Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael submitted a new blog post on the main site!

Do You NEED Lockers for Overlanding?

https://www.overlandbound.com/wp-content/upload...
[URL='https://www.overlandbound.com/need-lockers-overlanding/']Continue reading the Original Blog Post.[/URL]

Last edited:

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Great article, Michael! And especially enjoy the technical aspects of a drivetrain. Driving a Jeep GC with QuadraDrive II, I just flip a little lever and the computer decides whether to lock or not for me. As a novice, I like that, but I really like knowing what is happening!

As for needing lockers or not, I couldn't agree more! It's not a requirement. When I was a kid, I remember my dad saying "I can go anywhere a 4 wheel drive vehicle can go." While that statement might not be entirely true, I realized later that he was referring to skill as a driver and creativity in figuring out how to pass/get through challenging obstacles. This is the area I need work in -- how to drive obstacles. I'd like to get to an OHV park to practice, but after reading someone saying they got held up behind someone that got stuck on an obstacle, well, I don't want to be "that guy!"

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Great article, Michael! And especially enjoy the technical aspects of a drivetrain. Driving a Jeep GC with QuadraDrive II, I just flip a little lever and the computer decides whether to lock or not for me. As a novice, I like that, but I really like knowing what is happening!

As for needing lockers or not, I couldn't agree more! It's not a requirement. When I was a kid, I remember my dad saying "I can go anywhere a 4 wheel drive vehicle can go." While that statement might not be entirely true, I realized later that he was referring to skill as a driver and creativity in figuring out how to pass/get through challenging obstacles. This is the area I need work in -- how to drive obstacles. I'd like to get to an OHV park to practice, but after reading someone saying they got held up behind someone that got stuck on an obstacle, well, I don't want to be "that guy!"
If you happen to be in CA we are planning an OHV park get together in 2017 to go through some basic training! Thanks for reading!

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

My jeep club has been doing this for a few years too. Safety clinic, hands on and practice time. About 4 hours of lecture. Everything from trail etiquette to how lockers work to HAM radios to parts to bring. 2 hours of hands on in 3 areas. Hi lift jack/ packing your rig/ and winching. Then 2 hours of behind the wheel. Practicing spotting, hand signals, and picking lines. We even do a gig on how to safely back down a steep hill.
Mid April. Carniege OHV California

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

Good write up @Michael

I look at lockers (and nearly every other modification) like a form of insurance. By that I mean, whether it's lockers, a snorkel, winch, recovery boards, snap straps etc. what's cheaper?

What'a cheaper? A locker or a tow bill to get out of a whole you stuck in?
What's cheaper? A snorkle or a new engine?

Some people see these modifications and laugh. "Why do you have it if you haven't used it!?" Because if I need it, I'll be happy I have it. And again...it's cheaper then the alternative.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

G80 Lockers saved the day last month on a trip gumbo mud and no winch their was pucker factor but I kept going till I got out still debating that winch :)
but a snorkel on a gas rig? maybe for the dust that is if your not first on race day.. a diesel I can see if your crossing deep water but anyone I seen try that here got washed downstream some vehicles never to be seen again well that was until a buddy of mine took a rafting trip down a river and ended up very worried about the amount of gnarly sharp vehicle metal that could have ripped the raft and him as well so very common thing for vehicles to get washed down rivers...

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

When I was looking at the big picture about what I needed for my Overland Rig,. I was looking at failure points and talking to my Jeeping brothers and sisters, one thing kept popping up their lockers had issues at one time or another be it wires or air hoses or they just jammed up. To me the locker option was a No Go [emoji107] The direction I went with was the Detroit TrueTrac, always working and they have not let me down yet on any of my excursions.
And to add they half the price of traditional lockers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My jeep club has been doing this for a few years too. Safety clinic, hands on and practice time. About 4 hours of lecture. Everything from trail etiquette to how lockers work to HAM radios to parts to bring. 2 hours of hands on in 3 areas. Hi lift jack/ packing your rig/ and winching. Then 2 hours of behind the wheel. Practicing spotting, hand signals, and picking lines. We even do a gig on how to safely back down a steep hill.
Mid April. Carniege OHV California
Is this Esprit De Four you're talking about? I've heard good things about their Safety Clinics.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Nice article @Michael! I'd agree that lockers aren't needed for overlanding. There are lots of places to explore where they aren't needed. Sometimes I think all they do is get you more stuck! Don't forget, if you want lockers that means you'll need stronger axles (and cv's if you're doing the front). That means you can get turn bigger tires, so you'll need a bigger lift ;)

Lockers are a gateway mod...

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Is this Esprit De Four you're talking about? I've heard good things about their Safety Clinics.
We are Diablo 4 wheelers.

Esprit Del four is also a great club that puts their safety clinic on at Hollister Hills

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

When I was looking at the big picture about what I needed for my Overland Rig,. I was looking at failure points and talking to my Jeeping brothers and sisters, one thing kept popping up their lockers had issues at one time or another be it wires or air hoses or they just jammed up. To me the locker option was a No Go [emoji107] The direction I went with was the Detroit TrueTrac, always working and they have not let me down yet on any of my excursions.
And to add they half the price of traditional lockers.
Just keep in mind that a limited slip or non selectable locker is not always the best choice for all persons in all climates. Here in MN with the potential for sketchy / icy roads from November through April, sometimes having the ability to leave the axle(s) open/unlocked is better safer. If you have ever had the tail of your truck wag on you in the middle of winter on the highway, you know what I mean....

Reactions: mitchandbuck

bizcoachbrett

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Decatur, GA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

My FJ62 had powertrax auto locker installed in the rear diff when I bought it and I have wondered about how it compares to the selectable types. Not sure it has ever engaged since I've owned it... also, not sure I would be able to tell. I'm also a novice driver though, so I need to find a clinic like you guys are talking about near Atlanta, GA...

Reactions: RickLB
I have a Lokka locker in my front D30 axel. I did install chrome moly axles with super joints to toughen it up some. I also have limited slip in my rear diff and surprisingly it's worked very well. I recently was in some mud that was over my rock sliders and my only way out was filled with knarly tree roots in the mud. It took a few attempts but I did manage to crawl out over the roots. I wouldn't have been able to do that without it being locked.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Yea I wouldn't say you would need them, you just need to know what the limits of your vehicle are. So don't go rolling into terrain you can't get out or get your vehicle damaged.