Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
We have mostly used paper plates on previous trips, but want to pack lighter, and maybe not use so many disposable products (though at least we could burn those) while we're at it.

We don't really have any good way to do dishes when we're in the Subaru. Our pop up has a sink, but the more we learn about overlanding, the less the trailer makes it out.

Heidi (my wife) was thinking about some collapsible containers, one for soap, one for rinse, to conserve water. Before we pull the trigger I thought I'd ask around here. I didn't find any threads on this, so here we are!

What are you using? It's just her and I, with an 8 year old. The upcoming trip is only a few days, and probably one pot, one skillet, some plates and utensils. Let's see what you've got.

Containers we are looking at:

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Your video didn’t work... but my kitchen is a little... low tech. But it works for a family of 5 for usually 3 day weekends, sometimes longer.

All in one moving box that I liberated from work. Little Coleman stove sits on top.

The little black bags are a breathable sort of canvassy thingy. I think that’s the technical name anyway. Lol. Basically they Velcro closed.
1. Has bear spray and tire sealant
2. Has a hiking pot set. I use it when I throw the bags on a street bike that I use for camping occasionally (I find it easier to just have one set up and throw stuff out as required). Anyway. Also contains dish soap, little wash clothes etc.
3. Utensils. 2 travel mugs
4. First aid kit, some napkins etc.

Box contains 5 bowls, 5 plates, frying pan, pot, kettle, toaster thingy, and a few odds and sods stuff about.

Lastly there’s my sink. Doubles as holding my propane and a griddle.

And I know it’s more than you asked but I was on a roll. [emoji846]

Reactions: Road and Ripley1046

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We have a plastic bus tub, sponge, brush, soap, and a zodi camp shower. Cant cut grease without that hot water.
Greasy stuff collects more dust also.

Reactions: Ripley1046

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

MSR mess kit for 4. It includes nesting pots and pans, large plates with sides that double as bowls, lids, pot/pan handles, amd insulated mugs all in one quick setup. They have a kit for 2 also.

We love it, works great. We currently use the big pot as a wash tub when we are done.

Best part is it’s ultralight backpacking stuff, very easy to pack.

James

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

most of our camp dining gear & cook ware is GSI Blue Enamel Ware. Wife uses a plastic wash tub & dawn dish soap. She heats up water in a blue enamel wear stock pot, pours off into her wash tub & washes everything plates, stove, eating & cooking utensils as well as our tables. Just like the member above stated in post #3 "Cant cut grease without that hot water. Greasy stuff collects more dust also."

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've tried and experimented with a vast number of things over the years as far as plates and washing dishes, which seem to be the two things you're asking about most.

I've strayed away from using enamel or metal plates because they are just too damned hot sometimes to hold in your lap or hand while eating hot meals. I really like the plastic or polypropylene plates that nest together easily and take up no room at all.

For washing, I do have a couple of the collapsible tubs, hoping they would fit in the sink seen in the image below, and they do, but not as perfectly as the cheap white plastic tubs you can get at the grocery or Target. I keep them around though, for when I'm doing laundry on the road or need another tub in addition to the one I use as sink. They nest together nicely.

For washing, my system has evolved to using only one tub. Most of my meals are done with the two pieces you see on the stove below. When done cooking, I put what I want on my plate, move whatever is left into the container it will be stored in as leftover, scraping out the pan as much as possible, then wipe it clean as I can.

Then I put enough water in the pan to heat up on low while I eat. If I haven't used the pan but have other stuff to wash, I put a bit of warm water into a small bowl. Add a bit of biodegradable soap to the pan or the bowl and it becomes the place to soak a sponge and clean the few dishes and utensils I've just used. You can do the same with a Billy Pot, if you use one, which are taller and thinner and may suit you better as a dishwater holder.

I tend NOT to use my kettle for soapy water, but only ever put clean water in it for heating up. My tea and coffee stays a lot better tasting that way.

For biodegradable soap, I like Dr Bronner's in those tiny 3-4 oz bottles, as it's typically easier to find at co-ops or health food joints when in town than it is to find other biodegradable dish soap. You only need a drop or two, so it lasts a long time. It can also be used for personal washing and clothes, which also saves on stuff you have to buy or store. The peppermint Dr Bronners is really quite refreshing in a shower. Dr Bronner's Lavender is nice for clothes without being overly perfume-y and can be used for dishes and personal washing as well.

Trust me, you'll have people going "That you that smells fresh like spring? Man, that's nice." Using Dr Bronner's around camp also brings back a flood of memories going way back to the late 60's, when I first started using it.

