DIY Solar Camp Shower

• HTML tutorial

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

When we tent camp or Boondock with our T@G camper, we want to be able to shower with hot water. There are “professional” units made of aluminum for hundreds of dollars. There are also innumerable DIY options using plumbing supplies for less than $100. Here’s my project.

8 feet total length
5.5 gallon (US) capacity
Total cost under $100

Details of the build on IG @DocAndJojo

IMG_6268.JPGIMG_6269.JPGIMG_6280.JPGIMG_6355.JPGIMG_6363.JPGIMG_6404.JPGIMG_6410.JPGIMG_6409.JPG

Attachments

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Nice work. Curious as to why you just didn't go with black abs pipe though. Also, are you pressurizing it with a bike pump or on board air.

Thanks.

Reactions: ZR2_Zamboni

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Good work, make sure your glue joints are good, I’ve read of some builds exploding when they get hot and pressurized bouncing down the trail. Looks like it was a fun and satisfying build

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

Nice work. Curious as to why you just didn't go with black abs pipe though. Also, are you pressurizing it with a bike pump or on board air.

Thanks.
ABS pipe can leech chemicals into the water with heat and UV exposure.

Pressure can be hand pump, bike pump or in my case, PowerTank CO2 system.

Reactions: HuddExpo

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

Good work, make sure your glue joints are good, I’ve read of some builds exploding when they get hot and pressurized bouncing down the trail. Looks like it was a fun and satisfying build
I used a lot of glue - appreciate the pointer.
Won’t travel with it pressurized, only at base camp. That’s the purpose of the pressure release valve (relieve pressure before travel).

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Thanks for the thread I have been thinking about this exact build for awhile now right down to the pressure relief valve.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I just use one of these...https://www.rei.com/product/115294/nemo-helio-lx-pressure-shower fit a decked drawer, like 9"x9"x9".

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I just use one of these...https://www.rei.com/product/115294/nemo-helio-lx-pressure-shower fit a decked drawer, like 9"x9"x9".
Nice, but what fun is that! DIY is where it’s at...

Reactions: RickR

TimRaphael

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dixon, NM, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Raphael
Nice. I added a boil head union because my spigot connect leaked on my original version (based on REI DIY)...Here's the new spigotIMG_3720.jpeg