DIY Roof Top Tent Hoist

• HTML tutorial

Hector45acp

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
So after a lot of online searching, I couldn't find a compact solution to hoisting my RTT on to my truck. My garage is too low so I can't lower it off the ceiling and drive away unfortunately. After a lot of brainstorming and about 3 trips to Lowes, below is my working hoist. I tested it with my weight (185lbs) first to be sure it would hold, and it didn't budge at all. My tent weighs about 135lbs so this solution works great.

I have 3 pulleys on it so the pull weight is down to 1/3 of the weight of the tent. It breaks down into two main pieces, the hoist arm, and the a-frame. The a-frame folds up so both pieces fit nicely in a small corner in the garage. If anyone is interested in further details let me know.

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
Nice stuff. Though I think I may never head towards a RTT with my current small vehicle, this is good for any hoisting requirement.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I likke the design. I DIYed one, two A beams like a sawhorse. but i like your design so i think i'm going to do the same this spring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Atlost67

angmadwil

Rank 0

Traveler I

Can I ask what tweaks you made to the drywall lift? This is the exact thing we are looking at doing to get our new RTT on our Jeep with low garage clearance. Seemed the easiest option. Any feedback would be awesome!

Reactions: Tatankaroo

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Very nice!
I just moved mine over to a trailer, before that I left it on my truck all the time.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Can I ask what tweaks you made to the drywall lift? This is the exact thing we are looking at doing to get our new RTT on our Jeep with low garage clearance. Seemed the easiest option. Any feedback would be awesome!
Added a few bolts to eliminate the tilt feature of the drywall carrier.

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Some good ideas in here! The drywall hoist seems like it would work really well... but the downside is you're stuck with another big, unweildy, 100+ lbs thing to store somewhere.

I think I'll try building the A-frame hoist.

Thanks!

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I use a hoist made for removing ejection seats from aircraft. Someone made this and the design is very simple. It would also be fold-able for storage with just a few modifications. I will, at sometime, modify this one so the main boom is adjustable to permit a longer reach, the entire crane is capable of folding, and the leg width/length are adjustable. It works OK now but would like it even more functional. The "Boat Trailer" crank on it uses an adjustable slip clutch so there is no "runaway load" if you let go of the handle. Very nice feature. If the load is too heavy you can always double-part the line with a small snatch block and shackle. The spreader is made of 80/20 Aluminum and is adjustable too, even though I have done a bad job here of adjusting the load to be level. If interested, I can take some additional pictures and provide measurements.....
IMG_2477[84773] 75.jpg

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Love the ideas! Thanks for sharing.. I need something to help the on/off possibilities rather than leaving the RTT on all year. These are helpful!

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
I use my tractor`s front end loader with pallet fork attachment.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So after a lot of online searching, I couldn't find a compact solution to hoisting my RTT on to my truck. My garage is too low so I can't lower it off the ceiling and drive away unfortunately. After a lot of brainstorming and about 3 trips to Lowes, below is my working hoist. I tested it with my weight (185lbs) first to be sure it would hold, and it didn't budge at all. My tent weighs about 135lbs so this solution works great.

I have 3 pulleys on it so the pull weight is down to 1/3 of the weight of the tent. It breaks down into two main pieces, the hoist arm, and the a-frame. The a-frame folds up so both pieces fit nicely in a small corner in the garage. If anyone is interested in further details let me know.

@Hector45acp, I'd like more info on this. I built az 12 foot ramp to get mt RTT on but it's getting harder each time for my wife to help out. So she asked me to come up with a better solution. You can PM me details or email..your choice. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Stickman
I am going for a semi hoisted solution. Below for video of what I am talking about. I'll report when once I try it. The only thing different I will be doing is that I will have the RTT on a folding table to remove some of the travel distance. I think I can alone pick up the back end.. swing it around and lay it on the table. from there use the hoist to lower the other end.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I have a back patio cover that I use to be the framework for my hoist. I got a $99 Harbor Freight hoist, used some ceiling mount pulleys, and it works great!
I decided on a 4 corner lift and used pelican cases to adjust the cable lengths

The last set of pulleys are squared up to the pull line for an even pull

The vertical pulleys transistions to the ceiling mount

Nice even lift (I hadn’t tied up the extra cable yet in the foreground of this photo)88652

Good little hoist for $99

Attachments

Vgnlndr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pleasanton, California, USA
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I am going for a semi hoisted solution. Below for video of what I am talking about. I'll report when once I try it. The only thing different I will be doing is that I will have the RTT on a folding table to remove some of the travel distance. I think I can alone pick up the back end.. swing it around and lay it on the table. from there use the hoist to lower the other end.

Hi Billy,
Did you ever try it? If so how did it work out? I am getting a Alu Cab RTT soon and I am looking for solutions to mount and remove the tent on my own. Thank you

Reactions: Poseidon