Samf48

Rank I

Contributor III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Ferguson
So after a lot of online searching, I couldn't find a compact solution to hoisting my RTT on to my truck. My garage is too low so I can't lower it off the ceiling and drive away unfortunately. After a lot of brainstorming and about 3 trips to Lowes, below is my working hoist. I tested it with my weight (185lbs) first to be sure it would hold, and it didn't budge at all. My tent weighs about 135lbs so this solution works great.

I have 3 pulleys on it so the pull weight is down to 1/3 of the weight of the tent. It breaks down into two main pieces, the hoist arm, and the a-frame. The a-frame folds up so both pieces fit nicely in a small corner in the garage. If anyone is interested in further details let me know.
@Hector45acp

very cool design man, I was in the exact same situation as you. My Jeep Cherokee wouldn’t fit in the garage with the tent so I ended up reverse engineering your design based on the pictures you posted. It worked well enough for me to hoist it up in the air. The 3 pulley system allowed me to hold the rope with one hand and tie a knot with the other. I would just say that on the end of the rope there needs to be a ratcheting mechanism that’s anchored to the wall so you don’t have to hold the rope while it’s up in the air. Overall though this was pretty nice considering I can break it down and fold it up for another day.

Attachments

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

Hey everyone. I was searching the web to find a solution for installing my rooftop tent by myself, and I came across this thread of ideas. I liked some of the ideas on here, but they weren't quite exactly what I was looking for - so I made my own version!
Like many of you, my garage roof is tall enough for the tent to be installed on the Jeep on the inside, but the garage door is too low to be able to drive in or out of the garage with it on top. The garage door opening is only about 7' tall, and I need at least 8' to clear. So I needed a way to install it on my driveway.
I decided to use the receiver hitch and make my hoist attach to the Jeep. I basically used 2" square tubing with 1/8" walls, a couple of pulleys, and a hand crank winch to accomplish this. I used a 1 3/4" OD round tube inserted in the vertical part of the lower receiver portion to allow the crane to pivot around. The crane comes apart so it's easy to install/remove/store.
To test it initially, I hung off the end of the crane and it held me just fine (I weigh 220 lbs), so I knew it would hold my 116 lb tent.
I have about $100 in this project, and it works great! Yes, I realize knowing how to weld helps, but this could also be made by bolting it all together with some modifications. If you have any questions, I would be more than glad to answer them.

Attachments

chrish

Rank I

Contributor III

West Yorshire, England
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hagain
Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7HUN
Hey everyone. I was searching the web to find a solution for installing my rooftop tent by myself, and I came across this thread of ideas. I liked some of the ideas on here, but they weren't quite exactly what I was looking for - so I made my own version!
Like many of you, my garage roof is tall enough for the tent to be installed on the Jeep on the inside, but the garage door is too low to be able to drive in or out of the garage with it on top. The garage door opening is only about 7' tall, and I need at least 8' to clear. So I needed a way to install it on my driveway.
I decided to use the receiver hitch and make my hoist attach to the Jeep. I basically used 2" square tubing with 1/8" walls, a couple of pulleys, and a hand crank winch to accomplish this. I used a 1 3/4" OD round tube inserted in the vertical part of the lower receiver portion to allow the crane to pivot around. The crane comes apart so it's easy to install/remove/store.
To test it initially, I hung off the end of the crane and it held me just fine (I weigh 220 lbs), so I knew it would hold my 116 lb tent.
I have about $100 in this project, and it works great! Yes, I realize knowing how to weld helps, but this could also be made by bolting it all together with some modifications. If you have any questions, I would be more than glad to answer them.
Great idea, nice simple concept, do you have a close up photo of the pully arrangement?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So after a lot of online searching, I couldn't find a compact solution to hoisting my RTT on to my truck. My garage is too low so I can't lower it off the ceiling and drive away unfortunately. After a lot of brainstorming and about 3 trips to Lowes, below is my working hoist. I tested it with my weight (185lbs) first to be sure it would hold, and it didn't budge at all. My tent weighs about 135lbs so this solution works great.

I have 3 pulleys on it so the pull weight is down to 1/3 of the weight of the tent. It breaks down into two main pieces, the hoist arm, and the a-frame. The a-frame folds up so both pieces fit nicely in a small corner in the garage. If anyone is interested in further details let me know.

Yes, I'd like to know more about how it operates. I have a roof rack that needs something like this so one man can install it. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 100#.
Is the door of the garage helping this contraption to operate ?

