Do you keep a knife or hatchet/axe in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

Sunshine4x4Overland

Rank I

Contributor I

North Wales, UK
First Name
Lauren
Last Name
Eaton
Member #

Axe, various knives, various saws, shears, loppers, pick axe, stanley knife...the laws are pretty strict here in the UK, carrying any kind of knife/axe, even a hammer, is counted as "going equipped" (inferred to do harm) if you're stopped and searched and have no good reason to be carrying them. They can't be stored within 3 feet of the driver either and must be stored securely. But as I work for the Green Lane Association (we look after trails in the UK) I have need of them for maintenance work and clearing vegetation.

SugarFreeShooter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Powell, OH, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PRJ
Day to day I have a multitool, folder, fixed blade, cheap Fiskars hatchet, and a folding saw. Nothing branded really, because I don't want to worry about any of it being stolen. a lot of people have pointed out that each tool has it's own purpose and I tend to agree.

All that said, on trips I'll scale up to a forest axe and carry nicer equipment like an ESEE knife and a Gransfors Bruks hatchet. Sometimes a chainsaw comes if I'm expecting the possibility of deadfalls.

Mark Sterling

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kings Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Felix
Last Name
Sterling
Member #

Living in the woodsy PNW I carry my machete, splitting axe, couple hatchets, two 24” & 36” hand saws, and my multi tool.
inside the rig I have small pocket knives for little tasks.
Never know when you may need to help more than just yourself out there. Be safe everyone.

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I try to cover ALL the bases for plants and animals:
  • Spetsnaz shovel - sharp as an ax
  • Hand ax - cheap no brand for firewood
  • Machete - small brush (WW2 surplus from my time on Guam)
  • Hand saw - just started carrying this, used surprisingly often
  • Knives
    • Fillet knife for fishing
    • Kabar
    • Kitchen knives
    • Two (three?) pocket knives in various locations

Reactions: Outdoordog

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Redundancy in all things, but particularly in cutting tools.

I will say that due to inherent safety I use a saw in every reasonable application, and only go to hacking when it is the only option.

I used a Cold Steel LTC Kukri almost daily for years, the old SK5 model. It was a wicked effective cutter and would easily take a 1.5" hardwood sapling with a single stroke and a satisfying *PING* . It broke off one day right in front of the grip and turned into an unguided aerial rotary cutter, which I fortunately and luckily avoided being struck by. Had luck not prevailed that day, I could have very easily found myself with unstoppable arterial bleeding.

That was the day I started using saws. They are not as satisfying , and they are not intrinsically safe, but they are safer than swinging a blade.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
For firewood and clearing trail I carry (these are always in the truck):
- Silky Big Boy folding saw
- Husqvarna hatchet
- Cheap pruning shears

I try to find reasonable sized (3-5" diameter) logs and just buck them up with the saw for firewood. If needed I use the hatchet to split wood.
Between the saw and the shears it's pretty easy to cut back branches that have grown into the trail.

I have a small throw away knife in each truck that never get used. When camping I mostly use either my pocket knife (Victorinox Bantam or Benchmade Mini Griptillian) and the knives in our kitchen kit.

Reactions: KAIONE

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Redundancy in all things, but particularly in cutting tools.

I will say that due to inherent safety I use a saw in every reasonable application, and only go to hacking when it is the only option.

I used a Cold Steel LTC Kukri almost daily for years, the old SK5 model. It was a wicked effective cutter and would easily take a 1.5" hardwood sapling with a single stroke and a satisfying *PING* . It broke off one day right in front of the grip and turned into an unguided aerial rotary cutter, which I fortunately and luckily avoided being struck by. Had luck not prevailed that day, I could have very easily found myself with unstoppable arterial bleeding.

That was the day I started using saws. They are not as satisfying , and they are not intrinsically safe, but they are safer than swinging a blade.
I use the baton method.
Hit the log with the big knife, then hit the knife with another log until it wedges in and splits the log.

I'll use my pocket knife to feather some sticks, and light them with the ferro rod.

Rarely, ill use a benzomatic map torch to just light the logs on fire love map gas.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Living in the woodsy PNW I carry my machete, splitting axe, couple hatchets, two 24” & 36” hand saws, and my multi tool.
inside the rig I have small pocket knives for little tasks.
Never know when you may need to help more than just yourself out there. Be safe everyone.
Hi Mark, I recently moved to the PNW and was wondering about a machete, I saw it in your post, do you use one much? Worth adding to my rig? Do you ever carry a chainsaw? Thanks

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

When I travel I carry a Mora Bushcraft, the Dustrude bucksaw (these two used most often) a hatchet or axe of some sort and a Glock folding shovel. All in a case made to hold pie irons…also some sort of spray oil to coat them after use.

Reactions: 9Mike2