Do you really need heated seats and remote start?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43520
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I fail to see the appeal of going the same speed as the car in front of me, if he's slow I pass, if he's fast the man can talk to him on the side of the road instead of me.
How I wish that were the case in the area where I live. Most often the passing lane is blocked and you are left with no choice other to settle in with the crowd at their chosen speed - ACC makes that a tad less frustrating.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

How I wish that were the case in the area where I live. Most often the passing lane is blocked and you are left with no choice other to settle in with the crowd at their chosen speed - ACC makes that a tad less frustrating.
I am admittedly "hive averse" and as a result do not find myself in those circumstances, I can however see where the magic carpet could be useful under those circumstances, particularly when reloading.

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I am admittedly "hive averse" and as a result do not find myself in those circumstances, I can however see where the magic carpet could be useful under those circumstances, particularly when reloading.
So am I, brother, so am I... Dreaming of our escape ;)

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The short answer to the OP’s original question? No. Long answer? long ago I had heated seats in a fancy euro sedan. I don’t miss them. It just doesn’t get that cold around here to justify them again. I had ACC in the last 18 wheeler I drove. I f do I’d not like it, at all. I use cruise control all the time and was constantly overriding the adaptive to maintain momentum. If the Jeep comes with regular old fashioned cruise control, I’d consider that a necessity for us. Our TJ didn’t have CC and being a cruiser head, I wished that it had. Remote start would be nice if in an extreme cold weather climate, or after an ice storm.

U

UgotWheelz

You mean your state gets passing lanes; we have two tracks of pot hole patches thats it!

• Haha

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
One other note. Do not underestimate the value of heated seats when you are cruising around with the top off if it is a bit chilly!
Going to second this, I love my aftermarket heated seats when I have my top and doors off especially during summer nights.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I fail to see the appeal of going the same speed as the car in front of me, if he's slow I pass, if he's fast the man can talk to him on the side of the road instead of me.
I guess it depends on the routes you take. Crossing the Nullarbor, covering long distances on the Atlantic Coast of Patagonia south of Valdes, or travelling on any other long road with little traffic, having cruise control is far more comfortable than having to maintain your speed "manually" for hours (or days).

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I guess it depends on the routes you take. Crossing the Nullarbor, covering long distances on the Atlantic Coast of Patagonia south of Valdes, or travelling on any other long road with little traffic, having cruise control is far more comfortable than having to maintain your speed "manually" for hours (or days).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a former prototype driver, where you spent 10 hour shifts behind the wheel, Cruise control was a welcome option. It is so easy to either slow down or creep above your dictated speed. Especially where slight descending inclines would cause a higher than wanted speeds over posted restrictions, Aka......75 mph, but with a very gradual grade, you could be doing 83 mph without realizing it. Some might think it is easy to maintain a set speed by your foot, but doing so mile over mile, hour after hour is not. You find your eyes to often looking below the dash line at your speedometer, instead of out the windshield. This is out west, with long stretches of fairly straight roads occur. So it becomes a safety issue, and not just a legal one.. Most rural state or interstate roads are 70 or 80 mph in NV, AZ, Also realize this, on a 10 hour shift, on a set route, crossing county and state borders, you were expected to maintain an average speed that allowed you to complete, and at shift end, hand off the vehicle to the next shift as these were prototype vehicles doing durability testing and they were wired with a complete sensor package array. Also speeding was severely discouraged, so for employment reasons/issues , that cruise control button made life much easier when it was not disabled. Yah, the engineers did do that depending on the car and test parameters.

Concerning adaptive cruise, we were testing it 3 years before it started becoming available. Think Mercedes and Porsche. For the open highway it was nice,. For freeway use....uh not as much, as depending on the space you set, some idiot would squeeze in front of you, causing your car to suddenly brake, and risk being rear-ended by the car behind not paying attention. A short coming on adaptive cruise in city use, is say your following someone, your cruise is set at 30 feet behind the car in front of you, your doing 45mph and they make a sharp right turn. That car clearing your front cruises sensors, will automatically cause yor car to speed up to your set speed. If that car has done it slowly, you risk 'cliping' it because of it being slow to completly clear your lane, and your car automatically speeding up to your set speed. We had a few close calls as they worked the bugs out, from a engineering aspect. I never trusted the system completely . It was one of those things you could get to used to, and be caught flatfooted given certain conditions, As some on this thread stated, I prefer the older cruise control (on/off) vs adaptive, given a choice.

Reactions: Alanymarce

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

"Little traffic" fully negates adaptive cruise control.

I use cruise control all the time, adaptive cruise control adjusts your speed contingent on what the vehicle in front of you is doing.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
"Little traffic" fully negates adaptive cruise control.