Reactions: Poseidon

Poseidon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Wetumpka , Alabama
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Camp
Member #

@Hector45acp

very cool design man, I was in the exact same situation as you. My Jeep Cherokee wouldn’t fit in the garage with the tent so I ended up reverse engineering your design based on the pictures you posted. It worked well enough for me to hoist it up in the air. The 3 pulley system allowed me to hold the rope with one hand and tie a knot with the other. I would just say that on the end of the rope there needs to be a ratcheting mechanism that’s anchored to the wall so you don’t have to hold the rope while it’s up in the air. Overall though this was pretty nice considering I can break it down and fold it up for another day.
That is genius

Reactions: Samf48

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

Yes, I'd like to know more about how it operates. I have a roof rack that needs something like this so one man can install it. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 100#.
Is the door of the garage helping this contraption to operate ?
Thanks for your response!
The hoist doesn't use the garage door/frame at all. It simply plugs into the receiver hitch on the Jeep. I made the hoist frame in two parts so I can install it by myself since it's kind of awkward fully assembled. Just for SA. I spent about $60 on the metal, $25 on the hand winch, and $10 on the pulleys.

Poseidon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Wetumpka , Alabama
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Camp
Member #

Since I have no garage this would work great, awesome design [emoji108]

Reactions: b1bjetmech

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
The hoist doesn't use the garage door/frame at all. It simply plugs into the receiver hitch on the Jeep. I made the hoist frame in two parts so I can install it by myself since it's kind of awkward fully assembled. Just for SA. I spent about $60 on the metal, $25 on the hand winch, and $10 on the pulleys.
Strong work

Do you need to remove the rear spare to place it in?

Vgnlndr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pleasanton, California, USA
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I BOUGHT something similar and I am glad to see that the concept worked. I took mine to a fabricator because I wanted to make the top arm longer, he told me that it would fold like a pretzel and could be dangerous. My tent is slightly heavier 194lbs.

This is what I bought for $179.00

I really like your DIY approach (also cheaper), if I could weld I would have done it myself also. Good job.

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

Strong work

Do you need to remove the rear spare to place it in?
Probably not - but I made the receiver portion of the hoist as short as I could to minimize the load on it. I think it would be ok if you made it long enough to clear the spare - I just chose not to.

Reactions: Poseidon

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

I BOUGHT something similar and I am glad to see that the concept worked. I took mine to a fabricator because I wanted to make the top arm longer, he told me that it would fold like a pretzel and could be dangerous. My tent is slightly heavier 194lbs.

This is what I bought for $179.00

I really like your DIY approach (also cheaper), if I could weld I would have done it myself also. Good job.
That deer hoist was my inspiration! I knew that I would have to modify it to make it work, so I priced out the materials and decided to just make my own.

So did you end up getting the deer hoist modified after all?

Vgnlndr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pleasanton, California, USA
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

That deer hoist was my inspiration! I knew that I would have to modify it to make it work, so I priced out the materials and decided to just make my own.

So did you end up getting the deer hoist modified after all?
No not yet, waiting on another friend who can weld. Once I do I'll post the results here. Maybe I can just figure out a way to bolt on the additional length needed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I need to see more to understand how it works. I don't see anything that can plug into a hitch on the three pics you supplied.

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

I need to see more to understand how it works. I don't see anything that can plug into a hitch on the three pics you supplied.
That's weird - I posted 8 pictures. You only see 3? Ok - so here is a picture that shows the receiver portion of the hoist.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's weird - I posted 8 pictures. You only see 3? Ok - so here is a picture that shows the receiver portion of the hoist.
Yes, for some reason there is an x on 4 or 5 pictures on my end. I see the receiver pic fine.

Hector45acp

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
@Hector45acp

Awesome job reverse engineering, looks great, wish I saw your IM earlier. I've got some crude MS paint blueprints with measurements I drew up if anyone needs them.

Reactions: Samf48

Hector45acp

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
That's awesome, love the design! Reminds me the way WWII era BB's would retreive recon planes from the water.

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

Great idea, nice simple concept, do you have a close up photo of the pully arrangement?
Here are some close up pictures of the pulleys. I slotted the end of the square tube on one side, and used a bolt with washers to help center it. The pulleys are 2" in diameter.

Attachments

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

This is genius. Our house is currently be built so I’m not sure if the garage door height will be tall enough for driving in and out with a tent mounted. HOA wouldn’t let us have a taller garage door than anyone else. If not I’m totally using this idea, so simple and easy. Bravo