Do you really need heated seats and remote start?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43520
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
I'm getting ready to order a new JLU Rubicon and I don't think I'm going to max it out. Some of what I'm leaving off are the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and remote start. I don't have them in my current rig and don't think I'd use them very much if at all. Does anyone have any arguments as to why I would want/need these features or am I good to save the money? Thanks!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The heated seats and steering wheel are very nice, especially the seats, more so if you are old and your back hurts.

If I had it to do over again I would not buy the adaptive cruise, I don't like it, don't need it and insomuch as I'm kinda tall the big honkin box on the windshield sucks. I bought all of the tech that was available, I don't necessarily regret it, but I wouldn't do it again.

Remote start is a neutral for me, my wife uses it, I do not

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I use remote start and heated seats all of the time when it is cold. What I really love is the heated steering wheel (I have Reynauds so it is very very welcome as my hands are painful when cold). Note that heated seats/steering wheel only automatically come on if the temp is 40 or below when using remote start. I typically remote start the truck 10 minutes before departure and it is all warmed up, engine and interior, when I am ready to go.
I use and like the adaptive cruise control but I wish it had a setting to follow a little further behind; furthest follow setting is a little too close for my liking.

I might skip the heat features if I lived somewhere other than sunny, warm, tropical Washington. ;)

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm getting ready to order a new JLU Rubicon and I don't think I'm going to max it out. Some of what I'm leaving off are the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and remote start. I don't have them in my current rig and don't think I'd use them very much if at all. Does anyone have any arguments as to why I would want/need these features or am I good to save the money? Thanks!
You're good to save the money and put it towards adventuring.

I'm closer to 70 than 60 and--though I've experienced all those frills but heated steering wheel--I haven't missed them, felt I needed them, or even wished I had them. Whether out adventuring up in Northern Quebec in winter or here in Maine around town in winter, I'm not a fan of other shit that could go wrong or need money. Adaptive cruise...nah. I'd rather be paying attention to my speed myself, to be honest, and remote start? Nah again, I'm usually IN my rig on cold mornings.

I still have crank up windows. Ha!

And you spend most of your time in central Arkansas, right? I'd seriously ponder if the extra expense is worth the few times the luxury would seem worth it when away.

You're good to save the money and put it towards adventuring.

I'm closer to 70 than 60 and--though I've experienced all those frills but heated steering wheel--I haven't missed them, felt I needed them, or even wished I had them. Whether out adventuring up in Northern Quebec in winter or here in Maine around town in winter, I'm not a fan of other shit that could go wrong or need money. Adaptive cruise...nah. I'd rather be paying attention to my speed myself, to be honest, and remote start? Nah again, I'm usually IN my rig on cold mornings.

I still have crank up windows. Ha!

And you spend most of your time in central Arkansas, right? I'd seriously ponder if the extra expense is worth the few times the luxury would seem worth it when away.
Yeah, most of my time is spent in central Arkansas. And for day to day use, it'll be in the garage overnight so it won't be as cold as a vehicle sitting outside all the time. I'm hot natured and never really cold. And if/when it does get cold, I think gloves and a jacket will work just fine. I'm still curious for other's opinions and see if there's some great reason for them that I'm just not thinking of. But I don't think any of it would be of much use to me personally.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Your better off buying now than regretting later. I love both features on my truck and wouldn’t buy another without. Must of the time getting the next package up you get nicer, more comfortable seats with lumber(huge for me). I hope this helps, best of luck and congratulations on the new ride.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
1) Maybe not needed in Arkansas, however if you go travelling northwards it's good to have the heated seats, and helpful to have the heated steering wheel.
2) If you plan to sell the vehicle at some point the buyer may expect these options, or even if not they may help get a good price.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Getting into my vehicle in the mornings in Alberta, during my winters there (the first winter the highest temperature we experienced from end of December until the end of the first week in February was minus 30 C) heated seats would have been welcome.
I had a nice luxury two-door coupe once, though of a vintage too early for heated seats. Drove it all over the country east of the Mississippi through New England blizzards and southern humid summers and all.

I bought some real sheepskin covers--thick son-of-a-bitches-- for both front seats and never worried about cold or hot "pleather" again. I'm seriously thinking of looking up the same guy, a sheep farmer in Maine, who made my first set decades ago and getting some for Vannery O'Connor. Reminded me of working on farms every time they got wet if I left my sunroof open and it rained; quite a pleasant smell really, full of lanolin and wool; not offensive at all.

Reactions: MOAK and Ubiety

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

When you live in Southern California the heated seats and steering wheel are what you are trying to avoid most of the year. The one non-essential upgrade that I got on my JLUR was the keyless entry. I have found that to be a great convenience.

Reactions: Ubiety and Road

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I wish I still had the heated steering wheel. I have a battery powered handwarmer now so when it's cold down here in the frozen southland :grinning: Cold hands are kind of achy and sticking them under your arms or between the legs in traffic is problematic. The heated seats are nice on a stiff back but I don't think I would miss it much. Once had heated mirrors and I miss them. You don't think much about the frost/dew on your mirrors until you're already in the vehicle and underway. Oh, well, seeing behind you is overrated anyway. Kinda like brakes.

Reactions: Ubiety and Road

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I'm with you Fikuhl .. 20210319_124156_05.jpg20210217_104946.jpgAs you can see my with my vehicles... I'm an "analog" guy. The less technology the better. To me Overlanding is getting away from all the modern amenities and enjoying the simplest of things. I may order a new JL or new Bronco in the future and if I do it'll be a bare bones as possible Jeep with the Rubicon Package or Base model Bronco with the Sasquatch Package.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I don't have heated seats or remote start in my older vehicle which is fine. My newer vehicle has heated seats and remote start which works well for me in the winter because I can start it and melt the snow and ice off ( mostly) before driving to work. The other nice thing bout the remote start is that if use it in the summer with the climate control set, it turns the AC on for me and cools the vehicle down before I get in.

Reactions: Ubiety