I use cruise control all the time, adaptive cruise control adjusts your speed contingent on what the vehicle in front of you is doing.
Maybe I don't understand what "adaptive cruise control" is however when I've rented vehicles which I understand to have had this, I found that it worked fairly well most of the time - when traffic built up and slowed, sometimes to a stop, the system reduced my vehicle's speed progressively, right down to a stop if necessary, and increased it again (with a tap on the throttle pedal when having come to a complete stop) to my set speed. In conditions with no traffic the system worked fine - simply holding the set speed. This worked well as long as the traffic was behaving sensibly. As Desert Runner notes, if someone cuts in the system brakes more abruptly. I never had a problem, however I was always alert and ready to override the system; I never really reached the point of trusting the system completely, although haven't driven vehicles with the system a lot.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I use the basic crusie control in my Jeep JL and I find it useful in reducing fatigue over long highway streaches. Can anyone here with the adaptive cruise control on the Jeep JL or JT comment on how well it actually works? I have found that ”smart” functionality on my Jeep is poorly done whether it is the climate control system or ESS, etc. and that adaptive cruise control in another brand may very well be a different experiece vs. the current generation of Jeeps.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I use the basic crusie control in my Jeep JL and I find it useful in reducing fatigue over long highway streaches. Can anyone here with the adaptive cruise control on the Jeep JL or JT comment on how well it actually works? I have found that ”smart” functionality on my Jeep is poorly done whether it is the climate control system or ESS, etc. and that adaptive cruise control in another brand may very well be a different experiece vs. the current generation of Jeeps.
I have very little experience with ACC but it works "fine" IMO. That said it makes me a bit nervous handing over that much control to the computron but I do like it a lot in certain situations. What I don't like
- I wish it had one more further out following distance; furthest feels a bit close and hectic
- If someone cuts in front of you it will brake to avoid them, a lot of times its a bit "brake happy" and would be fine just being a little mellower
- I set mine faster than traffic in front of me so I will speed up if they get out of the way, sometimes going around a bend it loses track of the car in front and speeds up at the worst moment.
- On long downhill stretches it will brake for you, don't like that at all and turn it off. I'd rather manage brakes vs. compression braking myself

Because I live in an area seemingly filled with grandmothers/intolerants who own the left lane and cause traffic constipation I love that I can set it and it will slow down for me if I come up on slower traffic. Does great on all but the curviest of roads and I don't bother with it in really heavy/slow traffic. I like it for cruising; helps "mix it up" a bit and reduces the work load. It also seems to do a great job not braking if someone passes and pulls in front of you, seems like it knows they are pulling away and not a threat so it just stays mellow. I want to say that Jeep uses the Bosch ACC system but cannot back that up; heard it somewhere.

I dislike playing with the speed up/down buttons trying to match the slow car in fronts speed and usually end up just turning regular CC off in traffic. ACC expands the window of opportunity for me so I like it and would buy it again.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have very little experience with ACC but it works "fine" IMO. That said it makes me a bit nervous handing over that much control to the computron but I do like it a lot in certain situations. What I don't like
- I wish it had one more further out following distance; furthest feels a bit close and hectic
- If someone cuts in front of you it will brake to avoid them, a lot of times its a bit "brake happy" and would be fine just being a little mellower

I don't have much experience with ACC on my Ram but I set it for the closest following when on a multi-lane freeway. It makes it less "brake happy" and touchy when someone cuts in front of me. I can slow it down at a more reasonable pace than what the ACC wants to do. I adjust my following distance with the speed up/down button. Definitely not a perfect system.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
Nothing beats leather heated seats. They saved me once from a great deal of pain. I threw my back out one time with a five hour drive ahead of me. Unavoidable. The heated seats kept me limber enough to be able to get out of the car at least once so I didn't soil myself. Then again when I arrived home so I could walk. Spent the following week plus in bed after that. Wouldn't go without heated seats again.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Nothing beats leather heated seats. They saved me once from a great deal of pain. I threw my back out one time with a five hour drive ahead of me. Unavoidable. The heated seats kept me limber enough to be able to get out of the car at least once so I didn't soil myself. Then again when I arrived home so I could walk. Spent the following week plus in bed after that. Wouldn't go without heated seats again.
When my back is acting up a good drive with the heated seats definitely helps

I have decided to go ahead and get the heated seats and steering wheel, and not get the adaptive cruise control and all the other safety sensor stuff that comes with that package. Thanks for everyone's input and advice! My new Wrangler Rubicon 4xe has been ordered and now I impatiently wait for it to be built and delivered! lol

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I have decided to go ahead and get the heated seats and steering wheel, and not get the adaptive cruise control and all the other safety sensor stuff that comes with that package. Thanks for everyone's input and advice! My new Wrangler Rubicon 4xe has been ordered and now I impatiently wait for it to be built and delivered! lol
Congrats on your new jeep!! Please post pictures when you get it!