Do You Keep a Vehicle Journal?

• HTML tutorial

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Does anyone else keep a journal of things that they do to their vehicle? I log every time I make a change to the Jeep and include the miles, date, type, cost, and any notes to give a detailed account as to what was changed.

Here's an example of my journal, what does yours look like? What other fields should I include and keep track of?

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

I keep a spreadsheet with dates and mileage of all my maintenance, along with all the upgrades and changes I make. Just something I can look back to so I know when I did something. I use Google sheets, so I can access it from my desktop, laptop, phone, and tablet.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Yup, I have a spreadsheet with everything I've spent on the Defender 130, including it's purchase price - scary number is the bottom line....
Also have an app that I log all the fuel used, and another with the mileage and locations.

Reactions: WesAdvance

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yep - I keep it all in a file on my phone in Dropbox so I can access and add to it from any of my devices or laptop.

I note down any work done, all maintenance stuff, with mileage and date and often location if I'm traveling, which is more often than not.

I also note any new noises, vibrations, odd handling, etc with mileage and date and any extenuating circumstances like what kind of weather or road condition, etc. Details have often helped later.

Now, with phones being such good cameras, I often document that way too, especially beginning and ending mileage for longer trips.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Well I didn't, until I read this thread...

I did usually keep important notes in my phone, like when oil changes need to be done, tire rotations (to keep the warranties I got with the tires) and things like that. I do most of my own maintenance, so I never worried too much about it. I suppose it does make sense to have it all in one place. I just bought a new commuter/possible project, so I guess there's no better time to start a habit.

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I keep all receipts and maintenance items in a 3 ring binder. All manuals and product information for truck purchases go in there too. I use clear sheet protectors to group items together. Each oil change gets a copy of the maintenance schedule from the owners manual, the receipt for the oil and the side of the box the filter kit came in. I also document the process for each change with photos and keep them on my google drive. Additionally, I keep a composition book with notes from each service that includes capacities and fluid types.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Does anyone else keep a journal of things that they do to their vehicle? I log every time I make a change to the Jeep and include the miles, date, type, cost, and any notes to give a detailed account as to what was changed.

Here's an example of my journal, what does yours look like? What other fields should I include and keep track of?
I do not but I am curious about yours. What software are you using there?

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Well I didn't, until I read this thread...

I did usually keep important notes in my phone, like when oil changes need to be done, tire rotations (to keep the warranties I got with the tires) and things like that. I do most of my own maintenance, so I never worried too much about it. I suppose it does make sense to have it all in one place. I just bought a new commuter/possible project, so I guess there's no better time to start a habit.
Yeah! Taking notes in your phone isn't bad either, better than having nothing. As my Jeep gets older, having a record of everything that has been touched really helps with troubleshooting new issues and finding fixes. Post an update once you get your log up and running! :D

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

I do not but I am curious about yours. What software are you using there?
I'm using an app called "Notion", I use it for literally... everything in my life :P Its awesome for Notes, Wiki, Project Management, etc. This same log could be done in Excel/Numbers or any other structured database software. :)

Reactions: Road

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Good Lord, and I thought I was anal.

I keep all receipts and note date/mileage, but no spreadsheet.

Do you folks keep those tidy journals for your own benefit or have you seen higher trade-in/re-sale values from keeping details to that degree?

Reactions: alaskan.lad

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

Do you folks keep those tidy journals for your own benefit or have you seen higher trade-in/re-sale values from keeping details to that degree?

I keep such detailed info to hopefully eliminate any warranty issues. I fear the dealer may try to "stick it to me" for not having my maintenance done by them. Also, I like to keep all my info consolidated in once place. The binder makes it easy. Here are some pics (maybe some pics, im new at this) so you can all lol at my OCD! :sunglasses:

edit to remove pics, they were huge!

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

I keep such detailed info to hopefully eliminate any warranty issues. I fear the dealer may try to "stick it to me" for not having my maintenance done by them. Also, I like to keep all my info consolidated in once place. The binder makes it easy.
Lucked out, have a good dealership and relationship with service/parts department, but understand dotting i's/crossing t's.

Lodi Petmalu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
Member #

You have to...I have mine in excel spreadsheet format. There's just no way to remember everything you've done to your rig.

Cummins_Powered

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I have had a good experience so far with the "Fuelly" app for iPhone. I track all gas with gallons used, mileage, and price. As well as any service I do; plugs, tire rotations, oil changes, etc.

Reactions: WesAdvance

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I am with you on the hardcopies of service and mileage, but haven’t taken it as far as some with the spread sheets and electronic logging.

I keep data logs/service papers for resale value, and personal reasons... a 3 ring on a rig shows pride of ownership, organization and responsibility — all virtues an “overlander” should exemplify.

For the tech guys I would advise a classic approach with less emphasis on data entry, what happens when the computer crashes? Aren’t we all here to disengage from the electronic hustle of the modern world?

That being said, I fully appreciate your OCD.

Reactions: nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

.........a 3 ring on a rig shows pride of ownership, organization and responsibility............what happens when the computer crashes? Aren’t we all here to disengage from the electronic hustle of the modern world?

That being said, I fully appreciate your OCD.
Agreed, and including a file of photos.
All backed up to the cloud automatically, either direct from the 'phone/tablet, or from the pc at home, including checks to ensure newer versions of the same file are maintained. File sizes are relatively small.
Also means that any updates done while away are always just another entry.
The main spreadsheet on the pc - it's back up is available wherever I am, assuming some sort of internet connection available, if not, remains in isolation on the device, until it connects.
But I do still have paper copies of all receipts for parts etc....
OCD - yup, probably :tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Reactions: alaskan.lad