DIY Roof Top Tent Hoist

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

AdamK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bellevue, WA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Koczarski
Ham Callsign
K7ARK
I just built one similar to the one in the first post of this thread. I had a roof eave to deal with and used it for lateral support of the post.
20210121_135204.jpg

I clipped the top of the post to the tail of a roof truss to prevent it from moving side to side but it <could> move toward the driveway. There's a space between the post and the facia board to prevent the possibility of it push out on it.
20210119_145409.jpg

The back span is bolted to the header of the door opening to prevent any rotation around the axis of the post.
20210121_135051.jpg

Two double sheave pulleys, a trailer winch and some rope from amazon reduce the line tension 50 lbs for my 200 lbs tent.
20210121_135027.jpg
20210121_135100.jpg

Thanks to the OP for the idea. I used my structural engineering degree to make sure the member sizes were adequate. 200 lbs tent so there is 200 lbs compression in the post. The back span is 3' and the boom is 6' so there will be 400 lbs of upward force on the door header. I dangled my 202 lbs frame on the end of the boom to load test it. :) Not even a creak from the framing of my house.

Reactions: Lanlubber

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I just built one similar to the one in the first post of this thread. I had a roof eave to deal with and used it for lateral support of the post.
View attachment 184902

I clipped the top of the post to the tail of a roof truss to prevent it from moving side to side but it <could> move toward the driveway. There's a space between the post and the facia board to prevent the possibility of it push out on it.
View attachment 184905

The back span is bolted to the header of the door opening to prevent any rotation around the axis of the post.
View attachment 184906

Two double sheave pulleys, a trailer winch and some rope from amazon reduce the line tension 50 lbs for my 200 lbs tent.
View attachment 184907
View attachment 184908

Thanks to the OP for the idea. I used my structural engineering degree to make sure the member sizes were adequate. 200 lbs tent so there is 200 lbs compression in the post. The back span is 3' and the boom is 6' so there will be 400 lbs of upward force on the door header. I dangled my 202 lbs frame on the end of the boom to load test it. :) Not even a creak from the framing of my house.
You did a good job of engineering. I'd hire you. The rope hanging off the bolt kinda threw me for awhile. I thought it was a small wheel until I enlarged the photo. Very good pictures too. I hope someone dosent try to pull an engine with it but it probably could.

AdamK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bellevue, WA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Koczarski
Ham Callsign
K7ARK
You did a good job of engineering. I'd hire you. The rope hanging off the bolt kinda threw me for awhile. I thought it was a small wheel until I enlarged the photo. Very good pictures too. I hope someone dosent try to pull an engine with it but it probably could.
I'm going to use one of my snatch blocks on that bolt when I actually lift the tent. :) These photos are from my test of the rigging.

Looks like the Pentastar weighs about 350 lbs?? That might be pushing the capacity of the boom. They are at 835 psi bending stress with the 200 lbs tent. That's fine for your run of the mill Home Depot lumber. You'd have to check the specs on the rope, sheaves, etc, too. You'd definitely want to run some numbers before trying it with an engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanlubber

DRAX

Rank I

Contributor III

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Ham Callsign
W9DRX
This was something I tackled a few weeks back, I ended up re-installing the Lange power hoist-a-top that I had from when I owned a JKUR. Removed the donut stopper and now I can run 2 straps corner to corner to make an X over the top of the RTT, then hook the hoist to the straps and up (or down) she goes, all the way to the ceiling or all the way to the floor. No more asking neighbors to help lift it on/off (wife and daughters are too short to be effective), can have the RTT moved from where it's stored and on the truck in like 5-10 minutes start to finish, same when taking it off.