Just washed items get stacked next to the sink until I'm done washing everything, including the pan I've just used for soapy dishwater. I don't rinse one by one as they're cleaned with a full tub of rinse water or under a running faucet, but stack everything until I'm ready to rinse all of it. I save a lot of water that way. Then I rinse it all quickly and easily under a very light stream of water, which gathers in the tub below. It ends up being a good clean rinse, so I leave that water in the tub for later rinsing of other items I might use throughout the day like my coffee thermos, the occasional knife or fork, or small cutting board.

As I most often solo-camp, this has ended up being the most efficient, cleanest, and least wasteful process I've used. I used the same system for a large Thanksgiving dinner in camp too though, for three, with only minor adjustments so know it can easily be scaled up when needed.

roaddude_xv2-galley_bigbend-0802.jpg

roaddude_partnerstove22-1310.jpg

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

The collapsible tubs don't nest together very well, so if you are wanting more than one tub, it is likely that the white plastic ones from Walmart/target will take up less space. they are way cheaper too. I carry three of these. two-three-five, doesn't matter they take up the same amount of space when nested together.
they are about a dollar or so. here's the one I use...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-8-Qt-7-6-L-Dishpan-White/45942067?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227038513871&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=90382629272&wl4=pla-182542306112&wl5=1013406&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=45942067&wl13=&veh=sem

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
This is why I made the thread. I was probably overthinking things, which has been known to happen occasionally. I see some cheap plastic tubs in my future.

The weather is finally getting to human habitable levels here in northeast Wisconsin, so we are going to pre pack the Subie one of these weekends to see where everything falls before the next trip.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This tub is cool because it has a drain plug which can trap all of the food debris before you empty your water somewhere.

Joseph Joseph 85056 Wash & Drain Wash Basin Dishpan with Draining Plug Carry Handles 12.4-in x 12.2-in x 7.5-in, Grey

Link: http://a.co/8MnhZZw

The OB mobile app is messing up html links by the way... edited from home now.

I also own a couple of these:
UST FlexWare Sink, 2.25-Gallon, Orange

Link: http://a.co/9QiXPHa

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This tub is cool because it has a drain plug which can trap all of the food debris before you empty your water somewhere.

Joseph Joseph 85056 Wash & Drain Wash Basin Dishpan with Draining Plug Carry Handles 12.4-in x 12.2-in x 7.5-in, Grey

The OB mobile app is messing up html links.

Go to Amazon and search for this product. Nice and rugged. I have had the cheap tubs as well. They just get beat up over time.

B00AVWE7O2

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7EJ1H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_9EjSJzySejIAo
Yeah, that's pretty cool, the square Joseph 85065 with drain.

I was going to add a drain, strainer, and plug to one of the white tubs I have, with a straight pipe going into a 5gal bucket under my outdoor sink, but it ended up not being necessary, as it is super easy to lift the tub and drain it directly. I've worked out a system where I rarely get much debris or food matter in my tub, just water. And the no-see-ums and fruit flies that seem to flock to it in certain places, when there's any water left in it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We built ours. It's been pretty nice with having two boys, 1 and 4. We use reusable mess kits. We pack as littke as we can ger away with!View attachment 51632
Great setup. Do you have a write up on it anywhere? It looks like you are using a connector system for the aluminum tubing. Just curious what you used. I have been thinking about building something similar.

Thanks!

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Great setup. Do you have a write up on it anywhere? It looks like you are using a connector system for the aluminum tubing. Just curious what you used. I have been thinking about building something similar.

Thanks!
Thank you. I don't currently have a write up on it. We build them to sell. But, yes if you want to build one, check out Esto Connectors!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I do a lot of sailing and have learnt over the years plates and bad weather dont mix
We use stainless steel dog bowls. For breafast , dinner , and tea, Try them out A good dog bowl will last a life time. And great for overlanding , and 4x4 in general stack well and fit in side most dutch ovens

Reactions: Ripley1046

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Eating or drinking off anything metal is a pain. Metal conducts heat and cold too well. Put hot food on metal and it is difficult to manage comfortably. In a few moments the metal gets cold and so does the food. Inexpensive plates are simple to come by at the dollar stores and are easily replaced. They also hold up fairly well to abuse, such as overloading, frisbee throwing and when used to level your rig. Always keep some tinfoil in your kit, never know when you'll need a hat for mind preservation. (<;

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I’m considering getting away from Dawn and using biodegradable soap... just an off topic thought that’s been forming in my brain....
I switched to Dr Bronners a couple of years ago and been happy with the results.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Link: http://a.co/8MnhZZw

The OB mobile app is messing up html links by the way... edited from home now.

Link: http://a.co/9QiXPHa
I use the flex bucket for emergency oil containment. Nice collapsable stuff though