Do you really need heated seats and remote start?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43520
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Not a jeep owner, but I love adaptive cruise control. I too, never thought I needed it. Now that I have it, I love it. It is a safety feature.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I grew up in the 70's, in New England and upstate New York without all that stuff. Real winter, compared to anything south of the Mason-Dixon line. Although many cars had a/c, ours never did.

To me, personally, a heated steering wheel is a bit much. Unneeded.

I never thought I would buy a vehicle with heated leather seats, even. That was until I was buying a truck 2 years ago, and I was trying to decide between a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with cloth seats, and the 2014 GMC Sierra with heated leather.

My girlfriend basically stood between them, cocked her head towards the 2013 with cloth seats and said "I'm not getting in that one." That almost sealed the deal for buying the 2013!

But I said, eh, it's a grand or two difference. I bought the one with heated leather.

I would say I am happy with remote start, remote entry, and heated leather seats. Very helpful in the winters here

Reactions: Desert Runner

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
To me, personally, a heated steering wheel is a bit much. Unneeded.
Maybe, but when your hands are painful when cold it makes a real difference. I laughed at having a heated steering wheel and swore I would not use it - during the summer. When winter set in the heated steering wheel became the best feature in my truck.
Look at me - I'm a victim. Hahaha

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

If cloth seats, no need for heat in the southern states. Leather, maybe.
Remote start, not if garage kept.
Adaptive Cruise, I personally hate it. I hate all driver interference "Aids".

Don't forget, if all you want is heated seats, they can be added aftermarket. (probably for less money)

Reactions: Road and Ubiety

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Maybe, but when your hands are painful when cold it makes a real difference. I laughed at having a heated steering wheel and swore I would not use it - during the summer. When winter set in the heated steering wheel became the best feature in my truck.
Look at me - I'm a victim. Hahaha
Not accounting for medical conditions that can be lessened by these types of features. Oh, and I'm not even saying that people shouldn't have them UNLESS they have medical conditions. I'm just saying for me.

Then again, I got a 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 Double cab with heated leather seats for 10 or 12 grand less than the lowest price 2019 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss Custom, which was very bare bones inside. I was looking for custom because I like bear bones. But paying less and getting more features appealed to me too

U

UgotWheelz

I preface this with: not a jeep owner, never driven one, have played in the sand in one as a passenger. I grew up with cars that had rollup windows in a time when a tablet was something you wrote notes on with a pencil and it was made of paper. I drove and raced full manual and fully mechanical vehicles for 30 years; I never had any problem surviving and getting anywhere I needed to go without all the modern technology. My last 3 Fords all had some technology the BroncoSport has allot, I have it all turned off and the only thing I uses is the heated seats and steering wheel on cold Oregon nights because I don't dress appropriately for my climate. I drove a 1972 FWD imported rally car with fixed non-adjustable seats around for 15 years that did not even have a heater or windshield defroster never had any issues doing anything I needed to do. Now allot of that tech can be installed on a base model rig by the aftermarket like heated seats and steering wheel, power windows and door locks, backup and trail cameras, the list is endless talk to your local car audio and accessorizes dealer see what the price is compared to groups of tech offered by the factory in new cars. Good luck go play outside!

Reactions: Road

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not a jeep owner, but I love adaptive cruise control. I too, never thought I needed it. Now that I have it, I love it. It is a safety feature.
Dont get me wrong - um glad you like it. I have a hard time chewing on Adaptive Cruise as a safety feature. Is regular cruise considered a safety feature? No, it isnt. Its s convenience. So is adaptive. The driver should always have control of the car, even if we seem to be moving from a "doing" culture to a "supervising" culture. Maybe they sell it as a safety feature because it incorperates emergency braking, but that is only one part of it. The braking itself, to me, is the safety feature.

Splitting hairs? Maybe. I dont know

Reactions: Road and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Dont get me wrong - um glad you like it. I have a hard time chewing on Adaptive Cruise as a safety feature. Is regular cruise considered a safety feature? No, it isnt. Its s convenience. So is adaptive. The driver should always have control of the car, even if we seem to be moving from a "doing" culture to a "supervising" culture. Maybe they sell it as a safety feature because it incorperates emergency braking, but that is only one part of it. The braking itself, to me, is the safety feature.

Splitting hairs? Maybe. I dont know
No worries, I realized that your heated steering wheel comment was about your desires, just pointing out that something as silly as that can be huge for someone else. I thought it was silly until I realized what a difference it made for me.

