Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
ive been looking to buy the right Defender for awhile. As I troll various sites in search of the perfect rig I keep seeing fully outfitted Discovery IIs for half the price. Should I consider settling for the equipped Discovery or stick it out in order to get the rig I've always wanted, then spend more to outfit it. Am I really getting the extra bang for the buck with a Defender?

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

If you get the defender you're really getting it for the look unless you end up getting a longer 110" or a manual transmission.

They both offer about the same engines, solid axles, and terrain response systems. My recommendation would be to look for a '04 Disco. This one was the last year they were made and came standard with a central locking diff. The one thing that makes a huge difference to me though is that the interior of a Discovery is outrageously better by getting more space, heated seats, heated front windscreen, sunroof...

True story, a guy in the local rover club had one of the coolest 110" Defenders and ended up selling it for a LR3. The reason was that after taking a trip to AZ in the defender his wife said enough of this after having to endure with the smell of diesel, road noise, and no ventilation from the horizontally opening side windows.

Reactions: Dakota Boren

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If you get the defender you're really getting it for the look unless you end up getting a longer 110" or a manual transmission.

They both offer about the same engines, solid axles, and terrain response systems. My recommendation would be to look for a '04 Disco. This one was the last year they were made and came standard with a central locking diff. The one thing that makes a huge difference to me though is that the interior of a Discovery is outrageously better by getting more space, heated seats, heated front windscreen, sunroof...

True story, a guy in the local rover club had one of the coolest 110" Defenders and ended up selling it for a LR3. The reason was that after taking a trip to AZ in the defender his wife said enough of this after having to endure with the smell of diesel, road noise, and no ventilation from the horizontally opening side windows.
Do you know why he picked the LR3?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Just curious, why do you feel that is the case? I've always loved the look of the Defenders but can see Ezalis' friend's point as well. Some day, I will own a Land Rover . . .
Although the Disco 2 was a nice vehicle the Defender just feels "Right for the job". OK it's not as luxurious internally but i feel more confident in its capability to take me where I want to go.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Well they only car that would bring me tears for selling was my defender... It was a 2013 MY with the new 2.2 puma engine

It was full of road noise would go past 145 Km/h...but on the other hand it fills a void that no other car can fill it has charisma and it's a head turner

Still going to buy one looking for a D90 svx

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Mines a 90 2009 2.4 puma. I wish I'd invested in a 110 2.2 puma instead. I wouldn't be without it now. I love getting behibd the wheel every time. I love the comaradarie from other passing Defender drivers. (except for miserable farmers).

Last edited:

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Mines a 90 2009 2.4 puma. I wish I'd invested in a 110 2.2 puma instead. I wouldn't be without it now. I love getting behibd the wheel everyone. I love the comaradarie from other passing Defender drivers. (except for miserable farmers).
I'm saving up to buy a svx edition or one they only made for Germany a black pearl edition one with a serial number plate

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Similar to @Defender 90 Keith - I went from driving a Discovery 1 (300tdi) to a Defender 90 (300tdi) and the differnce is noticable

Firstly, Defender is a lovely capable motor and ideal for alot of places - the older ones have less electronics which means its mostly mechanical - in my opinion easier to work on and less to go wrong

Discovery is a lovely to drive for long distance - you basically pay for comfort with it

I do often drive a Puma 110 and again its a completely different beast again!

I've always wanted to own/drive Defender but the Disco came first and was ideal for what i wanted
(Next is a 110 when time/money allows)