Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Does anybody have any info on Rock Sliders? I want to build my own, where I live nobody has any nor have they heard about them so I have nothing to base myself.
I live in deep south Texas and shipping just kills me (it adds a whole lot more). I think I can come up with some of the design I just need to know some of the details.
I want them for a 4 door Toyota Tacoma long bed.
Primarily what I want is:
What gauge and size steel?

Any other helpful details would be appreciated. (even if its for another vehicle)

Thanks!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

MedfordChris

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Medford, MA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1CWU
I've been thinking about trying to make my own sliders as well. Looking at vendor sites that make rock sliders for my truck (Nissan XTerra) and here's what I have generally found:
Main Rail = 2"x2" square tube, 3/16" wall thickness
Mounting Legs = 1.5"x1.5" square tube, 3/16" wall thickness
Outer Rail = 1.75" round tube, .120" wall thickness
Mounting Plates = 1/4" or 5/16" thick
Gussets = 1/4" thick
Hope that helps!

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

MedfordChris, [emoji106] thank you!
Heck yea that helps out! That’s awesome! Really appreciate the info.
I am gonna use the OEM side steps as a guide for attaching to my truck.

Thanks again!

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I’m not sure what kind of style your going for. My sliders are A very simple square tubing design with some supports to the body. Their website says they use 3/16” inner hitch steel. Which from what they say is the same steel made to use trailer hitches. So it’s stout. Iv lifted the vehicle from them. Iv slammed them with the full vehicle weight on rocks and what not. Not a single bend. From a cherokee forum, I believe there’s only one documented case of someone bending these. So I guess the 3/16 hitch steel is some sturdy stuff.

Mine are from Rocky road outfitters.

This is to show the design.

View attachment 96496

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I’m not sure what kind of style your going for. My sliders are A very simple square tubing design with some supports to the body. Their website says they use 3/16” inner hitch steel. Which from what they say is the same steel made to use trailer hitches. So it’s stout. Iv lifted the vehicle from them. Iv slammed them with the full vehicle weight on rocks and what not. Not a single bend. From a cherokee forum, I believe there’s only one documented case of someone bending these. So I guess the 3/16 hitch steel is some sturdy stuff.

Mine are from Rocky road outfitters.

This is to show the design.

View attachment 96496
Thanks for all the info.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Does anybody have any info on Rock Sliders? I want to build my own, where I live nobody has any nor have they heard about them so I have nothing to base myself.
I live in deep south Texas and shipping just kills me (it adds a whole lot more). I think I can come up with some of the design I just need to know some of the details.
I want them for a 4 door Toyota Tacoma long bed.
Primarily what I want is:
What gauge and size steel?

Any other helpful details would be appreciated. (even if its for another vehicle)

Thanks!
Really never heard of them? Austin and san antonio area have lots of rocks. There are alot of websites that sell premade sliders for your truck @ around $300 there are weld yourself kits starting at $99

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Really never heard of them? Austin and san antonio area have lots of rocks. There are alot of websites that sell premade sliders for your truck @ around $300 there are weld yourself kits starting at $99
I haven't met anybody down here that knows about them. Then again I'm not a big time 4X4 guy, I'm doing this cause we had some close calls & probably need it where we have been going elk hunting in Colorado. San Antonio is about 4 hours north of me and I haven't called around to check but I do plan on doing so cause elk season is getting closer and closer.

$300 sliders? Where? I would love to find those, $99 wow! Please tell me where I can find some of these deals, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!