It’s the braking part of ACC that scares me. I keep waiting for it to get confused and slam the brakes on. But I do like it for long trips because I am a cruise control user and it is better than plain cruise control. Less fiddling with the buttons, let it match the speed of the car I’m stuck behind. Don’t always use CC but it’s a nice break and helps mix it up on long road trips.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

No worries, I realized that your heated steering wheel comment was about your desires, just pointing out that something as silly as that can be huge for someone else. I thought it was silly until I realized what a difference it made for me.

It’s the braking part of ACC that scares me. I keep waiting for it to get confused and slam the brakes on. But I do like it for long trips because I am a cruise control user and it is better than plain cruise control. Less fiddling with the buttons, let it match the speed of the car I’m stuck behind. Don’t always use CC but it’s a nice break and helps mix it up on long road trips.
I use cruise much more now than I used to. So much better fuel economy. It us cool how adaptive cruise can match the speed of the car in front, I agree. The way i am, I'll probably try it 10 years from now and say "dang! I've been missing this all these years?!"

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I use cruise much more now than I used to. So much better fuel economy. It us cool how adaptive cruise can match the speed of the car in front, I agree. The way i am, I'll probably try it 10 years from now and say "dang! I've been missing this all these years?!"
Had ACC in a rental on a business trip and fell in love. No button pushing to try to match speed of car in front of you, just let it do it’s thing. Occasionally I’ll forget about it and find that I have been following a slow truck for a while and did not not even notice that I could have gotten around the truck and sped up.

U

UgotWheelz

I'm never going to buy anything newer than a TJ.

You realize the new 4 cylinder JL has a 48 volt lithium ion battery under the drivers seat AND to work it has a coolant loop to keep it warm, plus an air conditioning loop to keep it cool. Se you just ran coolant and AC lines under the chassis to keep the stop/start battery operational. So yer on the Rubicon and the engine shuts off. PRAY you don't damage the coolant, AC or extra battery cables under the chassis.

I just convinced myself, I want a Willys

View attachment 192533
There is something to say about these vintage Willys Overland models, mk1 bronco, Internationals, 1945-1971 Dodge powerwagons, and original 1st-5th gen 1935-1966 Chevy suburbans. You want to go a generation or two newer and the ever popular Ford Econoline van always a work horse that just keeps on working.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I guess you guys want the water in your bidet on your camp toilet heated? :grinning:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
For heated seats are a must anymore.

When I was 25 I landed on a tree stump during a skiing mishap, so there are times that my back hurts just from seating wrong, lifting stuff that day, not getting a good nights sleep. I do a lot of long trips and if my back starts hurting the heated seats help. In 2014 coming back from Alaska in my JKUR after about 3 hours I took some Advil or something for the pain and the heated seats went on.
Living in snow county, I like the remote start and adding it to my Tacoma, but I could live without if it was a pain to install.
The other stuff, I can take or leave.

U

UgotWheelz

I guess you guys want the water in your bidet on your camp toilet heated? :grinning:
Now that is exactly what me and the lady friend both want for our rigs! No way can we justifying paying over $4000.00 for a wood box on a steel frame with an axle bolted to it. Tell me about your trailer? Some of these basic teardrops cost more than my brand new BroncoSport.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Now that is exactly what me and the lady friend both want for our rigs! No way can we justifying paying over $4000.00 for a wood box on a steel frame with an axle bolted to it. Tell me about your trailer? Some of these basic teardrops cost more than my brand new BroncoSport.
I am an engineer so I designed and built mine from scratch. Check out the build thread. There are over $5000 in materials alone.

U

UgotWheelz

I am an engineer so I designed and built mine from scratch. Check out the build thread. There are over $5000 in materials alone.
I saw the link and looked nice job. ID, ME here so thinking about building my own as well but no longer have a shop to work in.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

My new truck has heated/vented seats and a heated steering wheel. Do I need them? No. Do I like them? Absolutely. Are they complicated? No. If they break you have a normal steering wheel and seat.

I sure wish my LJ had them!
If I buy another vehicle I will pick those two options without a doubt. As for the rest of the options on the truck like ACC and remote start - I doubt I would miss those.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I fail to see the appeal of going the same speed as the car in front of me, if he's slow I pass, if he's fast the man can talk to him on the side of the road instead of me.

Reactions: Ubiety