Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Awesome! If you end up paying for the 'pro' version, message them in app and tell them Wes Vance referred you and they will give you a discount (I've been with the company for a while, its come a LONG way).
Well cool, will do, thanks!

Does the Wes Vance discount work anywhere else? I'll drop your name all over America . . . "Yo, I know Wes, y'know, Wes Vance. . .he said I get free steak here, right?"

No, all seriousness aside, I appreciate that. Looking forward to seeing how it works!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I've always kept track of all maintenance on my vehicles. That way I know whats been replaced and when. If a wheel bearing goes out I know if I've replaced it and when. It's nice to know how long things last.
I agree with keeping track of how long parts etc. last. I bought an Icon lift kit last April and two weeks ago I had to have the rear ones replaced after both shocks 'sprung a leak' as it were. Lucky they were still under warrantee and we didn't have to pay a thing. Oh happy day!

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Exactly. It's also nice no know how long a set of tires lasted so you know if it's worth getting another set. Mine is all on paper. I keep a medium sized note book in every vehicle. That way it's always with it. I also keep the receipts in a file at home. Some days I think I'm a bit of a record keeping hoarder.

Reactions: WesAdvance and Road

CABNOIR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Valley Center, CA
Member #

Does anyone else keep a journal of things that they do to their vehicle? I log every time I make a change to the Jeep and include the miles, date, type, cost, and any notes to give a detailed account as to what was changed.

Here's an example of my journal, what does yours look like? What other fields should I include and keep track of?
Hi, I was checking out notion and couldn't figure out how to do the spreadsheet at the bottom of your pic. Do you have any tips or templates you could share?

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Well cool, will do, thanks!

Does the Wes Vance discount work anywhere else? I'll drop your name all over America . . . "Yo, I know Wes, y'know, Wes Vance. . .he said I get free steak here, right?"

No, all seriousness aside, I appreciate that. Looking forward to seeing how it works!
I’m working on that ;) soon you’ll be able to drop that everywhere and people will stare at you in awe as you used the sacred ‘Wes Vance’ discount...

Thanks for your kind words [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Road

kcjoiner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Roy
Member #

Does anyone else keep a journal of things that they do to their vehicle? I log every time I make a change to the Jeep and include the miles, date, type, cost, and any notes to give a detailed account as to what was changed.

Here's an example of my journal, what does yours look like? What other fields should I include and keep track of?
I haven’t in the past but think it’s a great idea. I do keep a folder with receipts for everything I’ve done to my XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

This is a great idea. I'll prob start one along with a trip log along with modifications. I think I'll be able to track what the added weight does to fuel, and all other maintenance issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
started doing this with my rx8 a while back. it was helpful cause i would track where i bought gas. Rotary engines are really sensitive all the way around, and you can tell when you get a tank of bad gas.

i keep a moleskine journal in the truck where i write down every fill up with station type, amount, mileage, and volume of gas to track mileage. i also have every little thing i do to the truck recorded. more so i can go back and see what is and isnt done. i love journals and handwritten stuff. plus i keep all the receipts, and a spreadsheet of "project expenses" that is rather painful to look at.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

started doing this with my rx8 a while back. it was helpful cause i would track where i bought gas. Rotary engines are really sensitive all the way around, and you can tell when you get a tank of bad gas.

i keep a moleskine journal in the truck where i write down every fill up with station type, amount, mileage, and volume of gas to track mileage. i also have every little thing i do to the truck recorded. more so i can go back and see what is and isnt done. i love journals and handwritten stuff. plus i keep all the receipts, and a spreadsheet of "project expenses" that is rather painful to look at.
So as I read through this thread, I thought of how my wife got into something that is pretty cool. It is called bullet journaling, she creates spread sheets in her journels for almost everything, goals, to do lists, expenses.........you name it. We just decided to go ahead and purchase our state parks pass for all 3 vehicles we own instead of just one. So she made a spread sheet to see just how many times we use the pass, where/when/which vehicle. I think it's great. But I am just the opposite. I am more of a shoot by the hip kind of guy. I do see the benifites that come from keeping records.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Only periodic maintenance, I don't leave any kind of trail my wife can follow and find out how much I really spend. Ha ha

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Blacksmith Scott

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

I’m with you. I have tried iPad and iPhone apps but it just does not happen. When I get a receipt it is a physical reminder to do something...like record why/what/etc. Hand written is better for me. It works for my aquarium too!

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Yep, I keep track of the date, miles, where the parts are from, and installer (if not me). It really helps with parts warrantee, costs. I dont keep track of fluid changes, those are done religiously by me.
Also I have kept track of every gallon of gas I have put in the jeep, but thats a diffrent log

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I've had too many glitches and failures with apps and such, as well as loosing files and spreadsheets when PCs go belly-up.

I write it down in a journal/binder book. Besides, if you ever decide to part with the rig you can give it to the new owner as part of the history of the vehicle.

I have been doing this with my Land Rover. The primary binder - the one documenting repairs and such - is now needing to go from a 4" binder to a 6" one. Within this binder I keep the receipts of all the parts purchased, special tools purchased, gear purchased, modifications made and so on. I also print out the various tips-n-tricks used to make repairs and such that the shop manuals don't cover.

I also have a section within the binder that is a "wishlist" or "need to do" list.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I've played with the idea of doing something like this, but honestly I can't see myself bothering to do it. I've got way too much going on in my life to spend the time on this sort of thing. I admire the attention to detail represented here, though :D

Reactions: sabjku

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Besides my my wife keeping receipts of maintenance, upgrades (shocks, lifts, tires, etc), I keep a picture log of addons I did. This includes platform, fuse panel, plugs, and other add in I do. This way I can go back and look how it was installed.

Reactions: sabjku