Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
To answer the original question,"do you need lockers for overlanding?" I'd have to say that for us, yes. But that is just us. We go alone, way more often than not. Being alone requires finesse driving techniques be utilized and lockers allow me to finesse my way over, sometimes, extremely rough terrain. With open differentials you end up powering through a lot of terrain which leads to premature breakage of driveline components let alone just beating you and your rig up. Powering through also leads to even more degradation of the unmaintained high clearance 4x4 road. I simply cannot recall the last time I have broken traction except in muddy conditions, and even then the loss of traction was minimal. Automatic lockers, ( ie Detroit lockers or any other brand) are all fine and well until you end up in the ditch after sliding around on a wet or snow covered paved road. Interesting side note: a high clearance two wheel drive vehicle with a rear locker can traverse a lot more trails than a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle without lockers. Ask me how I know? My first overlanding rig was one of these..
downsized_0224001652.jpg

DBs

Rank 0

Traveler I

I address lockers as safety and insurance when going off-road.
same as off-road worthy tires.

You can overland in an AWD or a 2WD vehicle, and have the time of your life, but your limited by where you can go.

if you overland with a real off-road vehicle, you might as well use it’s added value, and have lockers.
Especially if you travel solo.
It enable you to drive slower, in more controlled manner, with less risk for breakage.

From my personal experience, digging or winching, is not always possible, and often the result of getting stuck where lockers would traverse you safely.

So yes,
If you overland goals go beyond the paved track, you want lockers.

97’ Toyota Hilux 2.4D, solid front axle, F&R E-lockers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK
Michael submitted a new blog post on the main site!

Do You NEED Lockers for Overlanding?

https://www.overlandbound.com/wp-content/upload...
[URL='https://www.overlandbound.com/need-lockers-overlanding/']Continue reading the Original Blog Post.[/URL]
No, off road it’s nice to have but an LSD or a good traction control can do 99.9% of anything. Look at those new landrovers what with 22 inch wheels climbing all over Moab with a set of Pirelli p zeros and a Starbucks precariously balanced on the laps of the kids on there way to school. Just a point worth making

Sent from my preposterously confusing iPad using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
No, off road it’s nice to have but an LSD or a good traction control can do 99.9% of anything. Look at those new landrovers what with 22 inch wheels climbing all over Moab with a set of Pirelli p zeros and a Starbucks precariously balanced on the laps of the kids on there way to school. Just a point worth making

Sent from my preposterously confusing iPad using OB Talk
I'e been wheeelin in the Moab region quite often. Most of the time one is either on slickrock, or going to be on slickrock. Lockers engaged on slickrock =s breakage. Instead of traction control I've become quite nimble at turning the locker switch on and off as necessary. LSDs are ok when they are new, but they wear out very quickly. When a traction control module fails, I don't even wanna think of the consequences nor the expense. But hey, I'm old school, give me old fashioned reliability of an on/off switch. cheers!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

The only other thing I would add is... if you have an e-locker USE IT....

If you have an e-locker and never use it... it may not lock in when you need it. They have a tendency to gum up and/or take forever to engage if you never or hardly ever use it.

Reactions: DBs and MOAK

BajaSurfRig

Rank 0

Traveler I

I would say yes. We usually travel as a single vehicle and have used the rear locker many times to navigate deep sand, mud and to getting unstuck quickly... That and some maxtraxxs and a shovel and it gets us out almost every time :)

Reactions: MOAK

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Thanks for the post! It definitely was something I was wondering about with my Tacoma TRD Sport. So far been able handle everything we’ve done but will be an addition down the the road.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk