were it not for shitty tires at street pressure)

Me and my buddy, already locked, nonchalantly rolled past them and proceeded up the garden barely turning a rock over. Thru my sliding rear window I heard "look, all their tires are flat!"

Lockers rule the trails and save equipment.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Guess it depends on your definition of Overlanding, which in turn is rooted in what you do and what you want to be able to do with your vehicle. In many ways, you are what you drive. And sometimes your rig determines how you choose to travel. A la, if you have lockers, you seek out challenging terrain.

My 80 was born with lockers so it never was a choice or a decision but I've used them a ton of times either out of necessity or to help ease my heavy pig over rocks, thru snow drifts or up some steep loose hill. It's one more tool for preparedness. I've used my lockers many many more times than I have my winch.